Should I Update to 12.1.1 or Remain at 12.0.4

Hi guys,

I'm currently at 12.0.4. With all the controversy concerning the latest patch, I've been reluctant to update to 12.1.1.

What would you do? Should I remain at 12.0.4 and update when the final patch gets released or update now?

Thanks for any advice.

I could be being foolish here, but I thought the game somehow forced you to update even if in offline mode..?

If I had the chance, I'd definitely go back to the previous version.

Nope. I just checked. I'm still at 12.0.4. Steam didn't force an update. I'm going to update eventually, I'm just not sure when would be the best time. Usually I always update but there have been so many complaints with this latest patch, that I decided to wait for the moment.

Nope. I just checked. I'm still at 12.0.4. Steam didn't force an update. I'm going to update eventually, I'm just not sure when would be the best time. Usually I always update but there have been so many complaints with this latest patch, that I decided to wait for the moment.

The update may force you to tweak your tactic. If you are unwilling to do this, don't let FM patch the game.

My opinion is that the game is improved by the update.

I would chose to update because they have fixed the bizzare aspect of the match engine that turned goal kicks into the most dangerous scoring opportunity for the opposition. This flaw came close to ruining the game for me and it is now gone. Also, corner kicks appear not to be so insanely dangerous now either and that is an improvement as well.

12.1.1 is by far the best option, but only if you want your game to run as it should and to give you the challenge it was designed to do. Morale has been improved for the better (don't listen to the naysayers on this), along with other things that needed tweaking. It does mean you'll possibly need to remake your tactics though if you overachieved on 12.0.4. And as Redbyrd said, that annoying goalkick-header-one-on-one bug has finally been squashed. Its worth it just for that imho :)

Aspects of 12.0.4 were broken but a lot of people enjoyed it nevertheless so basically if you want the game to be more of a challenge, then update, if you enjoy it as it is in its current state then I see no reason for you to update. But if you want the benefit of the new transfer updates in february/march then eventually you'll need to put Steam back online for those.

Please excuse my inexperience here but how are the tactics tied into morale. As far as I understand morale, there would either be a player attribute increase or decrease depending on whether their morale was superb or poor. Or maybe I'm not quite sure how morale affects the players. Anyway I'm guessing a tactic would either be performed better or worse depending on the morale. And again I could be wrong. I only started playing Football Manager almost 2 years ago.

It looks like from the posts above that, so far, more people prefer 12.1.1 over 12.0.4.

People think that they need to change their tactics on the new patchy simply because they had rubbish tactics in 12.0.4, which worked because of the morale bug...Now, if your tactics is good it will be OK in 12.1.1 and if it is OK in 12.1.1, then it would be insanely good in 12.0.4...I personally tweak my tactics quite often when things are not going the way I want them to...in 12.1.1 I have found myself tweaking them sometimes, in 12.0.4 far less as even if it wasn't very good my team was still winning :) So, bottom line - upgrade... if you find it hard just start a new game with better reputation...but you won't have to if you can handle your tactics well.

I'm still on 12.0.2. For me it depends on how you're enjoying the game.

I won't be going online to update, maybe I'm taking the easy option, but I struggled a lot with FM11, so am happy that I've found the right balance of challenge vs. reward with this one.

I saw a post from an SI person that said that the patch made morale have less of an impact on the result of the game. I just hire an excellent assistant and let him handle it. I've found results to be more connsistent now and not wildly go and up down depending on the morale of my players. So for me, there's no need to micro-manage moral any more. And this is a great improvement.

I would chose to update because they have fixed the bizzare aspect of the match engine that turned goal kicks into the most dangerous scoring opportunity for the opposition. This flaw came close to ruining the game for me and it is now gone. Also, corner kicks appear not to be so insanely dangerous now either and that is an improvement as well.

Agree, these two changes alone make the game feel far better and more realistic :)

The difficulty doesn't appear to be much changed for me.

I also have steam in offline mode and am still playing 12.0.4 so can confirm that this works for as long as steam is offline.

Me too and I'm sticking with 12.0.4

One key factor is - do you use any free utilities - i.e. Genie Scout or FMRTE? People who have updated are having to wait for Genie to catch up, and the new FMRTE is causing controversy because now the maker requires you to pay for it. If I wasn't using these I would update to get the benefit of tougher morale and some ME improvements, but on balance I decided to stick with that I've got since I'm happy enough with my save.

I've just noticed numerous posts in the bugs forum about missing goals or phantom goals. I'm not sure if this was happening before the new patch but I think it may have been. However, there are quite a few posts of this occurring after the latest patch. Either way I'm not updating until this is resolved. If this bug occurred before the latest patch I think I will either go back to my FM10 save or start a new save in FM11. I don't recall anyone posting any scoring errors in FM11.

• SI Staff
I've just noticed numerous posts in the bugs forum about missing goals or phantom goals. I'm not sure if this was happening before the new patch but I think it may have been. However, there are quite a few posts of this occurring after the latest patch. Either way I'm not updating until this is resolved. If this bug occurred before the latest patch I think I will either go back to my FM10 save or start a new save in FM11. I don't recall anyone posting any scoring errors in FM11.

Unfortunately we have had occurrences of this issue in pretty much every release going back to FM2005, but they are impossible to replicate generally so very hard to fix. Fortunately they are becoming more rare as we fix each instance that we are able to replicate but clearly there are one or two still out there.

Unfortunately we have had occurrences of this issue in pretty much every release going back to FM2005, but they are impossible to replicate generally so very hard to fix. Fortunately they are becoming more rare as we fix each instance that we are able to replicate but clearly there are one or two still out there.

Thanks for the explanation Paul. FM10 was my first experience with Football Manager and I never came across this situation before. Hopefully it is a rare experience with FM12 because I would like to update my game.

• SI Staff

Jeff,

I cannot imagine any reason for you not to update it. There are some very vocal opponents of 12.1, but the same names seem to crop up in many such posts, and I believe the state of the forums currently suggests the majority are enjoying the game.

The only way I can imagine you'd be unhappy is if you have a current game where you are relying on constantly high morale to succeed and you have no desire to adapt to a more balanced morale system in 12.1.

Cheers,

Paul

Jeff,

I cannot imagine any reason for you not to update it. There are some very vocal opponents of 12.1, but the same names seem to crop up in many such posts, and I believe the state of the forums currently suggests the majority are enjoying the game.

The only way I can imagine you'd be unhappy is if you have a current game where you are relying on constantly high morale to succeed and you have no desire to adapt to a more balanced morale system in 12.1.

Cheers,

Paul

Thanks for the reply again Paul. To tell you the truth, my tactical experience is a bit limited. I just got into Football Manager in 2010 as well as watching Football on tv also. Because of my limited knowledge with tactics, I generally rely on the tactical creator and I try to create a tactic based upon the preferred postions of the players. So I don't think my tactics will be affected by morale since I'm not doing anything out of the norm.

Archived