And now the news - changes needed?

One thing that's really started bothering me in my recent game is the insane amount of pointless news that pops up in my inbox, especially around the end of the year. In the run-up to Christmas I had literally hundreds of news items about the Ballon d'Or trophy and then huge numbers of messages about players being offered new deals, along with all the other general news. It wasn't uncommon to see 100+ items in my inbox at the start of each new day.

I think this is far too many, especially when so many are repeating the same thing. For example, at one point I had around 50 messages saying "Player X has been offered a new deal", all at the same time. Why not condense that into one message like you do with players whose contracts are coming to an end? Also, after the 100th message saying "Manager X thinks Messi could win Ballon d'Or" I start to get a little annoyed. That's hardly newsworthy anyway, is it? Messi and Ronaldo are always the favourites for the award so why keep telling me?

Yes, I know I can unsubscribe but that brings me to my next point. The game seems to subscribe me to anything I click on. It's nice being subscibed to the news for the competition I'm in but I'm really not that interested any more if I get promoted so why, if it automatically subscribes me in the first place, does it not unsubscribe me when it's no longer relevant?

A rethink may be required in ordert o reduce the amount of news that's automatically subscribed to. Perhaps the simplest solution would be a "daily digest" approach. So if dozens of similar things are happening or dozens of similar comments are being made, combine them into one article. For example, instead of dozens of messages about Messi and the Ballon d'Or give me one every week saying "Messi looks like certainty for title" or something to that effect.

Anyone else bothered by this, or is it just me?

You get an option at the start of each season to review your subscriptions, which is well worth checking. You can also make sure your shortlist is kept fairly empty and anyone on there will be subscribed to as well.

Personally I remove all subscriptions and just make a point of looking up the stuff I'm interested in. There's no doubt I'm missing out on a lot of news but it does make it a lot quicker to play.

Yes agree you have to be ruthless with subscriptions.

Wish you could do some kind of filtering with the backroom meeting, I'm fed up with my ass-man telling me player x is not suitable for corners/free kicks, or player y is not happy with his training....arrrgghhh, every meeting....change the record!!

I know you can change your subscriptions. I suppose the point I'm making is I wish there was a halfway house between a deluge of pointless news and none. The other problem is that some of this, like players being offered new deals, is news I do actually want, I just don't want 50 messages all telling me the same thing on the same day about different players. I think there's the possibility of doing some streamlining so you don't have to unsubscribe.

If I unsubscribe from something it should be because I don't want any news on it, not because I've become annoyed at the amount of news I am getting.

I know you can change your subscriptions. I suppose the point I'm making is I wish there was a halfway house between a deluge of pointless news and none. The other problem is that some of this, like players being offered new deals, is news I do actually want, I just don't want 50 messages all telling me the same thing on the same day about different players. I think there's the possibility of doing some streamlining so you don't have to unsubscribe.

If I unsubscribe from something it should be because I don't want any news on it, not because I've become annoyed at the amount of news I am getting.

Unsubscribe those on the short-list you don't want to get news items from then.

Archived