Youth contract rules

Wasn't sure what to call this post, but here's the issue:

I'm Santos and am scouting young talent. Sometimes I find a player that is, say, 16 and the option 'approach to sign' appears, but other times a similar player does not allow this option. Both players are on similarly long contracts with their clubs, so I'm wondering, how can I figure out what transfer rules exist for youth players for each league?

I've also had a hard time figuring out when a player (of any age) whose contract is expiring will become approachable? I have one player in mind whose contract is expiring in 4 months (25 yr old Brazilian). Other clubs are offering him contracts, but I only have the option of making a bid with his club.

Any help appreciated!

Cheers.

A player on a Youth Contract can be approached using the "Approach to sign" from his player profile. If it doesn't appear, it's because he's agreed to sign a professional contract with his current club or another club. You need to to look at his contract page to see what type of contract he's on.

The only differences are the transfer of Under 18 players across the world. Under 18s can move freely in Europe, but they must wait until they're 18 to move continents, ie, South America > Europe.

As for the 25 year old Brazilian, who is putting in contract offers to him? EU clubs? Brazilian clubs?

I still haven't figured out how to know when a player with an expiring contract will become approachable.

6 months before the end of their contract unless it's between 2 English teams when it is 1 month before the contract ends.

• 1 year later...
Genearally i think if the player is at an overseas club you can approach withing 6 months of the end of contract, if he is in your clubs nation then you only have the last month of the contract to speak to him

This isn't strictly true.

It applies in England, and other countries like Brazil and perhaps Ukraine have their own specific rules, but the "within your own country" isn't a blanket rule.

Archived