Promoting Youth to Reserve team

Was wondering if anyone has ever had coaches recommending you to promote some of your Youth team players to the Reserve team? Or do you have to decide this yourself? :confused:

Seen the option in Private Chat under Development where you can say to the player:

'The coaching staff and I have decided that your development will be best served by playing reserve team football from now on.'

I haven't seen a message specifically stating to promote. I tend to keep an eye on training updates and match performance (is your youth team manager highlighting a player regular). By promoting a play you are exposing him to a better standard of football. Also he will move onto a senior training schedule I think haven't done it myself but I think I read somewhere in the forum that on FM12 its not contract specific so if you demote a 17 year old to reserves he will train with the youths even if he is on a full-time contract.

Would it be best to promote youth team players to reserve, then after a while loan him out? Or loan him out first and then put him into reserves?

The reserve team doesn't play enough matches to keep its players match fit in England. It is an option aimed at players not getting too much first team experience, to get at least some football matches from time to time. If you promote players from the youth team to the reserve team they need to be good enough to play first team matches, otherwise their development will stall because of lack of match fitness.

So even after the changes to the training system I still use the reserve team as a place to stuff players who have no future at the club. The reserve team matches are used to give youth and first team players who need it match experience.

Reserve team is pretty much useless except for German and Norway where reserve teams actually play in their domestic leagues.

For Germany and Norway clubs, they never need a feed club since their reserve side faces rather tough competitions. There are other nations that have similar reserve system as Germany and Norway, but FM just doesn't go deep enough into their league systems to make any use of it.

Even for Germany and Norway, you need custom databases.

I tend to set all U18 players to be available for reserve matches and if they're good enough they'll get games.

My reserve team is pretty big and is essentially where I keep the majority of players I sign but aren't gonna be good enough to sell on at a profit with a few clauses attached if they do get good, the majority of my top prospects will go out on loan to either League 2, Championship or SPL, with the odd few going to Belgium or poss Turkey or Ukraine

Reserve team is pretty much useless except for German and Norway where reserve teams actually play in their domestic leagues.

For Germany and Norway clubs, they never need a feed club since their reserve side faces rather tough competitions. There are other nations that have similar reserve system as Germany and Norway, but FM just doesn't go deep enough into their league systems to make any use of it.

Even for Germany and Norway, you need custom databases.

Sort of like the B teams in Spain?

i pump up the best potential players into the first team. they then play reserve matches or if i get lucky. loaned out (i got 2 loaned out to league 2)

it does annoy me when i get the perfect match from them (friendlys against linfield etc) they are away at some underage players international tourny

I've never had a staff member recommend that I promote a youth player to the reserve team and I'm never in a hurry to do it while a player is progressing well on the youth training schedules. Only if they've developed enough physically and are knocking on the door of the first team, would I consider bringing them through earlier than their 18th birthday.

Sort of like the B teams in Spain?

Well, Spain B teams are a little different since B© teams have their own manager. For Germany and Norway, you have absolute control over your reserve team. You can even manage their games just like first team games.

Spain B teams are just the recipe for disaster.

Germany and Norway reserve teams are also good for "Trashing" your players. Once placed in there, they will never complain that they don't get first team match exp etc etc -

League rules for B team for Germany is harsher than Norway's B team though. I've had semi-decent players retiring from my B teams after being there for 8 years. lol

Archived