Chester F.C. - A view from Bumpers Lane

OnTheLevee

Every year I play FM starting from the bottom and working my way up. This year is no different. I holidayed through the first season and took Chester F.C., a newly promoted side from the lower leagues of the English Pyramid. They play their games at Deva Stadium on Bumpers Lane in Chester.

article-1222171-064A34F40000044D-226_468x286.jpg

Game Setup:

English Leagues (
Down to Blue Square North/South
)

Spain (Top Div -
Non Playable
)

Italy (Top Div -
Non Playable
)

France (Top Div -
Non Playable
)

Germany (Top Div -
Non Playable
)

I only intend to manage Chester F.C. unless I get fired. ;) The aim is to go as far as I can while playing as realistically as possible. That means the standard LLM rules will apply with regards to scouting, plus I will try to stay within the wage budget and not run the club into debt (this may mean making some tough decisions with regards to letting players leave when their wage demands become too much). Also, I will attempt to focus on local youth where possible and not sign players I don't deem likely to play in English Lower League football (ie. Foreign players will not be signed unless it is likely they would realistically consider Chester).

I have completed 8 seasons currently and am in my 9th so the early season reviews will be brief based upon what I can remember. Also, screen shots will be limited from the earlier years. I will be using a similar format to that used by other users as there seems to be a general standard which makes following a story effectively.

So with out further ado...

CHESTER F.C.

190px-Chester-fc.svg.png

Season 2012/2013: Blue Square North

My memory from this season is rather sketchy. I know the usual squad overhaul took place. The club's amatuer status made this a rather painless task in terms of finances and it resulted in the following players coming in.

Transfers

Of these players the most impressive were Welsh playmaking midfielder Tom Lawrence, English midfield enforcer and inspirational leader Aaron Kudi, solid veteran target man Vincent Péricard and the suprisingly effective English goal poacher Luke Hacker.

2012/13 Season Best Eleven

After the squad was sorted out the season went very well.

League Table

leaguetable1213.jpg

FA Trophy

3rd Round exit after losing away to Newport Co. after extra time.

FA Cup

Made it to the First Round proper before being cruely knocked out on pens by non-League Lowestoft

Other News of Note

On a personal note I was named Blue Square North Manager of the Season.

An interesting prospect came in through the youth system by the name of Ian Roberts. A very quick dribbler who played as an attacking midfielder. One to watch.

Onward to Conference National.

CHESTER F.C.

190px-Chester-fc.svg.png

Season 2013/2014: Blue Square Premier

A few fringe players were moved on and last season's twenty goal veteran striker Vincent Péricard was let go when his one-year contract expired due to his excessive wage demands.

About a dozen players were brought in including impressive young keeper Sam Johnstone whose aerial ability was outstanding, other impressive recruits included explosive ex-Newcastle youth winger Ryan McGorrigan, experienced striker Jordan Robertson, and Turkish higher league reject midfield maestro Oguzhan Özyakup.

The formation of the side moved away from a standard 4-4-2 to a 4-2-3-1 to accomodate 16 year old Ian Roberts in the central attacking midfield role, where he would become a regular. Advanced playmaker Welshman Tom Lawrence continued to impress. However, it was new signing Jordan Robertson who was the most important player for the season with 30 goals in all competition, a club record.

Transfers

Best Eleven

League Table

leaguetable1314.jpg

The season started out with some patchy form as the team struggled to gel early on and the adjustment to playing a different formation probably didin't help matters. The team gradually improved throughout the year and the season ended with a run of 6 straight wins to finish just outside the playoff positions. I finished the season with the utmost confidence that if the latter half of the season could be replicated in terms of form for the next season then promotion would follow.

FA TROPHY

Lost to eventual finalists York 1-0 in the Third Round.

FA CUP

Lost to Grimsby at the first time of asking 1-0 in the Fourth Qualifying Round.

It seems my penchant for crappy cup performances from all previous FM's had returned.

Other News of Note

Impressive Jordan Robertson missed out on the Conference National Top Goal Scorer award by one goal.

I was shortlisted and finished third in the Manager of Year Award.

Ian Roberts continued to develop. I decided that since he was never going to reach his potential as a pure impact sub with our facilities as they were he going to have to a fair chunk of games. He probably wasn't ready at the time, but as he began to start more games in the second half of the season our form increased dramatically as a result of his link up with Jordan Robertson, and he never looked back.

Aaron Kudi last season's inspiration had a difficult season and was limited to the bench for the most part.

Promotion awaits. ;)

I was going to wait until you had completed all 8 seasons on the thread before I posted but I will post now so you know people are reading it and are interested :)

Great start to your career. :thup: On a personal level, I have actually been to the Deva Stadium to watch my beloved Yeovil Town beat the now defunct Chester City. The long trip back down the M6 & M5 was very sweet after our win.

Gutted to see Yeovil suffered 2 successive relegations in your game :(

All the best :D

Chester F.C.

190px-Chester-fc.svg.png

Season 2014/2015: Blue Square Premier

Once again some of the lesser lights of the squad were moved on as well as the difficult decision to move on solid defender and vice captain Ryan Conner due to wage demands and over-competition for places. Luke Hacker was also moved on after a disappointing season, he wasn't cut out for Conference National football.

Of those to come in none ended up being key players and none were overly impressive generally.

However, the players we already had improved massively, especially in defence. Apart from that right winger Ryan McGorrigan, central midfield pairing of Tom Lawrence and Oggy Özyakup and Israeli left winger Assulin were all impressive in midfield. Although not included in the overall best XI, Aaron Kudi improved to be a crucial member of the squad. While Ian Roberts combination with Jordan Robertson continued to produce results.

Transfers

Best Eleven

League Table

leaguetable1415.jpg

The season started brilliantly, continued that way and despite a little blip around the xmas period the title was wrapped up by the start of April and I was able to give the youth a few games at the back end of the season to gain some experience.

FA TROPHY

Lost 2-1 away to eventual winners Colwyn Bay in the Third Round.

FA CUP

Lost 1-0 away to the UN of non-league football Colwyn Bay again in the Fourth Qualifying Round.

Other News of Note

Ian Roberts continued to develop and really solidified his position in the first XI and vindicated my decision to start him last season when he probably wasn't quite ready.

