Lower Leagues..How one player can make the rest seem crap.

Well I wouldn't say its a rant...but it is a bit of an annoyance.

During my save with the mighty Caldicott in the Welsh League Division 2. I viewed my team report and saw I had a decent 3 - 5 star squad apart from my DR position which was a grey 5 star, so I duly went on a search for a new DR, found one and signed him but then to my dismay my 5 star players are now 3 stars and my 3 star player now 1 star.

So is annoying when you think you have a decent team then one player makes them seem crap

I believe that the team report measures your players against each other, not against the opposition. So, after bringing in a new star player, the rest of the squad may look weaker by comparison.

This. The star rating is relative, mostly to your own team it would seem. I'm playing a network game with my brother. We both started out in League 1 (me Charlton, him Huddersfield), and we both got promoted in the first season. At the start of the second season I managed to strengthen my squad with lots of cheap and free players, whereas he went for a couple of big signings (each of which was 4 and a half stars), using the money his chairman gave him. What this meant is that his team as a whole had stayed around the same quality, but mine had improved drastically as a whole. As a result of this, I had a player who had 4 stars the previous season, and had actually improved since then, but was now given 3 stars (though the description of his ideal level being a "good Championship player" remained the same, which is one clue as to how the star rating itself is relative to your team), and was now my fourth-choice CM. So I loaned him to my brother for a few months, where he had 4 stars again. When the player came back to me, once again he was three stars.

In other words, like AytchMan says, the star rating seems to be relative to your own team, and as such I always find it quite encouraging when I see all my players drop down half a star or so, because it suggests to me that the overall quality of my team has improved.

Agree with above, and you can indirectly compare your team with others, by scouting another team, then scouting one of their 4 star players from the team report for example, and seeing what rating his is, against your players in the scout report. (Incidentally I asked basically the same question as the OP once before)

I know its good having the better player. It just one of those things I know my team is strong in the league its in hence them having 5 star ratings and the new player is at the next level (i.e. above my league).

It's great seeing your team full of 5 star players so you need one more to make the full 11 5 star, you scout him the scout tells you he's 5 stars, you bid, he accepts, he walks into the door and instantly becomes the only 5 star play. Just kinds of hits you in the stomach because you have to replace 10 players now instead of the one before.

I know the stars are relative to your squad but I thought season expectations played an even bigger role, that is if you set your expectations to mid table finish one season and title challange the next the star rating of individual players would drop.

Hmm, that didn't come out clearly, I'll try again.

I thought star ratings were relative to season expectations, that is to say, how capable a player is at compleating the task you set before him (i.e. the same player in the same squad would be, say, a two star player if your expectation is getting promoted/winning but a 4 star if you ar fending of relegation.(not that simple though as I know other players in the squad play a part aswell)). Am I wrong in thinking this?

This would explain why there are no five star players in a world class team, as there are no players "better" then that level of football, but you could easily have 5 or 10 five star players when aiming at a promotion from a lower league. Surely, if it only went by the players at your disposal there would always be a few far better then the rest, that would therefor get five stars, but when your goals get high enough that stops heppening. Not even Messi or Ronaldo are 5 star players when your aim is to win the english premier league.

Archived