Tactics

Do they differ for home and away games ? Must admit I liked to keep one tactic for both but that doesn't seem possible anymore as my away record is shocking compared to my home games

4-4-1-1 at home wins me games, away it doesn't for some reason

might try a 4-3-2-1 with two IF's-S and a flat 3 cm's

Don't know why the gulf is so huge between home games and away games mind

There is a whole forum for discussing tactics. I go by match odds rather than home/away but there is a difference in that the opposition are likely to play more offensively on their pitch and defensively on yours - or to be more accurate, more offensively when the odds are in their favour, and defensively when the odds are in your favour.

At the beginning of my current season I was predicted to be relegated; teams played very openly against me and I hammered them 4-0, 5-0. Now in the second half of the season and I'm sitting top of the table, those same teams are playing very defensively and I'm struggling to grind them down. I have to tweak my tactics. It's all quite realistic.

There is some recent academic research into home advantage -- IRL, not FM -- that finds home advanatge stems almost entirely from referee bias, but that it is a major factor in all sports -- especially those where referee decisions can make a huge difference, such as football (soccer) and basketball. I forget the exact stats, but it was in the range of a 20% benefit to playing at home.

In game, I do what phnompenhandy does, which is to say 3 tactics: one counter attacking for when I play a better team or an evenly-matched team on their turf; a standard tactic for evenly-matched games; and an attacking tactic for when I play a team I should beat on their turf, or an evenly-matched team at home. But I also switch during the game, so if I go 1 up against an evenly-matched team, I switch to the counter-attacking style.

You can't play Man United at Old Trafford the same way you'd play Blackburn at home (ok, bad example after yesterday) -- unless you're Barcelona.

Archived