Another bright young player to come through the youth system was commanding centre-back Graham Forrester. He didn't get a game but with the defence playing well there was no need. Also, I wasn't prepared to throw a 15 year old in at centre back where he was likely to get mauled by opposition strikers.

I won Manager of Year for the Conference National.

No players won any individual awards not that that was such a bad thing as the season was truly a team effort.

So into the football league we go. Was feeling pretty good about my squad too.

CHESTER F.C.

190px-Chester-fc.svg.png

Season 2015/2016: League Two

The impressive Israeli left winger Gai Assulin was moved on when terms could not be agreed. As were a few other foreign players who were, by contrast, dissappointing in terms of performance. A few defenders went out to be replaced by what seemed to be some quality youth with bags of potential. Also, I was looking to begin involving Chester youth centre back Graham Forrester in first team duties. Looking back at the transfers from 2015-16 in 2021 I can see this window would prove to be a very important season for transfers.

The team played well but we lacked a goal scorer and that meant it would be a rather mediocre season. Goalkeeper Sam Johnstone continued to impress. The defenders performed well with young centre backs McCullough and Boateng forming a good partnership. Young fullback Bihmoutine was solid while the experienced Adam Blakeman was a mainstay and quite capable getting forward. Intelligent young centre back Adam Webster also contributed well when he was called upon. Our enterprising midfield was solid as ever with Aaron Kudi rising to the occasion upon being given the captain's armband. While Oggy was a bit dissappointing, Ryan McGorrigan was effective and Welsh wizard Tommy Lawrence did a job and then some in his new inside forward role on the left. Ian Roberts had a breakout season and it was dissappointing that those in front of him struggled for form and consistantcy. Especially Jordan Robertson who had a shocking season. Youth striker Dean Duncan and Chester youth product Michael Mitchel did as well as could be expected filling in but, as 18 year olds tend to be, they were terribly inconsistant.

Transfers

Best Eleven

League Table

leaguetable1516.jpg

Once again we start brilliantly and I thought back to back promotion was on the cards. However, come October the wheels absolutely fell off. Completely. We just simply could not score. And as generally happens once the goals dried up for us they started flying in at the other end. All in all we won 2 league games between mid-October and the start of March. It was looking like a relegation battle might arise but thankfully some reasonable form returned and we began again to pick up points.

Fixtures 1 : Fixtures 2

JPT

Lost to Peterborough 4-1 over two legs in the North Final.

LEAGUE CUP

Lost 3-0 away to icky Leeds in the First Round.

FA CUP

Lost away to Championship side Gillingham 3-0 in the Second Round. My most hated round to lose in being so close to being able to draw Premier League opposition.

Other News of Note

Pacey dribbling attacking midfielder

Ian Roberts had an impressive season, his best yet.

Commanding centre back Graham Forrester only appeared in two league matches. I was planning on involving him in the later part of the season but the horror run meant that results in the present became the focus over development for the future.

Forgot to mention a youth product from 2013/2014, English goal poacher Michael Mitchel who had a decent start to his career in the first team in what was a very dissappointing season for Chester F.C. forwards.

Hoping for an improvemet next season.

CHESTER F.C.

190px-Chester-fc.svg.png

Season 2016/2017: League Two

Jordan Robertson was released on a free after his horror 15/16 season first time around in League Two. Young striker Dean Duncan would spend the year on loan to save on wages because of his poor performances after I stupidly relented to his whinging by making him one of the highest paid players at the club in 2015/2016 based purely on his potential. Finally, and most dissappointingly, Welshman Tom Lawrence was sold from under my nose when the chairman accepted a bid of £230k.

Although the outgoings were dissappointing for various reasons I was pleased with those who came in. Young Scottish left winger Brian Duffy came in and would have been in competition with Tommy Lawrence for the left wing spot so we didn't lose much. Solid Irish midfielder Sean Murray came in to compete for a starting position as the holding midfielder. Young strikers James Byrne and Danny Reynolds were bought as ones for the future, while the addition of Polish/Brazilian pacy clinical striker Cabelo was brought in to add some much needed quality up front.

Keeper Sam Johnstone improving and solid as ever. The back four of Scot Jablonski, youth product Forrester, intelligent young centre back Adam Webster, and stalwart Blakeman were brilliant. While Irish centre back McCullough did well when called upon. Captain Kudi continued to impress as inspirational leader, while Oggy improved on last season to be the creative force in midfield. Ryan McGorrigan's pace meant he was as effective as ever, while new signing young Scot Brian Duffy was absolutely brilliant. Then there's Ian Roberts whos development into the club's talisman was almost complete. Young youth product poacher Michael Mitchel was incredibly impressive and suprised alot of people and kept January signing Cabelo out of the side with his performances.

Transfers

Best Eleven

League Table

leaguetable1617.jpg

Started the season a tiny bit slowly just for something different and for the briefest moment I thought the bad form had continued. However, the mediocre start was a blip in what was an almost faultless season. We absolutely romped the league. Key players really stood up were counted and proved to everyone they could handle league football after last year's almost disaster.

JPT

Knocked out by Notts County away 2-0 in the North Quarter Final.

LEAGUE CUP

Knocked out at home 2-1 by Middlesborough in the First Round again.

FA CUP

Won 1-0 away against Premier League outfit Norwich in the Third Round before getting smacked 3-0 at home by Championship ever presents Huddersfield.

Other News of Note

Youth products

Graham Forrester and Michael Mitchel were brilliant. Special mention however must be reserved for Ian Roberts who won the nPower League Two Player of the Season and looked every bit the dominate player in the league. In other news I won League 2 Manager of the Year.

Also, two promising youth team members in the form of pacy Welsh left winger Steve James and left-footed cool-headed Welsh poacher Brett Hurdman would come into the youth system. They were not involved in first duties in 2016/17 but they would be in the future.

League One here we come.

The aim is to go as far as I can while playing as realistically as possible. That means the standard LLM rules will apply with regards to scouting, plus I will try to stay within the wage budget and not run the club into debt (this may mean making some tough decisions with regards to letting players leave when their wage demands become too much). Also, I will attempt to focus on local youth where possible and not sign players I don't deem likely to play in English Lower League football (ie. Foreign players will not be signed unless it is likely they would realistically consider Chester).

I like. :)

Making very good progress so far.

