FM12 Overall Experience Of This Years Game

Morning all,

Just wanted a place to constructively vent my anger towards the consistent technical problems/issues with Football Manager 2012. Its easy for a selected group to come on here and state they have never had a single technical problem with FM12 or Steam, but I would suggest that there are a large group of customers that will have had some problems (or still having problems...) along the way.

Basically, I bought FM12 for myself, for my apple mac. I also installed the game on my younger brothers iMac (he’s not entirely computer literate yet, but loves the game) and also on my friends PC laptop (who also isn’t very computer literate), so I’ve had experience of installing this game on both PC and apple mac. I also work with computers with my job (both PC and apple mac) on a daily basis, so I’m au fait with how a PC and apple mac work.

FM12 must be the more frustrating game to date, just to install and actually load the game. And once you eventually get though that pain, you have to deal with the crash dumps within the game. I took me a almost a day to install FM12 to my MacBook from the disc, on release, having encountered numerous problems with Steam initially not downloading all the relevant files it needed to run on my system (I had to manually search via Console, and download individual links until the application was able to run itself – something your average customer cannot be expected to know), then it couldn’t handle Steam updates. Once overcoming these hurdles, its time to actually boot up the game via Steam (which automatically tries to download the game online, not via the disc). However, for some reason, on the apple mac, you get to enjoy the game for a whole ‘one play’, because once you quit the game for the first, Steam won’t let you back into the game (just says ‘Preparing to launch FM12’ - then nothing happens).

So what next? Lets verify the game. Nope, nothing. Defragment? Nope, nothing. Clear preferenecs, job logs and caches? Nope, nothing.

‘Try completely uninstalling Steam and FM12, and reinstalling’ a member of the forum says, that will work. So I go through the whole process of hour(s) of reinstalling, and guess what? You get one chance to play the game, then it won’t let you back in again (from what I can tell this is a common problem).

These exact same issues appeared on my brothers Apple Mac when trying to install the game for him too (must be common to mac).

Luckily, I managed to find some sort of work around for the Apple Mac. Which I hope will help many others with the same problem. If you install Steam, then FM12 as normal, then once stalled, go to the preference and untick the option about talking to Steam communities (I can’t fully remember as I’ve not got access to Steam right now). Then turn Steam into ‘Offline Mode’ and quit (without playing FM12 for the first time). Restart your Apple Mac, then double click on your FM12 application in your finder, click play in ‘offline mode’ and all should work fine, at least this is the case on my macbook and my brothers iMac. I found that as soon as Steam or FM12 automatically updates (like updating the editor, or a new patch release), it won’t launch the game afterwards.

But, once the next update comes along, I will probably have to go through all of that again.

Fortunately, installing FM12 on my friends PC laptop seems like a breeze in comparison, except now the game is installed (been installed for about 6 weeks now), he has been round to my house 4-5 times in those 6 weeks with multiple crash dumps and .XML errors which I’ve spent hours trying to fix for him.

Just a very poor customer experience all in all, I would say. I’d like to think I’m not alone on this matter.

But, for example, when I bought my new television for my house, there was a technical problem, so I took it back and received a full refund, however, when trying to return this game (which has many more technical faults than the television) to the shop, your refused.

But, what about customers who have a usage cap on their home internet? Who can’t download all these assets (the game, editor, constant updates etc) under their allowance. What about customers who are not so technically minded, are they going to be put off playing this game, because they simply cannot understand how to install this game?

The game should be simple to install, so long as customers buy the game and their computer fits within the technical specifications suggested on the box, this game should install and run without any major hitches (crashes here and there I can forgive, but having the rigmarole of that installation is not good for a customer).

Its easy for you to say ‘Well don’t buy the game then if it bothers you that much’, but I didn’t know I was letting myself in for this crazy journey when I bought the game. And once you have opened the box, its too late to take it back.

Anyway, I just thought I’d provide some feedback, as constructive as I could, although, I could have filled this post with countless expletives.

I love the series, but I think this game must be tested much harder prior to release, especially regarding apple macs.

Thanks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Off the back of that experience, I have since found that the 12.1 update has made the game far less enjoyable (from what I can gather, many people on this forum have similar gripes).

