Venting - This Game is going in the bin after 19hours!

Never ever have i been so frustrated at trying to install a game, steam keeps crashing, freezing and even freezes trying to install from disk (which is a waste of production cost).

I ve had every champ man / fm and i ll bin this one and never bother again i am so frustrated. Read the FAQ's ... leads to more frustration, cheers SI and goodbye

I have never, ever had a problem with steam. Neither has anybody i know or have spoken to about the service, must be something on your end causing the issues.

I, too, have only had the most minimal of issues with Steam, and I really like it. However, this is hardly helpful when someone's having issues. His ranty approach doesn't exactly engender sympathy, but still, it's a bit like thumbing your nose at a guy when he's down to post stuff like that when he's tearing his hair out.

There are solutions in the FAQ thread for your issue. Check your Anti Virus is not blocking steam. Check you are downloading from your closest steam server etc,

See: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/279162-Football-Manager-2012-*OFFICIAL*-FAQ

done, done, done .... honest... it might be cause lots of people are using after getting for xmas, and admittedly my internet isnt the best but this is ****, utter and pure ****

can you trade this in places? ... not joking i ve had every fm / cm since the start on the amiga ... and i wont buy another because of the sheer frustration and time of this game. Lots of people have had these problems when you google it... says it all to me

cheers mate, i ve honestly given up... i finally got steam to work... and its claiming 13 hours for a download... cant now do it from disk because steam has activation code seemingly... give up.... utter waste of money

I don't know if this would help but it might be worth checking the steam forums (http://forums.steampowered.com) if you can't find anything on SI's FAQ. If it's a steam-specific problem, there might be other advice on that forum. I don't think the steam activation code means that the game installs from the internet, only that you have to activate it via steam. When I inserted the activation code my game installed off the disk, then downloaded the latest update from Steam, as would be expected.

• Administrators

Really sorry to hear about the problems you're having - there is a section in our own FAQ linked at the top of the forum related to slow downloads and potentially changing servers. It may also be related to your own anti-virus - what program are you running?

I too had many issues last night trying to activate the game and install it - drove me bloody mad! I finally managed to get it to work after uninstalling it numerous times and so far I have had no issues with crashes etc.

I personally never buy games through steam and will always get the DVD version of the game due to the issues mentioned above. To have to go through all this frustration is simply rediculous when i have the darn DVD in my possession and all i want to do is insert DVD, press install and within a short period of time i am playing the game. it took me an hour of messing around last night (my Nephew did not have the same problems as me but his game took two hours to install (thankfully mine finally took about 30 minutes) before I was able to start to play the game.

Not good enough in my opinion.

I don't have antivirus and I've never gotten a virus. You have to be pretty dumb to let an .exe run without you knowing what it is.

Countless people more knowledgable than me about computers run antivirus software. And it's pretty much received wisdom that you're at risk without one. But congratulations on your good fortune so far.

Steam saying it is too busy to process your request doesn't actually mean their servers are too busy to process your request. I have found out that the steam error responses are completely nonsensical and that any and all problems getting it or FM to run is down to the computer you are running it on.

My tip is.. check your drivers. The video card, the audio card, the wifi card. Windows Defender must be turned off. Stuff like that.

You'd also have to be dumb to think that's the only way for a computer to get infected.

I'm not saying that's the only way to get infected, but that is how most viruses are transmitted, you open something, click on something, and modern windows warns you that you are running an executable even if you don't know it. I'm saying if you have a modern pc with basic computer knowledge you don't need it. I haven't run anti-virus for years and I've never had a single problem. Having Symantec installed was as annoying as a virus.

it is finally installed... i would guess 15th attempt of uninstalling and installing over and over.... steam managed to keep a connection the whole time and wasnt too busy. Just for the wise crackers i didnt do anything to antivirus, video card, settings ... nothing... just had to extend my patience with steam, must be a better way next year or i for one will not be bothering

I'm not all that technically knowledgeable on how to fix problematic issues, but I get by. I bought a game unrelated to FM and I couldn't play it because some error kept popping up at launch. I wrote to Nvidia and to the game makers with the problematic issue. Neither of their tech support could figure out what was causing the issue and I was told basically "tough". So I investigated the problem myself, and found an older version of a *.dll file and replaced that and now the game works perfectly.

Most tech support don't really know what the issue is. They basically have as script in front of them and if it doesn't work then tough.

This is so different from Steam and FM. Any issue I've had I was able to get a response and a fix and nobody from Steam or FM have ever told me "tough", or "we don't have a fix for you".