How did you lose to a Championship side in the Second Round of the FA Cup in 2015/6?

I like. :)

Making very good progress so far.

How did you lose to a Championship side in the Second Round of the FA Cup in 2015/6?

Thanks Nobby. I enjoy reading your stories. Are you still playing PCM these days?

Good point about the FA Cup. Gillingham are in the Championship now in 2021, my mistake. Oops. :)

CHESTER F.C.

190px-Chester-fc.svg.png

Season 2017/2018: League One

Young upstart striker Dean Duncun was sold begrudgingly to Ipswich where he would immediately be worth £900k to control the wage bill. Very dissappointing but mostly my fault for caving to his rediculous wage demands which the club couldn't manage realistically when he wasn't scoring or playing regularly. Lesson learnt. Young centre back Michael Byrne and striker Danny Reynolds were sold and loaned out respectively, they didn't look like developing like I'd hoped. And stalwart fullback Adam Blakeman was sold in January to control the wage budget. Plus a replacement with potential was lined up and brought in so the unfortunate Blakeman was surplus to requirements.

Young pacey Hong Kong international left winger Ip Kin Leung, who would later become captain of his national team, was an impressive signing to compete with Brian Duffy on the flank. Young Scottish killer ball merchant attacking midfielder Peter Yorke was brought in to compete with Ian Roberts and provide variety in the attacking midfielder position. Young solid defensive pacey Portoguese left back Paulo Gonçalves replaced Adam Blakeman in January as starting left back. Libyian Al Hark and Turk Balazic were brought in to bolster the midfield. The team was starting to include more foreign players as we rose up the leagues but they were all players who had previous experience in English football, mostly in the youth teams of sides in the upper echelons of the pyramid, and had failed to make the grade.

Superman goalie Sam Johnstone continued to impress between the sticks. The back four continued to perform well with intelligent Adam Webster becoming the centre piece of an impressive defense which included commanding Chester youth product Graham Forrester, solid Scottish fullback Jablonski and pacey new recruit Portogal's Gonçalves. In the midfield I changed things around a bit to accomodate our best players. Aaron, Captain, Kudi continued to impress as midfield enforcer while Ian Roberts joined alongside him as the advanced playmaker determined to dribble at anything that moved. Further forward Scot Brian Duffy continued to impress while new signing Peter Yorke and the ever reliable Ryan McGorrigan had stellar seasons. Ip Kin Leung and James Byrne were really not first choice although the latter did perform well while the young Hong King international was disappointing and away on international duty half the time, or at least it seemed that way. Polish/Brazlian Cabelo continued to impress while Michael Mitchel had a season to forget, a real shame after last year's breakout performances.

Transfers

Best Eleven

League Table

Our form was patchy throughout the season and although we put on a good run for a few months from the end of January we never really looked like threatening to gain a playoff birth. Thankfully though relegation was never a possibility and the season hummed along mundanely and as we spluttered to a stop come April I was already thinking of next season. A solid start in the division.

JPT

Lost on pens away to Crewe after it ended 2-2 at full time.

LEAGUE CUP

Lost at the first time of asking for third consecutuve year 2-0 away to Huddersfield.

FA CUP

After a relatively easy run to the Third Round we went out without much of a fight 3-1 away to Plymouth.

Other News of Note

The 2017/2018 season was a good one for Chester youth as young shot stopper Englishmen Alan Devaney, left fullback Adam Dixon and centre back Ian Maddox would all enter the youth setup. None saw any first team action but the future was looking bright for Chester youth.

Meanwhile, Welshmen left winger Steve James and poacher Brett Hurdman would make their senior debuts and do well for the most part.

Furthermore, Ian Roberts and Graham Forrester would continue to impress, especially Ian Roberts who was proving last season's Player of the Year award was no flash in the pan with another outstanding season.

Unfortunately, Michael Mitchel was unable to make an impression in League One football and was largely disappointing throughout the season.

League One here we come, encore.

CHESTER F.C

190px-Chester-fc.svg.png

Season 2018/2019: League One

Danny Reynolds was loaned out again with a view to moving him on, while Michael Mitchell was loaned out for the season after last year's struggles. Also a couple of disappointing midfielders were moved on as was Chester's 107 game 26 year old Ghanian/English centre back Daniel Boateng.

Coming in were prospects English poacher Matt Green and jack of all trades midfielder Michael King, as well as some experience in Irish centre back Sean O'Hanlon and right back Glody Tshibamba. Four more experienced players joined in January to add to the depth of our young squad while creative Polish midfield prospect Lukasz Brzyski would also join.

The settled back five of keeper Sam Johnstone, fullbacks Jablonski, Gonçalves and centre backs Adam Webster and Graham Forrester continued to impress while the experienced Sean O'Hanlon provided impressive support at centre back when called upon. Captain Aaron Kudi remained in midfield, while new partner Michael King impressed in his first season as Ian Roberts was pushed forward once again into his familiar attacking midfield role where he plundered an outstanding 19 goals in all competitions. Pacey attacking wingers Brian Duffy and Ryan McGorrigan continued to provide goals and assists in what turned out to be impressive seasons for both. Up front Polish/Brazlian Cabelo had a steller season with 33 goals in all competitions as Chester's attacking forces ran riot in League One. Hong Kong captain Ip Kin Lueng was impressive off the bench and special mention goes to young Chester youth product Welsh forward Brett Hurdman, who had a 1 in 2 goal ratio mostly coming off the bench.

Transfers

Best Eleven

League Table

Our form was patchy to begin with but once things clicked we settled into a rich vain of form that more or less lasted the season. If it weren't for the domination of Sheffield Wednesday, who we beat away and drew against at home, we probably would have won the league. Although, if it weren't for our rather poor start we would have almost certainly have won the league regardless of the performances of those around us.

JPT

Beat Wycombe on pens after it ended 0-0 at full time to lift the Johnstone's Paint Trophy. Our first cup title in an outstanding season for the club.

LEAGUE CUP

We improved on previous performances to once again lose 2-1 away in the First Round to Port Vale, in extra time though. :thup:

FA CUP

Had an easy run again to the Third Round where we were admirable in a 2-1 defeat away to Blackburn. The pay day from ticket revenues from our day out at Ewood Park eased the pain of defeat quite nicely.

