English/Welsh Nationality

Apologies if this has been done before, tried a search, but couldn't find anything.

I am manager of Newport County at the moment and have progressed so that the club is challenging for the Championship. There's a large number of English players at the club and I was wondering if they would develop Welsh nationality at some point, similar to if a Brazilian was playing in Belgium or something.

I know there's a rule IRL about it, or something along the lines of one, but I did the same save last year and had some players develop a Welsh nationality and others that didn't, so that might have been a bug or something.

The rule is something along the lines that if a player from one of the home nations has spent a certain number of school years in one of the other home nations he can choose to represent that nation, but as players arrive after school in FM im not sure how its worked out, what i can say for certain is that players do take up other home nation nationalities in the game, i have seen quite a few Welsh only players take up Scottish nationality after moving to Scotland at a young age but what the conditions are in game im not sure.

The problem is regarding welsh teams in the english system is that under FM their nation is England so therefore they will never become welsh. Plus it wouldn't mean anything anyway because of the agreement between the home nations that only player that have blood connection between to nation can be called up. So players who gain nationality through residency cannot be called up.

The rule is something along the lines that if a player from one of the home nations has spent a certain number of school years in one of the other home nations he can choose to represent that nation, but as players arrive after school in FM im not sure how its worked out, what i can say for certain is that players do take up other home nation nationalities in the game, i have seen quite a few Welsh only players take up Scottish nationality after moving to Scotland at a young age but what the conditions are in game im not sure.

The rule is they have had to be educated in the country for 5 years with is done before they appear in the FM so they can come into your youth intake has dual nationality, but not after if you sign a youth player from another club at the age of 15/16 and they develop the nationality through residency they cannot be called up.

Yes they can Andrew Driver has not Scottish family, he is English but has lived in Scotland for long enough to be considered eligible for Scotland.

Driver was previously a Scotland schoolboy international,[22] scoring a goal in a 2–1 Victory Shield defeat by England on 22 November 2002.

England U21 manager Stuart Pearce called the uncapped Driver up for the 2009 European Championships. He made his debut and only appearance at the tournament in the 1–1 draw against Germany on 22 June 2009 during the group stages.

He was thought to be eligible to play for the Scotland senior team because of the new residency ruling recently introduced.[23][24] He was not called up by then-manager George Burley as Burley stated that it was Driver's choice to officially make himself available for selection.[25] On 4 February 2010, Driver committed his international future to Scotland after face-to-face talks with Scotland manager Craig Levein.[26] Only one week after opting to represent Scotland, the Scottish FA informed Driver he was not eligible to play for the national team, as he had not been schooled in Scotland for the requisite period of time.[27] This rule was subsequently altered to allow Driver to play for Scotland,[28] although he is yet to do so.

The rule is they have had to be educated in the country for 5 years with is done before they appear in the FM so they can come into your youth intake has dual nationality, but not after if you sign a youth player from another club at the age of 15/16 and they develop the nationality through residency they cannot be called up.

I think that was the rule initially, but it was changed so players can be called up because of residency.

Yes they can Andrew Driver has not Scottish family, he is English but has lived in Scotland for long enough to be considered eligible for Scotland.

Driver was previously a Scotland schoolboy international,[22] scoring a goal in a 2–1 Victory Shield defeat by England on 22 November 2002.

England U21 manager Stuart Pearce called the uncapped Driver up for the 2009 European Championships. He made his debut and only appearance at the tournament in the 1–1 draw against Germany on 22 June 2009 during the group stages.

He was thought to be eligible to play for the Scotland senior team because of the new residency ruling recently introduced.[23][24] He was not called up by then-manager George Burley as Burley stated that it was Driver's choice to officially make himself available for selection.[25] On 4 February 2010, Driver committed his international future to Scotland after face-to-face talks with Scotland manager Craig Levein.[26] Only one week after opting to represent Scotland, the Scottish FA informed Driver he was not eligible to play for the national team, as he had not been schooled in Scotland for the requisite period of time.[27] This rule was subsequently altered to allow Driver to play for Scotland,[28] although he is yet to do so.

I don't know if it is the same for the other home nations, but the rule was changed to allow Driver to play. This was brought up in another thread yesterday.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/293470-Should-I-be-able-to-call-him-up

There's a large number of English players at the club and I was wondering if they would develop Welsh nationality at some point, similar to if a Brazilian was playing in Belgium or something.

I know there's a rule IRL about it, or something along the lines of one, but I did the same save last year and had some players develop a Welsh nationality and others that didn't, so that might have been a bug or something.

Look at your passport and tell us what it says on it regarding your nationality. That will answer your question about gaining Welsh nationality.

Players might be able to become eligible to play for Wales, as others have outlined above.

Wrong. He has been educated in Scotland for five years or more before the age of 18, it doesn't matter where he lived (if he'd travelled to Scotland every day but lived in England then he'd be eligible). Residency can't qualify you.

Archived