I made a tactic that worked well (not reliant on a corner bug either). But since 12.1, whatever I try, it just fails. But as I watch the game, my strikers have suddenly lost all finishing ability (missing way too many chances hitting the woodwork), I've noticed that most one on one situations end up being wide (not even testing the keeper). Also, now conceding many last minute equalisers and goals from set plays (despite me tweaking my tactics looking for the answer). Also my right winger has 25 goals in 30 games, yet the strikers cannot hit a barn door!

I've posted in some other threads with these problems, and people always have an excuse (its your tactic, its your morale etc). Funny how its suddenly failed upon the 12.1 update.

Anyway, I don't have 24 hours a day to sit and come up with new tactics every time an update appears, so now the game isn't very enjoyable at present (FM12 might have been to easy, but 12.1 is too far the opposite way, in my opinion).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone else is having, or had, similar frustrations?

:(

Very refreshing and constructive criticism mate! I love this series but for me the constant Random Crash Dumps, XML Errors and Microsoft C++ errors are ruining the enjoyment of the game, making it unplayable! Im by no means stupid when it comes to computers but there is a limit to my knowledge and although im usually able to fix things by myself or by searching online there are somethings which i have no idea about.

You should be able to play this game with no problems or hiccups, irregardless of what add on's have been added on i.e. graphics. I had previously said that if i didnt get into this FM for whatever reason then it would probably be my last time of buying it after 12 years, the game has come on leaps and bounds but still little things that ive wished to be added or tweaked have been ignored over the years!

Anyway, brilliant series which has given me much joy over the years and very thankful and grateful to Miles and his team for bringing us these games, family life dictates i dont get as much time on the game these days so when i get a crash dump after a precious hours play it makes it very hard to get another hour in let alone the will to do so.

Bit of a ramble but i understand what Stevmc is saying!

Not even one. The only thing that bothered me is that at some point I had the game being unavailable around the patch release but I got an answer in 2 mins in the forum on how to fix the issue... 12.1 is great, too. No problems for me.

Well it is the 31st December, people might be busy preparing for tonight, working and so on. Also it was only 1008 when you posted! That aside having read through the forums and looked at all the issues raised and the amount of technical support that has been offered it would appear that all is not well in the FM/Steam camp.

Luckily for me I fall into, "the not had a problem camp (so far very good)". That said, many have and whilst the SI support, advice and help has been excellent on all the various issues of operating systems, Steam and so on there does appear to be a larger than normal amount of issue with this year's FM/Steam collaboration. Previous to this when I downloaded FM via steam before there partnership (FM11), I had an issue free experience.

The latest patch was demanded by the community re the perception that the "game was too easy". This tweaked the moral/talks etc and made the game harder and that has set off another series of complaints and observations and some solutions.

Hopefully the experience with Steam this year will make it easier for the future iterations of the game when they release through Steam. There will be a number of lessons learnt. However, it must be said that a lot of the issues are also created by users that do not understand the new requirements or how to operate a PC system (no offence meant here -just an observation). Things have moved on swiftly in the technical arena, as you the OP will be more than aware and not everyone has moved at the same pace. Many PC's do not meet the spec that is required. Many PC's have all sorts of stuff on them that conflict and MAC's seem to be a genuine issue re their interaction with Steam.

All in all the game is more good than bad but I do see that this year has been a testing one for many in the FM community.

On that note I wish you all a happier experience re FM in 2012 and a generally good 2012 all round.

:) K

I have to say, I am not experiencing any of the difficulties you detail in your post (except for one or two Steam problems; I will concede that the Steam requirement was a pain in the butt, especially since I play a lot during long flights and to get a game unavailable message when you're 30000 feet in the air with no internet access is a real bummer).

I would make two points, and I hope you will take them in a constructive spirit:

1. I have been using the same tactic set (ie 3 tactics, one for games I expect to win, one for those I expect to lose, and one for games that look more or less even) forever, with only very minor tweaks. I have had 6 or 7 game win streaks and 4 or 5 game lose streaks. If you get one of these streaks when you start a season, it can look very much like something has changed in the game, when in fact it is just coincidence/luck. I suspect that is the case in some (but probably not all) of the cases in which people are complaining that "the patch ruined my tactic." I suspect that because...