Other News of Note

It was a barren year for new youth products with no one of note coming through.

Chester youth left fullback Adam Dixon made two substitute appearances in cup ties, Ian Maddox appeared for one start at centre back in cup competition, while keeper Alan Devaney made it to the bench for a few first team encounters but no further.

As mentioned above Welsh goal poacher Brett Hurdman had an impressive season with 7 goals in 15 appearances in all competitions. While left winger Steve James continued to impress when given the opportunity.

Ian Roberts had a commanding season and would be named nPower League One Player of the Season for his second individual award of note to go with his League Two Player of the Year award from two years previous. Graham Forrester continued to make the centre back position his own, while poacher MnM Michael Mitchell was loaned out to fellow League One side Stevenage, where he managed a respectable 6 goals in 22 appearances, to try and rediscover his form from a few seasons back.

Championship football; Wahgerty! ;)

Ok. I will be doing a few reports on the club's most important players over the course of our rise to the Championship.

All screen shots will be from the current season

IAN ROBERTS

190px-Chester-fc.svg.png

The first player inducted into the Chester F.C. Hall Of Fame is Ian Roberts. Born in Chester on 05/05/1997, Roberts debuted for the first team as a 15 year old and has gone on to make 295 league appearances for the club scoring 70 league goals along the way. He has been named nPower League Two Player of the Season in 2017 and nPower League One Player of the Season in 2019. It is due to these achievements that Ian Roberts is the only Chester F.C. to be well known to fans not only in the UK, but throughout the greater expanses of the European continent. Ian Roberts is most effective as an attacking midfielder and loves taking on opposition defenders with the ball at his feet. He has scored some magnificient goals for the club and he can also slip a pass when the time is right.

Welcome, Ian Roberts.

ianrobertsreport.jpg

ianrobertsreporttwo.jpg

ianrobertsreportthree.jpg

Hope these are interesting, more to come if that pleases.

CHESTER F.C.

190px-Chester-fc.svg.png

Season 2019/2020: nPower Championship

Twenty players left in the window including mostly youth that didn't make the grade and the experienced players that were signed on 6 month contracts last January during the promotion push. Long term servants Ryan McGorrigan, Luke McCullough, Oggy Özyakup and Samir Bihmoutine left the club due to any combination of reasons including, excessive wage demands, lack of form or being replaced by better quality new signings who took their spot. Also, Michael Mitchell left the club, after his loss of form he never really regained his spark and his potential had started to whittle away while not getting much time on the pitch. Unfortunate for MnM but it was time to move the lad on.

Four players joined before the season began in the form of quality prospects Irish keeper Andrew McKenna, English attacking left back Gary Beckwith and English centre back Mohamed Juma Mzee. Of the early season signings special mention goes to the first player I spent any meaningful transfer fee on in outstanding 16 year old French prospect João Barros. I spotted his name mentioned in a news item and his potential seemed mindblowingly good. I swooped in to sneak him away from other interested clubs with a generous contract offer which I was able to produce with my slashed wage budget from all the released players. To my surprise he signed on.

João Barros

barros2021.jpg

This is Barros in 2021 after a few years of development, he looks the goods.

There was one player of note to join in January in impressive prospect very quick Slovakian right fullback Marcel Sokol who could also develop into a brilliant player for the club.

Keeper Sam Johnstone, fullbacks Jablonski and Gonçalves and centre back Forrester all performed well, while but centre back partner Adam Webster began to struggle. Webster's lack of technical and physical ability was beginning to be found out at Championship level. Unfortunately for Webster he would need to be replaced at some point and with new signing Mzee performing poorly it would mean that would be the main focus in the transfer market for the following season. January signing also played played well at right back in the second half of the season despite not making the year's preferred squad. In the midfield Aaron Kudi and Michael King continued to perform brilliantly while ahead of them Ian Roberts continued to prove himself anew at every time of asking. I have my doubts as to whether he is cut out for the Premier League though if we get there while he is still at the club. Open to being proven wrong though. Wide man Peter Yorke had a solid season and João Barros had a brilliant first season as a 16 year old. He came off the bench a bit as I didn't want to expose him to too many minutes on the pitch too early. Up front Polish/Brazilian Cabelo had another great year but backup when he was out was very thin. Off the bench Brian Duffy had a solid year, while new signing left back Gary Beckwith made a solid start to life in the Championship.

We started rather poorly then had a purple patch for a few months around xmas before the rot set in and we really began to struggle. Thankfully enough points were picked during our good runs that relegation was never a real threat at the business end of the season.

LEAGUE CUP

Made it past the first round for the first time before immediately going out 1-0 away to Middlesbrough in the Second Round.

FA CUP

Had an unbelievable run of one goal wins to get to a Sixth Round home tie against Arsenal, we won that 1-0 for the club's most famous ever victory to that point. However, that was followed up by a 4-0 thumping of mid-table Premier League side Birmingham and we were somehow into the FA Cup Final. We were in dreamland and remarkably our opposition would be high flying Championship side Southampton. Update to follow.

Other News of Note

Another dissappointing youth intake where only one player of any note in pacey right winger Jay Edwards.

Other youth Ian Maddox, Adam Dixon and Adam Devaney would continue to develop without getting many games.

Brett Hurdman and Steve James would continue to be involved in the first team squad when possible.

While we all know about the contributions of Ian Roberts and Graham Forrester.

The last few seasons youth intake has been bad and the board don't seem to want to cooperate on that front. However, in other news we moved into a brand new 11,500 all-seater stadium at the start of the season and the full house sign went up many times. This obviously helped the finances and will hopefully help my struggles with the board for further youth development, if I don't blow all the cash in the transfer market first.

Here we go.

Thanks Nobby. I enjoy reading your stories. Are you still playing PCM these days?

Glad you enjoy it.

I'm dabbling in PCM2011, which has been a massive step forward for the game. I'm waiting for the 2012 Giant PPDB database to come out before starting a proper game, but having said that I don't have much time to play it these days.

F.A. CUP FINAL 2020

190px-Chester-fc.svg.pngv 200px-FC_Southampton.svg.png

The side were in dreamland with the trip to Wembley but things were going to be difficult with us missing a few key players for the clash. We were without a recognised centre back pairing, with Graham Forrester and his backups out injured. We were forced to throw pacey young fullback Marcel Sokol in at centre back alongside Adam Webster. We were also missing captain Aaron Kudi which meant Adam Webster would don the captain's armband for the day.

