Why does job security reset?

Why does job security reset each season? I was promoted with Burnley before taking on the Arsenal job, and went from 'untouchable' to 'secure' within a day (season reset). I'm pretty sure that Sir Alex Ferguson's job security doesn't deviate from 'untouchable' (IRL), so why should it affect us on the game? It just depreciates the achievements and puts us under undue pressure. Instead of focusing on 'morale', focus on this.

I agree if your at the same club it shouldn't change. But if you move club then it will change. At Burnley you were untouchable because of the success you brought them but at Arsenal you haven't proved yourself at that level.

No, at the same club is reverts from 'Untouchable' to 'Secure' just after the season update. This is why I said 'before taking on the Arsenal job', but maybe the syntax was confusing. If so, I apologise.

Plus think of it the other way round. If you finished the season as job insecure and then started the next season the same, a couple of bad results could mean your sacked without the time to turn it round.

No, at the same club is reverts from 'Untouchable' to 'Secure' just after the season update. This is why I said 'before taking on the Arsenal job', but maybe the syntax was confusing. If so, I apologise.

It's just how SI balances the game, by making it easier to get sacked. It also reflects real life, like how Ancelotti, van Gaal, etc. getting sacked in 2nd season despite successes in their 1st.

Ancelotti achieved a lot but, then again, he was Chelsea manager; so the expectations would be greater than at Burnley (who were predicted 20th place in the PL). It's just annoying that SI 'make it easier' to be sacked, in spite of all the achievements.

One of the major contributors to job security is club stature. If you build a team up from, say, League Two to the Premier League, the club's stature is going to have increased a ton, so you're likely to have a job security of "Secure" or even "Untouchable" even if you have a season where you get relegated.

I knew what you meant, that's why I said I agree it shouldn't change at the same club.

It's just how SI balances the game, by making it easier to get sacked. It also reflects real life, like how Ancelotti, van Gaal, etc. getting sacked in 2nd season despite successes in their 1st.

It doesn't reflect real life at all.

Ancelotti didn't go from untouchable to secure before his second season even started - not meeting expectations during the second season got him sacked. A better example is Mourinho, a man who brought unmatched success to Chelsea. Poor results brought about his downfall, not some pre-meditated decision made in the summer (as the appointment of Grant showed).

And before anybody brings up board conflicts, they aren't modelled in the game to any degree so they are irrelevant in this context (and would make even less sense as a justification, as the downgrading of job security is completely outside of our control no matter how successful a season we have).

I don't think job status should change (drastically) because of an arbitrary change in date. It might change as a result of things like increased targets (i.e. "We finished in the top 4 this season, so next season we should win the title, right?") or finances (i.e. a club suddenly drops into the red, meaning they are more likely to sack their underperforming manager who is on a low salary).

I do think it might "more sharply" change once the season starts and the team gets a few games under their belt, however. Not that I think it should be "sharp"... But "a jolt to the stomach of the directors" once they find out that their rubbish team last season is even worse...

It might change a little based on the fact that the players have had a rest and the slate is "new". However, I'm in two minds whether this is really the case... If a club did poorly last season, then there might be increased pressure as the manager has had the whole pre-season to fix the squad's morale and form, but there might also be decreased pressure as everyone has had a nice long break and everyone's minds are closer to "back on track". After all, when everyone is under pressure, if they take a quick break and look at it when everyone has calmed down, then it all looks a lot less stressful. Although that might not be job status per se, but morale.

I don't think it should change much if a team performed average last season.

I think it should increase if a club overperformed, as there would be increased pressure to keep up the good work... Although, on the flip-side, there might be a huge outpouring of confidence from the board, who might forgive bad results as the manager has proven himself in the past.

I'm tending towards:

- Did poorly last season, low job security => Increased pressure, lower job security

- Did OK last season, OK job security => No change

- Did brilliantly last season, high job security => Decreased pressure, higher job security

I don't think there should be huge changes, unless circumstances change a lot, however.

Note that when I say "OK", I mean "meets expectations", so top clubs with very little upside that remain as top clubs will always have good job security. The reason why it's difficult to be at the top is because you cannot really improve... You can either stay stable, or get a lower job security.

Ancelotti achieved a lot but, then again, he was Chelsea manager; so the expectations would be greater than at Burnley (who were predicted 20th place in the PL). It's just annoying that SI 'make it easier' to be sacked, in spite of all the achievements.

It's all relative then, isn't it? You may have been untouchable in a lower league, but the club has grown and it wants to keep growing like any club would. Just like Chelsea's expectations are higher, with the season reset, Burnley's expectations are now higher. If the expectation was last place, it's still higher than whatever they were in the Championship. And if after half a season in you had lost every game, your job would still be secure. You wouldn't be untouchable by any means. It doesn't mean they don't like you anymore ;) On the other hand, if you were pushing on mid-table, you'd probably be close to untouchable again. It resets because otherwise it's as if the board is wilfully accepting stagnation, and that's silly.

Once you work your way to untoucable, it should take a lot more to get you the sack, ie get QPR into the CL 5 seasons running and you shouldnt get sacked for being 14th after 15 games.

the board should accept stagnation, theres only a certain level a club can reach. Just because you overachieve, it doesnt mean that should become the norm.

Take a look at Charlton to see what happens when the fans and board dont accept that.

I'd probably counter that scenario with, "if you have a team that's made the Champions League 5 years straight you're become a damn top team in the PL making a ton of money, and something has gone very, very wrong from a management perspective if after 5 fantastic seasons you're suddenly two-thirds down the table going into on the xmas fixtures."

Going from a title-challenging, Champions League side for the past half-decade to lower table battlers isn't stagnation, that's regression. You can ask the board for more time, but if nothing improves they'd be right to give you the sack. There are people far more knowledgeable on world football than I, but I can't think of any manager of a successful, consistently title-challenging side that has kept their job after plunging them into lower table mediocrity. You hear people calling for Wenger's head and he gets them CL football every year for the last 80 years! :p

I'd probably counter that scenario with, "if you have a team that's made the Champions League 5 years straight you're become a damn top team in the PL making a ton of money, and something has gone very, very wrong from a management perspective if after 5 fantastic seasons you're suddenly two-thirds down the table going into on the xmas fixtures."

Going from a title-challenging, Champions League side for the past half-decade to lower table battlers isn't stagnation, that's regression. You can ask the board for more time, but if nothing improves they'd be right to give you the sack. There are people far more knowledgeable on world football than I, but I can't think of any manager of a successful, consistently title-challenging side that has kept their job after plunging them into lower table mediocrity. You hear people calling for Wenger's head and he gets them CL football every year for the last 80 years! :p

Taking QPR into the CL inst progressing, its massively overachieving especially if the board wont give you a new stadium. If the board are going to hamstring you, the club will eventually sink down to its correct level.

Look at Blackburn for a real life example, went from champions to relegation fodder.

Doing it the first time is. In your first example above you made no reference to the period of time before that initial achievement occurred. Although I maintain if after the first 4 times you do it once more, it's clear you're consistently in the top 4 teams in the country, regardless, and the expectations should have changed to reflect this.

Archived