Game just updated again

There's an option for every game you have on Steam called 'keep this game up to date'. I guess if you untick it, your game won't get updated.

This doesn't work, people who had it unticked, still got the game updated by Steam. :thup:

Your safest bet, is to keep Steam in offline mode.

I thought Steam forced you to update even if you were in offline mode? Not sure how it would, but... I had heard that it did.

I'm not sure, I've heard that Steam forces you to update, even if you have updates unticked.

But I think it's okay whilst it's in offline mode, because it's like Steam is not connected to the internet, and it won't update. [so long as it's kept in offline mode]

But as soon as you turn Steam back to online mode, it will search for all the latest updates. :thup:

I can never figure why anyone would not want to patch a game, unless they were exploiting a weakness of a previous patch.. which in my mind is too close to cheating if everyone else has moved up a patch.

I love steam's self updating feature, the thing I hated most pre steam was either downloading patches that usually were unreliable or tricky to install. Failing that they were huge and took ages to download, often failing meaning multiple attempts! Worse than that was finding a flaw in the game and not finding a patch or finding one that doesnt fix it!

I really do not miss the pre steam days at all.

I can never figure why anyone would not want to patch a game, unless they were exploiting a weakness of a previous patch.. which in my mind is too close to cheating if everyone else has moved up a patch.

I love steam's self updating feature, the thing I hated most pre steam was either downloading patches that usually were unreliable or tricky to install. Failing that they were huge and took ages to download, often failing meaning multiple attempts! Worse than that was finding a flaw in the game and not finding a patch or finding one that doesnt fix it!

I really do not miss the pre steam days at all.

We will talk again when you first get your message "the game is currently not available" after updating :)

Only Steam problem I've ever had is "The game is currently unavailable. Please try again later", which drives me a little nuts. What do you mean the game is unavailable? I wasn't aware it could pick and choose when it felt like being played! But yeah, I've always sorted it with a quick validation of the cache. I'm pretty positive about Steam. I don't play any game other than FM and, for me, Steam makes life so much easier.

We will talk again when you first get your message "the game is currently not available" after updating :)

Not been a problem for me, I usually just pop off and play pool in my browser for a bit or do something else while I validate the install or reinstall from a backup, my PC always needs some kind of tweaking or tuning to be done.

I am a huge supporter of steam and how much easier it and more fun it has made my gaming life! Anything, even a short period of downtime in a game that is usually fixed by some easy method in steam. The widely underused backup feature would solve many problems for faulty updates!

Only Steam problem I've ever had is "The game is currently unavailable. Please try again later", which drives me a little nuts. What do you mean the game is unavailable? I wasn't aware it could pick and choose when it felt like being played! But yeah, I've always sorted it with a quick validation of the cache. I'm pretty positive about Steam. I don't play any game other than FM and, for me, Steam makes life so much easier.

i find validating the cache works for multiple problems! i had my first constant crash with Deus Ex: HR the other day. kept crashing when loading any of my incremental saves, so i verified the cache and it works.

I've been getting an absolute joke amount of injuries and for sustained amounts of time too. Every week someone is out for 4/5 weeks or 5/6 months. Getting a lot of injuries during the games too. Anybody else find this? It's only just started.

I've been getting an absolute joke amount of injuries and for sustained amounts of time too. Every week someone is out for 4/5 weeks or 5/6 months. Getting a lot of injuries during the games too. Anybody else find this? It's only just started.

I wish this would happen to me! I hate having to leave out players I like because I can't get them into my team. An injury crisis would be nice.

And? What does it matter if someone is "cheating" by your definition? Is it a crime? Why do you care if someone has more fun by cheating? Anyway to help you understand, here are some reasons one might not want to update their game (or downgrade it afterwards):

-Changes gameplay in a way that is negative to the user's enjoyment

-Removes features/adds unwanted features

-Introduces new bugs

-Makes the game slower, more unstable, or unable to work at all

-Renders the game incompatible with 3rd party utilities (FMRTE, Geniescout etc.)

-Slow download speed/out of bandwidth/inconsistent internet/costly internet

-Having to pay

-Not wanting to wait to play/don't have time right now

There are others obviously but those are just things that have happened to me personally throughout my gaming history.

Archived