Unfortunately injuries to key players and poor performances from our other important players meant that Southampton would dominate. Southampton thoroughly deserved their win and I don't think we would have stood much chance even with Forrester and Kudi in the lineup. Disappointing that we saved our worst performance of the competition for the final but at least I can be greatful we made it as far as we did.

facupfinala.jpg

Overall a good effort but not good enough when it mattered most.

Thanks for the compliments. :)

Talking Tactics:

I don't play that formation all the time, its sometimes flipped and sometimes set to a stadardish 4-2-3-1 with one winger forward and one winger in the midfield.

Yes. Roberts is set AMC/Attack 90% of the time, sometimes he plays in AP/Attack but not often. I use different shouts to alter the sliders if needs must.

I use shouts because I don't manually adjust sliders (with the exception of Goal Keeper distribution, and set piece adjustment to avoid the corner bug, just a little rule I play by).

I'm going to change the update schedule now that the updates have almost caught upto where I am currently in the game.

CHESTER F.C.

190px-Chester-fc.svg.png

Season 2020/2021: nPower Championship

Pre-Season

Our phenomenal run to the F.A. Cup Final last season means that we are in a brilliant position financially and the board have responded with an increased wage budget and a warchest of £4 million for transfers.

The first area of the squad for improvement was the centre back position where last year it seemed that Adam Webster was finally found out for his lack of technical ability and pace.

In came outstanding prospect Frenchman Abdoulaye Lamine on a free from RC Lens and solid young defender Spaniard Ander Tamayo from Zaragoza for £350k.

In the other direction the disappointing young centre back Mohamed Mzee left on a free for Peterborough and youth product centre back Ian Maddox was loaned out short-term to Bury.

The second area of the squad to be improved was the centre midfield position as I had decided that sadly Aaron Kudi was not upto to Championship standard.

In came young Italian-American midfield enforcer Pasquale Passiatore for £450k from Fulham and loan-to-buy signing young midfielder Paul Dickson for 200k up-front, £2 million later, from Norwich.

Later in the window we picked up outstanding left wing prospect Belgian flyer Ronald Tomsin from STVV for £800k.

Going in the other way was long time servant and disappointment New Zealander International Chris Batty while Dennis Bruce was loaned with a view to sell or release.

Finally, the most important piece of business during the window was a striker to press Cabelo for his position in the starting squad. That striker came in the impressive form of the pacey Spaniard José Luis Piñas for £300k from Rayo. Excited about this guy. Looks class. But the contract we had to give him was ladened with bonuses and clauses in order to convince him to put pen to paper for the club. He must perform, and so must the rest of the squad, or we may be forced to sell him on rather quickly.

In staff trasnfers, Steve Clarke was brought in as assistant manager after a string of failures as manager he was obviously looking to be out of the firing line somewhat.

Coming Up Next: August/September Results

CHESTER F.C.

190px-Chester-fc.svg.png

Season 2020/2021 Results: August

8th August

League Game 1: Sunderland 3 v 3 Chester F.C. AWAY DRAW

Debutant Jóse Piñas put us into a two goal lead before three goals from Sunderland turned the game on its head. In the 90th minute Ian Roberts would get his second assist for the game with a nice through ball into the right hand channel for Peter Yorke to slot the equaliser.

Chester F.C. MoM: Striker Jóse Piñas

11th August

League Cup Round 1: Chester F.C 3 v 1 Ebbsfleet

Raced to a 3 goal lead thanks to a well taken brace from Cabelo and a goal from Polish midfielder playmaker Lukasz Brzyski. Ebbsfleet would pull one back late on but it was only a consolation.

Chester F.C. MoM: Striker Cabelo

15th August

League Game 2: Chester F.C. 3 v 1 Coventry HOME WIN

Once again we would go out to a three goal lead and once again we would concede a goal late on. Midfield passer Michael King would be sent off in first half injury time but a Jóse Piñas brace and an own goal would nonetheless provide a well deserved victory in a game we dominated.

Chester F.C. MoM: Striker Jóse Piñas

18th August

League Game 3: Gillingham 1 v 0 Chester F.C. AWAY LOSS

We conceded early in a game where we dominated possession but only had one shot on target. Dissappointing performance against the side that were promoted with us two seasons ago.

Chester F.C. MoM: Goalkeeper Sam Johnstone

22nd August

League Game 4: Chester F.C. 1 v 2 Blackpool HOME LOSS

Once again we had the better of possession but our strikers were wayward and an own goal failed to bring the team to life for a final push for a draw. Poor performance all round.

Chester F.C. MoM: Attacking Midfielder Ian Roberts

25th August

League Cup Round 2: Chester F.C. 3 v 1 Portsmouth

Dominated despite conceding after only 4 minutes. A brace from Lukasz Brzyski, was is impressive form and pushing for a position in the first choice XI, and a goal for young striker Matt Green meant we won comfortably in a game we dominated.

Chester F.C. MoM: Midfielder Lukasz Brzyski

29th August

Leage Game 5: Hull City 2 v 0 Chester F.C. AWAY LOSS

In a very dull even match Hull managed to grab two late goals to give us our third league defeat on the bounce. Another poor performance, this is becoming a worry.

Chester F.C. MoM: Wing/Attacking Mid Brian Duffy

Summary: August:

We ended the month on 4 points in 19th position in the league. I was confident we could turn things around, although I was a little worried. Being into the 3rd Round of the League Cup, the furtherest we'd been in the competition, was some consolation in what was otherwise a poor month.

CHESTER F.C.

190px-Chester-fc.svg.png

Season 2020/2021 Results: September

12th September

League Game 6: Chester F.C. 0 v 2 Stoke HOME LOSS

We start September how we finished August, with a loss comprehensive loss. Little meaningful possession and no goal threat. Piñas' lack of impact after his fine start is beginning to be a worry. Right fullback Marcel Sokol played well had no support though unfortunately.