I think the Support from SI/Sega and Steam has been absolutely immense in getting the game to work, along with a huge community of followers who are willing to help out. This sort of support apparently doesn't exist outside of SI/Sega or Steam. I was literally at my wits end with Nividia and the makers of the game that I bought.

I was just about to print out tech support emails and bring them up to the shop as evidence that the game wouldn't work on my system.

I appreciate how people can be upset with Steam and/or SI/Sega but sometimes it's just not their fault that a computer won't run the software, whether it's anti-virus, or video cards, or whatever the issue is. At least Steam, SI and Sega are willing to sit through the problems with the end user and eventually get it working.

Troubleshooting a problem isn't easy and I thoroughly thank SI and Sega, along with Steam, for all their patience with users that had issues. I for one cannot wait for the next installation of FM. I'll be buying FM above any other game year in and year out and it's all thanks to the fantastic support and the likes of this forum that actually make it worthwhile to buy the game. I've already said to myself that I'll just buy other games I want to play for my PS3.

I'm just saying if you think Steam and SI/Sega are bad, or their support is bad, wait til you have to deal with others. I cannot fault Steam, SI or Sega in the immense support they give to the end user.

There is a point in this thread that was kinda glossed over, though- if you are going online to activate, it sounds like the game is automatically downloading the updates when doing that. I can see how on a poor connection that would be very annoying.

And yes, I know about disabling auto-updates- but it is set to download them by default, so a user only going online to activate wouldn't get the choice- and, once they started, couldn't play their game until the doenloads had finished. Not great.

I think automatic updates are not a good idea. The user should have a choice if they want to download an update or not. I think the way it's currently implemented is not very good, and I hope it's changed in the future.

Good point Eugene. They really are doing their best. As long as you have a good internet connection you shouldn't have frequent problems with steam (except for the occasional can't connect to steam due to servers down - happened once to me so far I think).

You are right about the patches too, but I don't think this is the place for that. I am sure many users have made at least SI aware that they don't like the current set-up. Whether they can do something, I don't know.

I'm not saying that's the only way to get infected, but that is how most viruses are transmitted, you open something, click on something, and modern windows warns you that you are running an executable even if you don't know it. I'm saying if you have a modern pc with basic computer knowledge you don't need it. I haven't run anti-virus for years and I've never had a single problem.

Erm, how do you know your PC is not full of Spyware, Adware and Malware you picked up completely unnoticed just by browsing the web, firing up your browser, openint Outlook, doing whatever when you don't have a programm that checks up on it? How would you know you are being spied upon by a Trojan if you don't employ any software to guard you? Just because you don't notice anything interfering doesn't mean you're clean. Anybody with basic computer knowledge employs virus protection software for a reason.

Erm, how do you know your PC is not full of Spyware, Adware and Malware you picked up completely unnoticed just by browsing the web, firing up your browser, openint Outlook, doing whatever when you don't have a programm that checks up on it? How would you know you are being spied upon by a Trojan if you don't employ any software to guard you? Just because you don't notice anything interfering doesn't mean you're clean. Anybody with basic computer knowledge employs virus protection software for a reason.
I don't... I just rely on sandboxing.

Either way, most viruses nowadays aren't transmitted by users executing an executable... "Email virus" vectors are rather redundant nowadays. Most modern exploits target weaknesses in software.

There is a point in this thread that was kinda glossed over, though- if you are going online to activate, it sounds like the game is automatically downloading the updates when doing that. I can see how on a poor connection that would be very annoying.

And yes, I know about disabling auto-updates- but it is set to download them by default, so a user only going online to activate wouldn't get the choice- and, once they started, couldn't play their game until the doenloads had finished. Not great.

<---- this! the game itself was getting downloaded, then trying to update was crashing and corrupting the game which i was trying to install. At the minute my internet is goosed and runs super slow which explained the time scale, however at least 50 errors during the downloading occured! ... again, i made no changed to settings, anti virus etc, nothing.... it was a long winded annoying frustrating process that needs sorting for the next one!

It is not the best, I couldn't get the game to install from disk and had to download it which took hours, I have had a few 'busy non starts' and sometimes it refuses as steam is already running (when it isn't).

I can totally understand why SI want to protect their sales and if steam is the best way so be it, I would have been happier though to send SI a copy of my proof of purchase and not have to go near steam at all, I'd be interested to know why this isn't an option - perhaps it is!

The only problem I have ever had with steam is the message 'steam is currently to busy' or whatever it says. Thats in 3 years of using it. However I can see how it can be frustrating when you can't play the game :thdn:

Archived