Defensive Strategy, yet using counter attacks.

The defensive strategy has always used the counter attacking option, at least on FM11 and FM12 anyway. If your looking to get your strikers dropping deep closing down players and just clearing the ball into touch it'll be the Contain strategy your looking for.

The defensive strategy has always used the counter attacking option, at least on FM11 and FM12 anyway. If your looking to get your strikers dropping deep closing down players and just clearing the ball into touch it'll be the Contain strategy your looking for.

Nope, I just checked, the box was NOT "ticked "in FM11.3. So the question is, was it so on 12.0.4 ?

The thing is, I always used the defenisve strategy as a way of playing really agressiv whilst keeping possession. I pushed up and hassled the opponent but at the same time, I never wanted my defensive players, like the CM set to defend and the fullbacks on defend to join the attacks. As it is now though, they will join the attack since we play on the counter

Nope, I just checked, the box was NOT "ticked "in FM11.3. So the question is, was it so on 12.0.4 ?

That is correct. Wwfan, the man who is responsible for TC, has commented on this allredy. I think this change was made with 12.1.0.

Why this was done, I dont know. Ask wwfan.

Why this was done, I dont know. Ask wwfan.

Probably a bit of balancing. Maybe it was found that the TC's implementation of a "defensive" strategy created too few scoring opportunities due to the team pulling back and winning back the ball in its own half most of the time. Unless anything was changed, what the counter-attacking tick box does is increasing the likelyhood of a counter attack to happen, the players being more riskier to attack when on the break, not enabling it to happen at all. PaulC once wrote that it works like this: A counter attack is started when there are less than X opposing players between the ball carrier and the opposing goal. Ticking the box means X is a bigger number than with the box unticked, making it more likely that a team tries to catch the opposition on the break when winning back the ball.

Likewise, it appears the TC's "attacking" strategy was equally tweaked by unticking the counter attack tick box, which it previously did tick. Maybe it was found that players were prone to counter attack and to engage in risky attacking moves a tad too often. After all, employing the TC's attacking strategy increases closing down, tackling and mentality settings amongst other tweaks, making a team push further up the pitch and winning the ball back much earlier. As for attacking strategies, counter attack is now only ticked if you want to "overload" an opponent. Interesting find.

Thanks. Do you have any idea in which thread this was mentioned ?

Only thing I can remember is that the thread was in Tactics & Training Discussion. I think it was around a week ago he mentioned it, but unfortunately I cant remember what was the name of the thread.

Only thing I can remember is that the thread was in Tactics & Training Discussion. I think it was around a week ago he mentioned it, but unfortunately I cant remember what was the name of the thread.

Aye, it was changed. Some of the post-TC tactical research we did suggested that counter attacking was a better fit to the more defensive tactics, so we took this opportunity to remove it from the attacking strategy and add to the defensive. However, as overload is intended to get players forward at all opportunities, it was kept in for that strategy.

In theory, defensive AI teams should now have a few more teeth, as should attacking ones, as they now have fewer players shooting from range and wasting good positions.

Aye, it was changed. Some of the post-TC tactical research we did suggested that counter attacking was a better fit to the more defensive tactics, so we took this opportunity to remove it from the attacking strategy and add to the defensive. However, as overload is intended to get players forward at all opportunities, it was kept in for that strategy.

In theory, defensive AI teams should now have a few more teeth, as should attacking ones, as they now have fewer players shooting from range and wasting good positions.

I like the idea of this. Just one more question as I spend 12.0.X in Classic mode. Was this change made inbetween patches ( 12.0.x and 12.1) or inbetween games ( FM11-FM12 ) ?

Cheers

Archived