GD trivia funtime!

Considering it is the season, why not have a bit of football trivia? For the sake of fun I'd suggest people actually try and answer the questions asked without the internet, but hey... We'll just have to be honest. I'd suggest the person who gets the previous question right gets to ask the next question... Anyone game? Here's one to start us off:

Ferenc Puskas, considered one of the greatest strikers of all time, scored 156 goals in 180 La Liga matches for Real Madrid. At what age did he join them?

Dwight Yorke of course, the only marquee player (if I am not mistaken) to play in the Premier League both before and after playing in the A-league.

So, here's a hard one:

Ferenc Puskas, considered one of the greatest strikers of all time, scored 156 goals in 180 La Liga matches for Real Madrid. At what age did he join them?

Dwight Yorke of course, the only marquee player (if I am not mistaken) to play in the Premier League both before and after playing in the A-league.

So, here's a hard one:

Correct and Correct, as for Puskas, I have no idea...

The New Zealand Knights (the single worst side I have ever seen) and the North Queensland Fury (sadly taken from us when they could have become a great part of the league).

Here's one:

In the 2006-07 season, despite having a terrible time midseason, new coach Frank Farina gave Queensland Roar (now Brisbane Roar) a new lease of life. At the end of the season Queensland needed to win their last match of the season against Sydney to make the finals, the match ended 1-1. Damien Mori scored the equaliser for Brisbane, but which former Queensland player scored the opener of the match and ultimately ruined Queensland's hopes of a first final's series?

]The New Zealand Knights (the single worst side I have ever seen)[/b] and the North Queensland Fury (sadly taken from us when they could have become a great part of the league).

Here's one:

In the 2006-07 season' date=' despite having a terrible time midseason, new coach Frank Farina gave Queensland Roar (now Brisbane Roar) a new lease of life. At the end of the season Queensland needed to win their last match of the season against Sydney to make the finals, the match ended 1-1. Damien Mori scored the equaliser for Brisbane, but which former Queensland player scored the opener of the match and ultimately ruined Queensland's hopes of a first final's series?[/quote']

Agreed! And I won't answer this question because we both follow the A-League... I think this has to be the last A-League question!

Saw this dying and looked it up to be able to continue tbh :(

But now let's move on to Germany for a nice story.

The fierce rivalry between Dortmund and Schalke is probably Germany's most important one, despite the clubs having had very good relations in the early days, some 100 years ago.

In 1969 the rivalry became even more fierce as something so far unparalleled in German Bundesliga times happened in the Dortmund vs Schalke tie. Schalke defender Friedel Rausch was severly bitten in his butt by a police dog that stood at the side of the pitch and was allegedly inflamed by a Dortmund supporting policeman (see http://www.stan-libuda.de/hundebiss.jpg) and needed lots of medical attention before being able to finish the game under a lot of pain.

For the 2nd meeting of that season at Schalke, Schalke took their revenge on the Dortmund players who remarkably were not too intimidated to still snatch a 1-1 draw.

What did Schalke choose to be its revenge?

Hmm, this one seems to have been to hard :(

Thought it would be a bit better known, not just in Germany, but around the world.

Schalke went to a nearby zoo and placed their lions (!) alongside the pitch. All went well of course.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-tIJCip6tGOw/TrllQUoj9yI/AAAAAAAAAwc/y8LzPIi5WOM/2011-11-08%2B18.18.28.jpg

(the pic actually shows the Dortmund players surrounding the lion with smiley faces

Hmm, this one seems to have been to hard :(

Thought it would be a bit better known, not just in Germany, but around the world.

Schalke went to a nearby zoo and placed their lions (!) alongside the pitch. All went well of course.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-tIJCip6tGOw/TrllQUoj9yI/AAAAAAAAAwc/y8LzPIi5WOM/2011-11-08%2B18.18.28.jpg

(the pic actually shows the Dortmund players surrounding the lion with smiley faces

That story is class, and the picture is brilliant! When I was in Germany I always felt a soft spot for both these sides (which everyone there thought was crazy) but never knew of this story! Thanks for that mate!

Not sure if there is already a question, but jayahr seems to have revealed his answer.

Havant and Waterlooville played Liverpool in the fourth round of the F.A. cup in the 07/08 season. The game finished 5-2 to Liverpool, but Havant took the lead twice. Richard Pacquette and Alfie Potter scored for Havant. Peter Crouch and Lucas Leiva scored single goals for Liverpool.

Which player scored a hat-trick for Liverpool in that game? Another question linked to this... Who did Havant beat in the previous round following a 4-2 win in a replay at Westleigh Park?

Archived