Am I Cheating?

I have a very tall centre defender who I have assigned to attack the near post during attacking corners. My corner taker is set to aim at near post so a lot of the time this defender latches onto the ball and powers a header past the keeper. Now, I have been pretty successful this year, more successful than I think I should have been to be honest. I am currently nearing the end of the season and this defender has 18 goals to his name and is my third highest goal scorer. Some of the goals he has scored have been game winners and has earned me vital 3 points throughout my campaign.

I do, however, get a feeling that this is unfair. I have the urge to take this tactic off to bring his goal tally down but then I think to myself, this is not my fault and why should I change a play that is bringing me such success.

Am I basically cheating by employing this tactic or should I just enjoy my success?

For me, it isn't. It's not like the corner bug from a few games ago (I think), where you had to set everybody else up to lurk on the edge of the area except for one player. Putting your best header on the near post and aiming for him is hardly an unrealistic thing to do, it's simply a flaw in the game that's it's a bit too effective.

It not cheating but it is a definite flaw with corners in the game. No way any player could score like that off of corners in real life. I mean imagine how many goals chris samba would have if it were like that in real life.

No, the problem is that it shouldn't even be considered an exploit/cheating.

It should be a normal part of FM that isn't broken or favored to you. How is it fair not using corners to the best of your abilities? A team in real life is always going to try and get it to their best player in the air, why shouldn't we?

No, it's not cheating. However, if for some reason you believe that there is a flaw in the match engine that's allowing you to score unrealistically, then it gets a little more complicated. In that case, I might stop using the "exploit" and report a potential problem to SI. But, again, if you're just using a superior player to win matches, then rock on. As a separate issue, I don't think using "a very tall player" buys you anything. I believe that SI has said in the past that heading and jumping are important attributes but height is irrelevant.

As others have said, it's not cheating - but if you can prove that the match engine is not operating realistically then you should also post in the bugs forum with pkms of incorrect action.

I did once see a real match where my team let in 4 in a game, 3 headers from corners from the same CB (tallest player in the league) and the 4th goal he headed from a corner and someone else scored in the scramble. But it shouldn't happen every game or football would end up with one basketball sized player per team.

It's a flaw in the game of which you have every right to take advantage. Maybe even more, considering that in some areas the AI seems to have some edge over human players.

However, in my view the actual point is not whether or not this constitutes cheating. Because it doesn't matter. As the owner of your game, you have every right to cheat as long as you are not playing against other humans who don't. Just play the game to your liking. If you enjoy your success more than anything else, then fine. If you get odd feelings for exploiting some unrealism in the match engine and that spoils your success, then just make a tweak to make it more realistic.

It's about fun only and you are the sole judge :)

Your job as a football manager is to exploit tactical weaknesses you find in your opposition, is it not?

You are currently doing exactly that, and thus performing your job well.

Short answer: No.

It's not a tactical weakness in the opposition, as it happens with every single team. It's exploiting a weakness in the game programming in a way that wouldn't be possible in reality. In other words, it's cheating.

I think its cheating when people use other peoples tactics... but that's just how i feel. i admit ive browsed and read the posts in threads people have posted on other sites and people have downloaded other peoples tactics and used them to become unbeatable and see their center backs get 15-20 goals a season. I think you should play the game your own way and if you've come across your own way of getting your defender that amount of goals then go ahead. Your the manager so use your own tactics, wheres the fun in using someone elses?

Your job as a football manager is to exploit tactical weaknesses you find in your opposition, is it not?

You are currently doing exactly that, and thus performing your job well.

Short answer: No.

Ok then tell me how many players you have seen in real life score 15+ goals every season from just corners?

No, it isn't cheating. You have a tall player who is good at heading. it is completely logical to use him as you are.

Yes, it is an exploit, but things similar to this happen all the time. Look at Stoke, they have Delap who has an insane throw. They exploit this to get the ball deep into the box and have scored many times from this. You are making use of an advantage to full effect, just like them.

Cheating implies that the user is doing something that they should not be able to, within the rules of the game.

As many have said, it's not cheating- it's a (long, long-standing) weakness in the match engine and AI. Whether you choose to take advantage of it or not is down to you, as ultimately, it's your gaming experience. It's not at all realistic, I'm not sure anyone's claiming it is, but that's not down to the user- only the choice whether to take advantage of it (ie, "exploit") is, and again, it's their gaming experience.

It was one of the hotly-contested points with FML, between users who did/didn't use the corner exploit to get ahead.

Who cares if he's tall? Near post goals are scored uncontested, i.e. the scorer just stands there on the ground and heads it into the goal. No need for tallness or jumping, you only need Heading skill. And that's the problem. In real life the scorer wouldn't be able to stand there all by himself and leisurely score, he'd have to actually win a jumping duel.

Archived