Chester F.C. MoM: Fullback Marcel Sokol

19th September

League Game 7: Leeds 2 v 2 Chester F.C. AWAY DRAW

We were mugged despite two superb goals from Joäo Barros, the first a header from a low hard cross from young leftback Gary Beckwith, the second a long range free kick up and over the wall. Leeds had two shots on target for the match and their second goal resulted from a clear foul on midfielder Passiatore on the goal line. Positive performance but "we was robbed".

Chester F.C. MoM: Joäo Barros

22nd September

League Cup Round 3: Chester F.C. 4 v 3 Huddersfield

A thriller. We trailed 2-0 and 3-1 and ended up winning 4-3. Piñas opened our account before two long range efforts from Polish midfielder Lukasz Brzyski pulled us level. Youngster Matt Green was on hand to seal the win in the 76th minute. Brzyski would deserve some starts in the league after his recent cup form with 5 goals in 3 games from midfield in the League Cup.

Chester F.C. MoM: Lukasz Brzyski

26th September

League Game 8: Chester F.C. 0 v 1 Sheffield Wednesday HOME LOSS

After a good win in the League Cup we came back to league fixtures with a thud. Brzyski started and was average. But so was everyone else with the exception once again of Marcel Sokol. The young Slovakian is developing into a key player for us but he can't do much to solve our goal scoring problems from fullback.

Chester F.C. MoM: Marcel Sokol

29th September

League Game 9: Wigan 0 v 0 Chester F.C. AWAY DRAW

We dominated this game possession wise but in every other aspect we were outplayed. Piñas was once again ineffective with no shot attempts for the match. Terrible. Starting to wonder if this guy was worth the money. Not much else to say, keeper Sam Johnstone played well with some key saves.

Chester F.C. MoM: Sam Johnstone

Summary: September

We collected 2 points for the month and found ourselves in 21st place in the league. This is getting serious. If things don't change in the next month or so we are in trouble. Piñas can't score after a promising start and the midfield seems incapable of fashioning chances. Into the Fourth Round of the League Cup, I'd trade that for 3 points from our next fixture at this stage.

CHESTER F.C.

190px-Chester-fc.svg.png

Season 2020/2021 Results: October

3rd October League Game 10: Chester F.C. 3 v 2 Everton HOME WIN

Finally a performance from the side. Two goals for José Piñas and one for Hong Kong captain winger Ip Kin Leung against a quality Everton side provided the win.

Chester F.C. MoM: José Piñas

17th October League Game 11: Brighton 4 v 3 Chester F.C. AWAY LOSS

We trailed 2-0 before goals from João Barros, Ip Kin Leung and Michael King put us into an unlikely lead. I thought we had turned a corner until two late goals condemned us to another disappointing defeat.

Chester F.C. MoM: João Barros

20th October League Game 12: Chester F.C. 0 v 1 Charlton HOME LOSS

A dull game against playoff contenders Charlton was heading for a bore draw until Charlton got the winner right at the death.

Chester F.C. MoM: Holding Midfielder American Pasquale Passiatore

24th October League Game 13: Middlesbrough 0 v 2 Chester F.C. AWAY WIN

After having Ian Robert sent off on the hour mark at 0-0, Spanish centre back Tamayo and Piñas would get a goal each from set pieces to clinch a valuable 2-0 away win.

Chester F.C MoM: Ander Tamayo

27th October League Cup Round 4: Wigan 1 v 0 Chester F.C.

We only managed to create one chance in a dull match where a first half goal would put us out of the Carling Cup.

Chester F.C. MoM: Ip Kin Leung

31st October League Game 14: Chester F.C. 0 v 1 Swindon HOME LOSS

We dominated the game in terms of chances against 22nd placed Swindon before slumping to another defeat late on. Could have proved a key result in the context of the season.

Chester F.C. MoM: Backup right back Ian Jablonski

Summary: October

Another disappointing month despite the positive start against high-flying Everton would see us pick up 6 point from 5 games to remain mired in 22
nd
position. Being out of the League Cup was probably a good thing seeing as we were now firmly into a relegation battle.

A bit of a rough start -the Championship is never an easy league, but the good thing about being in a relegation battle is that you just need to get yourself a quick 2 or 3 wins and you'll find yourself safe :)

Yeh definitely. Very frustrating at times. But its one of the parts of the game that I enjoy most. Nothing like a good honest struggle. :)

CHESTER F.C.

190px-Chester-fc.svg.png

Season 2020/2021: November

3rd November

League Game 15: Chester F.C. 1 v 0 Huddersfield HOME WIN

A decent performance from the lads before some head tennis in Huddersfield's box resulted in us getting a questionable (at best) injury time penalty decision which the dependable midfielder Michael King duly converted.

Chester F.C. MoM: Ian Jablonski

7th Novemeber

League Game 16: Chester F.C. 0 v 1 Cardiff HOME LOSS

A solid performance in which we dominated the chances on goal but were unable to convert. We were punished when we came out asleep after half time.

Chester F.C. MoM: American midfielder Pasquale Passiatore

21st November

League Game 17: Barnsley 2 v 1 Chester F.C. AWAY LOSS

Terrible performance in a game where we defended poorly down the flanks, struggled to control possession and created few chances. Piñas injury time strike was too late to make a different after two goals from Barnsley early in the second half effectively killed the match for us. Midfielder Peter Yorke played well.

25th November

League Game 18: Chester F.C. 1 v 1 Sheffield United HOME DRAW

Absolutely battered them from start to finish but all we could manage was one goal from a corner, for José Piñas, to pull level after an Sheffield United strike. Our lack of potentcy in front of goal was becoming a concern. Michael King had a good game in midfield linking well between defence and attack.

28th November

League Game 19: Watford 3 v 2 Chester F.C AWAY LOSS

It was an open game and after trailing 2-0 we managed to setup a tense finish for the home support with a goal on 79 minutes from substitute Passiatore. Watford reestablished their two goal lead 10 minutes later which meant Passiatore getting his brace late on was once again too little too late for our side. Brilliant passer Peter Yorke once again had a good game.

Chester F.C MoM: Passiatore

Summary: November

Another rather disappointing month saw us collect 4 points from 5 games to remain near the foot of the table in 20
th
position. So frustrating that good performances were not being rewarded and then being compounded by poor performances. Inconsistantcy and bad luck are not a good mix.

CHESTER F.C.

