Career routes

I wonder if anyone has seen a player who has had a career route like e.g. Grant Holt - being released by an academy as "one of many", working hard in lower leagues, before reaching full potential at around 30 and playing at a decent Premiership level.

It would make the game a lot more realistic.

In my previous save i had a regen who aged 17 was released by Fulham, i signed him for then Blue Square Prem Crewe. Two years later he was my captain, played all but 3 league games and was key to my successive promotions. I left for then Prem Sheff Wed and signed him for 3m, within four years he was Chelsea and England captain and moved for a transfer fee of 34m.

Will see if i can find a screenshot and uplaod it.

There's a load of players who are doing it on my game, although I'm not using real players.

Just started my 7th season as Boreham Wood, and just got them into League One, and every single player I've signed was a youth who's been released by a Premiership/Championship club. After 4 years, the player will generally not want to play for the paltry wages I offer and so I'll ship them on for a bit of money in the last year of their contract. The player in question almost always moves up to a bigger team in a higher division. The better players I've sold have ended up on massive contracts and Championship clubs, and I suspect some will make it into the Premiership as these players are only 22/23 by the time I sell them.

I guess in game, the big difference between a player making it or not is the games he plays. Leave him playing for the youths/reserves and you'll end up releasing him, or get him to play 40 games a season in the lower leagues and he'll become quite the handy player.

But to answer your question, they've not quite made it into the Premiership (yet), but a ton of players in my game have been released as youths and are no playing for megabucks in the professional leagues

On FM 2010, I sold an 18 year old, who I thought might have potential, but my staff disagreed, for a minimal sum, though there was a sell on clause. I would have kept him, but I had 4 world class strikers, and a couple of other better prospects, so he'd not get a look in and wouldn't develop. (I was a dominant Liverpool in the mid 2020's)

Started off at Wolves in the championship, for a few years, steady prospect, nothing special. Went to Blackburn in the prem after a few seasons, and kept them afloat, earning his spot at title challengers Spurs, before finishing his Career at Liverpool who I'd left and then returned to. He was also my England Captain by this point too. Quite the turnaround for the guy. Good old Dale Forde.

In my game there are 2 city youngsters, 3 united youngsters, 1 arsenal youngster & 1 fulham youngster that when released joined L2 or BSP teams, they are all now in Premier league teams (8th season)

In my previous save i had a regen who aged 17 was released by Fulham, i signed him for then Blue Square Prem Crewe. Two years later he was my captain, played all but 3 league games and was key to my successive promotions. I left for then Prem Sheff Wed and signed him for 3m, within four years he was Chelsea and England captain and moved for a transfer fee of 34m.

Will see if i can find a screenshot and uplaod it.

Would love to see a screenshot of that guy, sounds fantastic :thup:

In FM11 I managed to sign Davide Petrucci for my Brentford side after he was released from Man United. Years later I saw he'd moved on to Palermo as a really top Attacking Mid. Think he might have had an Italy cap too.

Reading that spooked me out, I had to look over at your name as I thought I may have posted it lol. I've just signed Davide Petrucci for my Brentford side in FM12 and he is developing nicely, just the kind of central attacking player I needed.

Glad to see another Brentford player! Do you have a game with them in FM12?

Archived