2. If a problem -- strikers not finishing competently, too many injuries in games where you have used all 3 substitutes, or whatever -- affects some players but not others, it is almost certainly not a bug, or a flaw in the game, or a problem caused by the patch. It almost certainly is either (a) your tactics or (b) coincidence/bad luck. Because if it was a bug, it would be impacting everyone. My strikers are finishing well... Sturridge has 15 goals for me with about 2/3 of the season gone, playing as a lone striker most of the time.

I hope people don't think I'm campaigning against the game, because I'm not.

I've been playing since CM97/98, and love the series.

PAULHOLMES - just one point, I'm watching the game in 3D, so I can physically see Wayne Rooney hitting the post (or putting it wide in one on one situations), and he has perfectly good finishing stats - how can that be my tactic, since that very same tactic worked for the strikers before 12.1?

i've basically given up on on this version of FM, cannot get it working on my imac at all, i've went through all the faq's even wiped my mac and a clean install of the OS nothing works, and as i've done with previous versions of FM i've installed it on my work pc, now i can't even do that as the company blocks access to steam, i'm back playing FM11 - feel robbed :(

I can think of no reason why you should need to redownload steam or the game unless you have problems elsewhere outside steam. The verify game cache negates that.

I actually think there are more people who are not having a problem than those who are, just because we hear about something in the news doesnt mean its happening to everyone, sadly IRL this has lead to things like children not playing outside in parks as much as they used to etc...

The media, and this includes websites and forums magnify problems as people are more naturally going to complain more than tbhey praise, hence the opinion that the majority have the problem when infact it is the minority.

Also people sometimes just JOIN the forum to complain, the ratio of those to those who join to praise is very one sided yet I am confident there are more enjoying it and not having issues, they are just not commenting on it.

Steam is used by millions world wide, it was not originally meant for games like FM and is mainly a distribution platform for games and a server platform for linking users to servers ie with counterstirke.

It is now a massive distribution platform with file management and some anti piracy added in too but those are more recent additions for most games.

The game is ok but it feels very old and although there's always some improvements, it's basically the same every year.

Personally, I think the entire game needs to be completely re-vamped and changed.

Tactics, transfers, interactions, finances....the list goes on, all need to be completely re-written imo.

EG, Tactics - sick to death of the rigid system. Tactics should be extremely personal and you should be able to 'create' any shape you want. Maybe I want my 2 CD's to play very close together, or actually really have a true 'false #9' playing.

At the minute, the tactics set up doesn't allow anything like this...

And lastly, the ME is very, very tired.

I can't be bothered with FM anymore, for me, it now has a shelf life at home of about a month before I've sussed it all out and realised that it's just last years game with a couple of tweaks.

I want something COMPLETELY new from SI.

Back to Skyrim then....

The game is ok but it feels very old and although there's always some improvements, it's basically the same every year.

Personally, I think the entire game needs to be completely re-vamped and changed.

Tactics, transfers, interactions, finances....the list goes on, all need to be completely re-written imo.

EG, Tactics - sick to death of the rigid system. Tactics should be extremely personal and you should be able to 'create' any shape you want. Maybe I want my 2 CD's to play very close together, or actually really have a true 'false #9' playing.

At the minute, the tactics set up doesn't allow anything like this...

And lastly, the ME is very, very tired.

I can't be bothered with FM anymore, for me, it now has a shelf life at home of about a month before I've sussed it all out and realised that it's just last years game with a couple of tweaks.

I want something COMPLETELY new from SI.

Back to Skyrim then....

So what you want from the for FM2013 is a non-football game?

FM is a simulation - unless something huge changes in football IRL it will highly unlikely change in FM.

I just recently bought FM12 through the Steam at a decent discount and although the game looks and feels pretty much the same as FM11, I knew that from the experience as a long-term FM-fan. My overall experience: Football Manager 2012 is a great game overall and since there aren't any real competitors, you are going to buy FM12 if you like football and have patience and interest in managing games. The real question is: "Is it worth buying the game for full price every year?". I think it isn't. FM11 felt like something totally new after FM07 so I'd guess 2-3 years is enough to satisfy your needs and support the series without feeling scammed.

The original poster is so worried about crashes and Steam problems but personally I have been using Steam on and off during the last 8 years and I have never had any major problems. I also bought a PC a month ago (all key components are quality and brand new) and with the latest hardware and updated software I have experienced only a few game crashes (all games counted) and those have been due to the game software (acknowledged and updated later by the developer).

