Favourite Formation

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I too am in the Mike Bassett school. 4-4-F-2.

In real life I ****ing HATE 3-5-2, most specifically the idea of 'wing-backs'... it's an impossible position to ask someone to play.

However, after 2 seasons of unbroken 4-4-F-2 in FMH I found myself recently playing 3-5-2. The reason was that I have a creative central midfielder who is a total liability in terms of marking/tackling etc, so I wanted an extra central midfielder in there.

The 3-5-2 has been working very well, particularly since I began sending the team out with an attacking mentality. I don't ask my wide midfielders to act as wing-backs though. They're wide midfielders, and the three centre-backs just have to deal with the space in behind them :-)

im not sure whether mine is actually called the 3-5-2 or a 3-4-1-2

in anycase, it's the "attacking" version where the 2 outside mids have forward run arrows and an AMC plays behind 2 forwards

this, obviously, is not what one would consider a "conservative" play style, but i adopted it as my CON side rose through the divisions because my players were always overmatched in terms of skill, especially in defense and goal

so, if you know you can't contain Johnny Fortygoals who's payroll equals your entire team's, i decided the next best thing is to just attack relentlessly and try and overwhelm the other team

in other words, attacking 3-5-2, short passes, attacking mindset, offside trap, pressing, counter attacks, etc.

the only thing you *don't* do is get men behind the ball, because that tends to neuter the offense

the two outside mids are just regular mids, if you can find good ones, because they generally can tackle better than AMs, and the 2 center mids are preferably AMCs

it's also a nice bonus to have a sweeper as the center DC, but good sweepers are few and far between in this game

anyhow, yes, i admit it, my team is soft on defense, but when ol' Grays Athletic beats Arsenal 4-2 in a barn stormer you know the fans are happy... icon14.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Archived