190px-Chester-fc.svg.png

Season 2020/2021: December

5th December

League Game 20: Bolton 0 v 7 Chester F.C. AWAY WIN

No, that is not a misprint. Just a good old fashion thumping. The brilliant José Piñas got 4 goals, with recalled club captain Aaron Kudi and Polish/Brazilian striker turned left winger Cabelo also on the score sheet with a goal each, in a game in which we changed the formation back to something similar to that which had proven to be a successful setup for us in the past. It must be said that Bolton were bottom, but despite that, it was a very impressive result and I was hopeful it would prove something of a turning point for us.

Chester F.C. MoM: Everyone played well but José Piñas' 4 goals meant there was no argument.

12th December

League Game 21: Chester F.C. 3 v 4 West Ham HOME LOSS

Unlucky in a game where we lead 1-0 and 2-1. The game got away from us in the last quarter of an hour where we conceded three goals. Despite Piñas converting late on to get his brace to go with French prodigy João Barros' earlier wonder goal, we were let down by a disappointing performance by our defenders. Peter Yorke had another good showing laying on two goals.

Chester F.C. MoM: Piñas, he was starting to fire them now and looking every bit like the player I saw early in the season.

19th December

League Game 22: Scunthorpe 1 v 1 Chester F.C. AWAY DRAW

An even contest with Aaron Kudi giving us the lead only for the aggressive Scunthorpe to respond almost immediately. Scunny had a man sent off on the hour but disappointingly we failed to capitalise on the man advantage. We could have actually lost the game late on if not for a super save from keeper Sam Johnstone.

Chester F.C. MoM: Spanish centre back Ander Tamayo

26th December (Boxing Day)

League Game 23: Chester F.C. 2 v 1 Ipswich HOME WIN

Despite going behind early at the hands of some brilliant play from Ipswich we managed to fight back and win thanks to two lucky goals. The first was a deflected cross from Piñas that deflected in for an own goal and the second was thanks to a very questionable decision by the referee to award Piñas a penalty which Ian Roberts calmly converted. Although the two goals were lucky, on the whole we deserved our win and if it weren't for the heroics of Ipswich keeper Fraser Forster it could have been more.

Chester F.C. MoM: Ian Roberts, his ability to take players on provided a constant threat.

28th December

League Game 24: Chester F.C. 3 v 1 Sunderland HOME WIN

A good win in what was a pretty even encounter. Joáo Barros continued to impress in his new role behind the striker in a game in which he laid on the first goal for Piñas, before benefitting from the worst goalkeeper error I've even seen in FM to get a goal of his own. A Scumberland goal just after half time made things tight until Aaron Kudi popped up to get a goal from a corner late on to seal the win. Michael King also played well in midfield.

Chester F.C. MoM: Joáo Barros, pulling the strings.

30th December

League Game 25: Coventry 1 v 3 Chester F.C. AWAY WIN

Another dominate performance with Ian Roberts getting a goal either side of a Piñas brace, the first of which was setup by an impressive long through ball by left back Gonçalves. Never looked like losing despite Coventry halving the deficit on the hour mark. With young Barros having a rest, Hong Kong captain left wing Ip Kin Leung played well in a reshuffled midfield setup.

Chester F.C. MoM: Piñas, again. Just keeps on scoring.

Summary: December

An unspeakably great month in the context of our season to date saw us pick up 13 points from 5 games and move up the table into 16th spot. A run for the playoffs was off at this point but at least we had moved away from the relegation battle and could reasonably look towards at least equaling last year's final position of 13th.

The club's big players were really starting to perform and we didn't look to be relegation candidates like we had done only a month earlier. But a week is a long time in football (cliche attack
;)
), so who knew what January held in store for Chester F.C. Time will tell.

With 9 goals in his last 6 games José Piñas claimed the nPower Championship Player of the Month award.

CHESTER F.C.

190px-Chester-fc.svg.png

Season 2020/2021 Results: January

2nd January

F.A. Cup Round 3: Chester F.C. 3 v 0 Burnley

League One Playoff contenders Burnley were no match for us in a match we controlled from start to finish. First half goals to Piñas and centre back Tamayo were topped off with substitute Brett Hurdman's injury time strike. Backup leftback Gary Beckwith played well getting an assist along the way.

Chester F.C. MoM: Ander Tamayo

9th January

League Game 26: Chester F.C. 4 v 0 Gillingham HOME WIN

Another league game and another good win thanks to a brace from José Piñas and a goal each to Peter Yorke and Joáo Barros. Michael King and Barros were particularly impressive.

Chester F.C. MoM: Piñas

16th January

League Game 27: Blackpool 0 v 2 Chester F.C. AWAY WIN

A close game against 17th placed Blackpool in which our defence performed superbly, especially keeper Sam Johnstone who made some key saves. A goal just before half time and a penalty on 66 minutes to Ian Roberts would seal the result and reward our defence for their quality performance with 3 valuable points.

Chester F.C. MoM: Ian Roberts

23rd January

League Game 28: Chester F.C. 1 v 0 Hull HOME WIN

A fouled tempered game against a very aggressive Hull side which saw five of their players booked. An early goal to Ian Roberts laid on by a neat through ball from Joáo Barros provided the points. Michael King also played well.

Chester F.C. MoM: Ian Roberts

30th January

F.A. Cup Round 4: Chester F.C. 1 v 0 West Brom

Suprisingly we dominated possession and chances against mid-table Premier League side West Bromwich Albion which contained veteran Irish striker Shane Long. However, we didn't manage to break the deadlock until José Piñas slotted home a Michael King on 88 minutes to send us into the 5th round. Centreback Ander Tamayo played well in an allround solid defensive outing.

Chester F.C. MoM: Michael King

Summary: January

Two outstanding months back to back taking 9 points from 3 league games which saw us rise to last year's final position of 13
th
on the table. This was topped off by our progression through two rounds of the F.A. Cup to setup a 5
th
Round home clash against Premier League high-flyers Derby County. This could yet turn into a very good season. We remained a long long way off the playoff positions but it was no longer an absolute impossibility if we maintained table topping form for the rest of the season. Big if, we'll see.

