Tutoring Options

I tried searching for what the tutoring options do for this years version, but I couldn't find anything posted about it so I figure I'll ask if people had the same experience as me for using the two options. I didn't really test it or anything just tried to observe the personality trait changes using genie scout once the tutoring was done of about 10 players with each option while playing my save.

From what I gathered, it seems like the first option (I feel you can help improve his game), there is a bigger emphasis on determination and the student has a greater chance of reaching the tutors determination while the other personality traits like professionalism and ambition generally won't change all the way to the tutors stats. Seems like the opposite for the 2nd option(take under wing and mentor off field), a better chance for all the personality traits to match up to the tutors stats, but the determination does not rise as much. I didn't particularly find any notable difference in CA increase between the two, but since most of my players that were being tutored played some first team football, its hard to judge the effects. Also, the hidden attributes such as consistency, and imp matches, does not seem to improve with tutoring at all, and since I've never seen it change I wonder if that is just a permanent stat. Anyways, I'll like to hear anybody else's experience with the tutoring options, to see if mine was more of a coincidence or the actual way its supposed to work.

• 6 months later...

I am finding it difficult to continue my save because of this. I started this save because I wanted to do everything right for a change but I am stuck on this. Without knowing what these two options will do I feel like I am wasting my time. I certainly don't want to play a 6 month stretch only to find that my choices were poor. Does anyone know for sure what each of these options actually does?

Now a small rant. Tutoring needs to be a much simpler process. You should be able to block unwanted PPM's from transfering to the tutee. How hard would it be to tell the tutor not to teach certain moves?? Also, we need a tutor screen added for FM13 so all available tutors for the player are shown. Digging through menu's trying to find who can tutor a young player is tedious at best.

I haven't tested this, as I couldn't be bothered (they change it every year anyways, with NO documentation), but I think the first one means on and off the pitch tutoring. Meaning both attributes and PPMs, while the second is only off the pitch, which means he will not learn PPMs. Second one would be good if you just want your youngster to move towards his personality, but doesn't want him to learn a (useless) PPM that you can't remove later on.

But that is just my guesstimate :)

I haven't tested this, as I couldn't be bothered (they change it every year anyways, with NO documentation), but I think the first one means on and off the pitch tutoring. Meaning both attributes and PPMs, while the second is only off the pitch, which means he will not learn PPMs. Second one would be good if you just want your youngster to move towards his personality, but doesn't want him to learn a (useless) PPM that you can't remove later on.

But that is just my guesstimate :)

I don't about FM12 but according to SI recent versions have all been the same.

That was the options make no difference to the tutoring, its all about how important the tutor is in the squad. You run the risk of suffering a morale drop/making the tutor unhappy if you pick the wrong option but the tutoring process is always the same.

I agree with the consensus that it is confusing.

I remember there use to be three options and nobody knew the difference - now there is two and still we are no clearer.

Surely one tutoring option is enough.

We do know the difference, as Cougar mentioned earlier. During a discussion about the three tutoring options in FM10 someone from SI popped up to say that all three options provided the same tutoring experience, the reason for choosing different options was basically to match the squad status of the tutor so as not to hurt the poor guys feelings :p - option A for Key Player, B for 1st Team (and rotation!), C for Backup. Four into three anyone?

I'm still playing FM10 so I can't help with FM12 and as SI continue to fail to provide comprehensive documentation for the game, someone from the community will have to work it out.

I don't about FM12 but according to SI recent versions have all been the same.

That was the options make no difference to the tutoring, its all about how important the tutor is in the squad. You run the risk of suffering a morale drop/making the tutor unhappy if you pick the wrong option but the tutoring process is always the same.

Well it can hardly be the same as the number of options have changed over the years :) ... so something HAS changed. But without documentation of the feature, it can be hard to guess sometimes.

• 2 weeks later...
I refuse to let this die without some clarity. Do the two tutor options only matter to the tutor or do they have an affect on the results? SI? Anyone?

I decided to test this, and the options only determine (as far as I can see) whether the youngsters can learn the tutor's PPMs or not. It does not seem to matter which squad status the tutors have, and what option you select.

you can see my results here: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/312513-Tutoring-options

I haven't made any test as such but to me it seems that personality and determination are easier transferred when you choose the option not to learn PPMs as well.

This seems to be the case when tutoring NewGen players. There is little to no difference in stat changes when tutoring players that are in the database already.

I have not tested the newgen thing yet, but hope to do it this weekend.

Archived