So basically, if you have a decent computer, basic computer skills which includes some understanding of maintaining your computer in a good shape, you should be fine. Last summer I played FM11 on my 3-year-old laptop without any problems whatsoever.

Have you tried getting support in the support forum? I also had an annoying problem recently and was amazed how much people are trying to help you cope with technical issues there.

Also, not to be taken as a piracy accusation, if you have installed the same copy (if it was the same copy) on so many systems with separate owners who may play the game as well without you being able to control it, maybe Steam tracks this down as a possible EULA violation and therefore takes steps to counter that.

I don't know, because I haven't seen your tactic. But in my game, Rooney scored 36 goals last season and 32 the season before. Clearly, there is a way of getting him to perform up to his ability.

That's my point, he was scoring absolutely fine, but since 12.1, he isn't, he's hitting the post all the time.

I don't think its tactical.

If the game is installed on two different computers you could be having an issue because you and your brother are trying to run the game at the same time, Steam obviously will not allow that, one copy can only be played at one time. I believe there are Mac issue related to Steam, but that will mostly be because Steam is relatively new to Mac's, unfortunately when you have a Mac you have to expect not everything is going to run smoothly on it, almost everything game related is made for PC's primarily, there are often issues porting them onto Mac's. Steam has done the job SI wanted this year, and for the vast majority of us it has worked fine, you dont end up with 30 million users if your product is terrible, i personally think this will be the way forward for the foreseeable future, most likely for the vast majority of PC games.

The rate of nervousness, complacency and lack of confidence in players is probably a bit unbalanced after the update, since those were designed for a game-world where Superb morale and winning streaks/very low morale and losing streaks was the normal situation. This results in both an incredible amount of panicky clearances and missed chances. Despite of this, I still win most of my matches, so I'd say it is a combination of tactical and motivational issues.

It is also a bit strange that you need to have much higher reputation than the players if they are to listen to you. This results in a strange situation: if you start out with relatively low reputation in a club with low reputation but do well, both the club, the players and you will naturally increase in reputation... equally much (apparently). This means that as long as you take a club up the ranks you will remain despised by your players indefinitely!

That is my first impression regarding the tweaks to the morale and reputation systems. I hope I am wrong.

I can cosign on what the OP says about installation (also on a Mac, and yes, I meet the system specs). Had the exact same problems with Steam and it was infuriating. I feel it is completely unfair I am expected to browse through endless amounts of FAQ/Tech support threads on the forums to get the game to run.

That said, once I got it up and running I simply loved it! Best version so far. Keep up the good work SI, but please make the whole installation process smoother for next year. This year was horrid. Im not supposed to have to reinstall steam, check cache, verify this, mutter about that etc... If I buy the disc, the game should be able to install it without any trouble what-so-ever from said disk. To be prompted with a 2h download of what seemed the entire game (~2.4GB) is just asking for bad customer reviews.

If you are going to use Steam, you better make it work out of the box. You wont scare away an avid fan like myself, but to quote the hysterical lady from the Simpsons "Somebody please think of the children!!!!"

I see your point but look at it from my point of view...

.... I have been taking a dump longer that it took me to start the game this time around.

You are missing the point. Im sure I would have had no quarrels if I had been sitting on optic fibre next door to "SI patch HQ" using the latest machine updated with the new Intel liquid crystal processor running 10GB Ram at 4264 hz...

All Im asking is for a smooth install here. Nothing else. Im not expecting my system to run 24 leagues down to tier 4. Im not expecting 10k players in my database. Im asking for the game to install without 2-4 hours of fuzz. Im asking for it to install from the disk. Im asking, no expecting, the game to be installable from the get-go. I dont think that is unreasonable.

If the game is installed on two different computers you could be having an issue because you and your brother are trying to run the game at the same time, Steam obviously will not allow that, one copy can only be played at one time. I believe there are Mac issue related to Steam, but that will mostly be because Steam is relatively new to Mac's, unfortunately when you have a Mac you have to expect not everything is going to run smoothly on it, almost everything game related is made for PC's primarily, there are often issues porting them onto Mac's. Steam has done the job SI wanted this year, and for the vast majority of us it has worked fine, you dont end up with 30 million users if your product is terrible, i personally think this will be the way forward for the foreseeable future, most likely for the vast majority of PC games.