There was no movement in the January transfer window. Despite having £2 million of transfer funds to play with to adjust the wage budget I was not prepared to enter the market. We are hemorrhaging money at around £500k per month and although the budget would allow further investment in the squad I feel it wouldn't be wise. Especially with Piñas' contract having crazy yearly increases and Roberts' contract having a 'match highest earner' clause. So we press on with what we have and to be fair, at the moment, with performances the as good as they are, what we have is enough.

CHESTER F.C.

190px-Chester-fc.svg.png

Season 2020/2021: February-April

Time to bring this thread up to date with where I am in the save.

February Overview

The month started with league wins against Stoke (2-1 Barros, Passiatore), Leeds (3-0 Piñas 3) and Sheffield Wednesday (2-0 Barros, Roberts). Derby County in the 5th Round of the F.A. Cup were next and we were unable to get a result at home (0-0). Following on from Derby we lost to table topping Everton (0-1) and drew with the other side occupying the automatic promotion spot Brighton (1-1 Passiatore).

fixturesfebruary.jpg

Summary: February

With 10 points from 5 league games we continued to rise up the table. Plus we earnt a replay with the impressive Premier League outfit Derby County. Another good month.

March Overview

A busy month started with the F.A. Cup Round 5 replay against Derby County, which we won on penalties (1-1p Roberts). This was followed by Championship encouters against playoff contenders Charlton (0-3) and Middlesbrough (1-0 Piñas). Next up was the F.A. Cup Round 6 tie with Huddersfield (1-1 Yorke), another replay which we would win (5-1 Piñas 2, King, Ip Kin Leung, Roberts). Before that though more league matches at home against Wigan (2-0 Piñas 2) and away in the league to F.A. Cup opponents Huddersfield (1-0 Ip Kin Leung). We rounded out the month with a home win against Barsnley (2-0 Piñas, Kudi) and a draw against Swindon (1-1 Roberts).

fixturesmarch.jpg

Summary: March

With 4 win, a draw and a loss to collect 13 points from 6 league games a playoff push was on. We were only now 6 points away from the final playoff spot. If we could maintain form and hope those above us stumbled we had a chance. Progression through two more rounds of the F.A. to setup a semi-final birth against Manchester United was also a boon for the club.

April Overview

Another busy month with five league matches to push for a playoff spot and an F.A. Cup Semi-Final against ManUnited. We started the month well with an away win against Cardiff (1-0 Barros) followed by a disappointing away draw with Sheffield United (2-2 Kudi 2). An important win against fellow playoff contenders Watford (2-0 Cabelo, Kudi) would follow before the trip to Wembley. The F.A. Cup semi-final was a thriller and ended 5-2 (Piñas 2, Kudi 2, Roberts) to us. We had knocked a Premier League giant at the semi-final stage two years running. Off to the final then. We rounded out the month with another thumping of Bolton (5-0 King 2, Barros, Cabelo, Green) and a win away to West Ham (2-0 Barros 2).

fixturesapril.jpg

Summary: April

Another brilliant month of performances, our dire start to the season had been almost forgotten by this stage, with another 13 points (4 wins and a draw) from 5 league games and we were back into the F.A. Cup Final for the second year running to face 4
th
placed Premier League giants Arsenal.

League table as of the end of April to follow.

CHESTER F.C.

190px-Chester-fc.svg.png

League Table with two games remaining:

leaguetablegame44.jpg

We host relegation candidates Scunthorpe knowing that we had to win to have any chance of overhauling a labouring Stoke side who were clinging onto the final playoff position.

game45scunthorpe.jpg

The game was never in doubt as we dominated from start to finish. A comprehensive victory but how did Stoke do?

stokegame45.jpg

They got belted that's how they did.

CHESTER F.C.

190px-Chester-fc.svg.png

League Table with one game remaining:

leaguetablegame45.jpg

We travelled away to relegation threatened Ipswich and with the F.A. Cup only 4 days later I decided to rest some key players. I was regretting my decision when the score remained nil-nil at the break, especially with Stoke and Watford both winnings their games. However, a few tweaks and bringing on Cabelo turned out the lights on Ipswich's struggle and we were into the playoffs. The season had gone from terrible to brilliant in three months and it could have been set to get even better in the following weeks.

game46ipswich.jpg

Final League Table:

leaguetablegame46.jpg

Up Next: F.A. Cup Final

CHESTER F.C.

190px-Chester-fc.svg.png

Season 2020/2021: F.A. Cup Final

Thefacup-logo.png

At Wembley for the F.A. Cup Final for the second year running against the might of 4th placed Premier League side Arsenal. The started well for us and things were actually quite even for the first half hour and then the unthinkable happened. We took the lead on 37 minutes through a João Barros screamer from outside the area. We finished the first half with a 1-0 lead and nobody could argue we didn't deserve it in what was an even encounter.

Second half Arsenal came out all guns blazing and we were hard up against our six yard box for most of the half. But we held on and going into stoppage time we were still ahead. Could we lift the cup?

Result

Chester Player Ratings

MoM: João Barros

Up Next: Championship Playoff Semi-Final against Charlton Athletic

CHESTER F.C.

Season 2020/2021: nPower Championship Playoffs Leg 1 & 2

200px-Football_League_Championship.png

190px-Chester-fc.svg.png versus 175px-Charlton_Athletic.svg.png

16th May Championship Playoff Semi-Final Leg 1: Chester F.C. 1 v 1 Charlton Athletic HOME DRAW

A game we dominated and looked like we would win courtesy of a first half goal to nPower Championship Youth Player of the Season João Barros. But alas an injury time equaliser for Charlton meant that we would travel to their patch all square after 90 minutes. I was disappointed but confident we could win considering how much we dominated them for most of the match.

19th May Championship

Playoff Semi-Final Leg 2: Charlton Athletic 1 v 0 Chester F.C. AWAY LOSS

Once again we had the better of the encouter and late on in the second half I thought we would come home over the top of them but it wasn't to be. Perhaps the disappointment of the F.A. Cup Final had an effect, perhaps the season was a few games to long for our young squad. Whatever the reasons we would be spending another season in the Championship.

End of Season Summary:

All in all a great season. A return to the F.A. Cup Final which ended in disappointment but at least we had European football next season thanks to Arsenal's final league position to soften the blow. Meanwhile, the form in the league in the second half of the season shows the squad is capable of gaining promotion sooner rather than later. I would go into the 2021/2022 preseason with high hopes.

Archived