We bought two retail copies mate.

And I've been playing FM on my mac for years.

Fred_FCB said:
You are missing the point. Im sure I would have had no quarrels if I had been sitting on optic fibre next door to "SI patch HQ" using the latest machine updated with the new Intel liquid crystal processor running 10GB Ram at 4264 hz...

All Im asking is for a smooth install here. Nothing else. Im not expecting my system to run 24 leagues down to tier 4. Im not expecting 10k players in my database. Im asking for the game to install without 2-4 hours of fuzz. Im asking for it to install from the disk. Im asking, no expecting, the game to be installable from the get-go. I dont think that is unreasonable.

[Removed a useless post, my mistake. Apologies to those offended.]

I don't think I'm missing the point here. Your exaggerated answer just proved me you are a dumbass. FM11 ran just fine on my 3-year-old laptop with 6 playable leagues selected and about 25k players loaded, and again no problems with Steam installation.

Besides I'm from Finland, where are you from? Steam has servers all around Europe. I have been using Sweden but I just checked and nowadays there seems to be "Finland" as a location as well. If your connection is bad, surely you can leave it running over one night?

Stop calling people idiots, it's a fact that some people have had problems with Steam (especially Mac users) whether or not that's their fault or their systems fault it's still damned frustrating and what those who haven't suffered should be doing is helping those people, not belittling them.

Ok I apologize. :o But I remember the days when I was eagerly downloading a 50 MB patch for CM03/04 through 56k modem and it took me ages (due to everyone downloading at the same time, SI site down etc.). But it was worth it in the end :D (thank you Download Accelerator back then)

IMO this years FM is the worst FM experience since 2007. The worst is the fact that SI doesn't bother at all about the countless bugs in the game.

OK, I admit most are small annoying bugs, but countless small stupid things have turned out FM into a game I want to avoid... This was maybe my last FM

Pretty sure they try to do as much as they can with regards to fixing bugs as they have released a couple of small fix updates plus a pretty major update so to say they don't bother with bugs is completely unfounded and wrong.

FM12 is no where near the worst game they have released and has been playable since day one. Sure it has bugs all software does but from what I have seen there are no game breaking bugs from where I'm sitting.

I have multiple desktops at home, a laptop and a net book and play FM on just about all of them. Thankfully i'm pretty intuitive when it comes to computers and every time Steam has seized up i've been able to sort it out, minus an hour or so of my time.

However the bottom line is that for me Steam is completely not worth it. Steam has consistently caused me problems with FM and other games at 3-4 times the frequency compared to a game installed off a disc.

Worse, any time supposedly saved by automatic updates etc (rather than typing it into a search engine, downloading it and running the exe.) is completely eaten up by all those times when I have to browse around looking for a specific fix for some unknown steam error, or times when the freaking automatic update downloading problem has stopped the game working, or made my save incompatible (the latter hasn't happened with FM, but has happened with other games).

Any product packaged with Steam is a product whose value is seriously diminished because I don't want any of the unnecessary bulls**t it's packaged with and know that I will wind up fiddling with Steam settings, or re-installing everything, or scouring the internet for clues, or waiting for Steam support to get back to me - on average at least twice per game I buy that runs on Steam.

I hate it. I hate it. I hate it. The fact that I am forced to use it makes me think twice before purchasing the game. For the record I seriously doubt i'll bother this year. The last two years of problem after problem were enough to put me off. I've got this version working sweetly and it's not worth the hassle to do it all over again.

I am also starting to think that Si dont want my money any more. I have bought cm and then fm since cm94 and I have always enjoyed the game even during some years where there wasnt much progress but the requirement of a steam account and all the hassle I am having with it is making me angry that I am being treated like a thief. I always buy the game legitimately and now today I have been getting a variety of errors, some of which question whether I have a genuine copy of the game, which of course I dled from steam. I have also been getting steam errors including the notorious error 41 to add to the many errors I have had previously. Tonight after 3 hours of play ( I know I know I should have saved) my game crashed and gave me these errors and I assume when I finally get the game going again tomorrow or the day after I will have lost that time, no other game I have does this and I am the idiot who paid for it, people who pirate it often dont get this to deal with cos the hackers know how to program round the traps. I hate what steam and SI have done to my game and I will think twice about buying it again.

I put it onto a 5 year old laptop and ran a custom database of just 3 leagues (its all it could handle) and it played it perfectly!

Most steam issues are caused by poor internet connection, some other PC issue or that something is still downloading.

Most steam issues can be fixed by going into offline mode, restarting steam, validating the game cache or deleting specific files or two (I wish valve/steam would automate this one day).

Give your PC a little TLC, clean out its registry, give it a defrag and run all your adware/spyware removers to ensure nothing is stealing bandwidth or compromising your system.

Steam is primarily a distribution/server lobby platform with some DRM, so for at least every person who will only but FM if it is available on steam there is probably a new steam user who will not buy it again because of steam.

Pretty much all the steam users I know from games like Counter-Strike and Team Fortress 2 who have bought FM11 and FM12 would not have bothered to get it if it was not on steam. I think we all share that attitude because we all have decent interconnections and know steam really well. I have had problems with other Steam games but never FM, it is by far one of the simpler games to run from Steam and I think SI have done a great job.

Game at an all time low in my opinion, just seems really dull, too much emphasise on stuff that doesn't interest me at all, such as team talks etc.

Would normally have played many hours over the Xmas/New Year period, but no longer even feel inclined to load it up, seems more like a chore than fun.

Great shame as have been enjoying the game for MANY MANY years.

Game at an all time low in my opinion, just seems really dull, too much emphasise on stuff that doesn't interest me at all, such as team talks etc.

Would normally have played many hours over the Xmas/New Year period, but no longer even feel inclined to load it up, seems more like a chore than fun.

Great shame as have been enjoying the game for MANY MANY years.

Automate them then with the AssMan, go to "team policy" and set it all up there so you dont have to click. Personally I like all those things and it was what I wanted from the game. Each to their own, I guess I am a little weird :D

The game in itself is lovely, as I said before by far my favorite version of FM to date.

As a rule, I have nothing against Steam, nor any type of DRM solution. Im a developer myself, althou small time indie :p, so I understand and fully support SI's endeavor to fight piracy (Steam might have other solid points too, but except from their online store I hardly find them necessary or useful).

I just hope this years launch generated some valuable lessons on installation/Steam issues. Im sure they will be ironed out for next year.

My experience with the game so far has been great, but was soiled by the hazzle of installation. Granted, with each hour I log, that initial frustration seems to fade ;). Give it a few days and I might have forgotten all about it...

I put it onto a 5 year old laptop and ran a custom database of just 3 leagues (its all it could handle) and it played it perfectly!

Most steam issues are caused by poor internet connection, some other PC issue or that something is still downloading.

Most steam issues can be fixed by going into offline mode, restarting steam, validating the game cache or deleting specific files or two (I wish valve/steam would automate this one day).

Give your PC a little TLC, clean out its registry, give it a defrag and run all your adware/spyware removers to ensure nothing is stealing bandwidth or compromising your system.

Steam is primarily a distribution/server lobby platform with some DRM, so for at least every person who will only but FM if it is available on steam there is probably a new steam user who will not buy it again because of steam.

My points we're regarding Mac, not so much PC.

From what I can tell, many Mac users have suffered on this release.

At this point i think it's quite good, the only major problem i had was constant crash dumps after 12.1 but apparently that was caused by playing on full screen, since playing in windowed mode that problem is gone and my computer is somewhat old so the problem is on my end anyway.

About the game itself, 12.1 fixed the goal kick bug that was something that really annoyed me, now goal/long kicks are actually usable and no longer a liability, you also don't score cheap goals anymore, the corners seem to have improved and i don't see so many goals from corners as before, i'm still trying to figure out the new morale system but right now the game is great.

Something that still annoys me a lot sometimes it's the fickleness of the ME with strategy changes though, how many times i've scored a goal only to have the AI equalize right after on the next kick off, when that happens i just want to quit the game because it completly kills any immersion the game creates(just as the goal kick bug did before), i don't have a problem if they score like 5 minutes after if they are more offensive and are committing more people forward, but right on the kick-off it's just too ridiculous.

And it seems a lot harder to loan players as well on this version, this is something where the players should have a lot less freedom to decline a loan IMO.

Archived