Defending Corners & Set-pieces

So this is just a little rant after playing the game collectively for over 400 hours since release. First of all i've played every FM to date back all the way back to CM, I enjoy these games alot but this year it is really starting to irritate me. You can guess from the title what I am referring to, yes that's right, defending corners and set-pieces. Why is it that 90% of the goals I concede, no matter what team I play with, using every possible combination of defending them including using the defensive positioning focus, defending set-piece focus, using 6'8" defenders, bringing everybody back, nothing makes a difference? i've even gone as far as to save before a match, play the same match 50 times yet still concede in the same way with different combinations? It's an absolute joke and it's driving me insane. Am I missing something? I doubt it, i've tried everything and nothing seems to work. I am pretty decent at making good defensive tactics, I rarely concede from open play, should I open up my defense and let the oposition score this way to avoid conceding goals from corners and set-pieces? Who knows.

Maybe some of you fine people here can shed some light on this and how you feel about this years release and the issues i'm having with the game? :(

i think i only suffered two or three goals from set pieces in my past season,haven't even put much thought into it,i just tell everyone to go back in mine(tough i play with a top side,if you play with a side that relies on counter attack than it might not be the best solution),i also have giants in my team

maybe one of the things is that if you play with a deep defensive line the other teams might not see a solution to break your defence so they'll try long shots, plus they'll have more space between your midfield and your defence to try long shots that will force your keeper to concede more corners

still i think that too many goals come from corners,and mainly too many of them come from centre backs,i think the only guys to score from corners besides my centre backs was my DMC who must've scored something like 3 goals from corners and my ST who scored after the keeper saved a header from my centre back

I've heard that corners are less of a problem since 12.1. I wouldn't know because I don't concede that many anyway. ~4 per season, out of 50 goals in total.

Here's how I did it, using a wide diamond formation:

2 x DC - mark tall, DRL - man mark, DM near post, strong ST far post, fast ST edge of area, AMC, ML & MR go back.

Since you've already tried everything, I expect it didn't work for you.

So, as stopping goals from corners/set pieces seems fairly hard to do... Have you tried stopping corners and free-kicks being given away in the first place? Tone down the defensive tackling, try and keep them more central so they don't get those rebounds off the fullbacks. I know its not fixing the problem itself, but if you have already tried everything to stop the goals, limit the source instead.

I've heard that corners are less of a problem since 12.1. I wouldn't know because I don't concede that many anyway. ~4 per season, out of 50 goals in total.

Here's how I did it, using a wide diamond formation:

2 x DC - mark tall, DRL - man mark, DM near post, strong ST far post, fast ST edge of area, AMC, ML & MR go back.

Since you've already tried everything, I expect it didn't work for you.

Hmmmm.... DM near post and ST far post....

I'll give it a try later.

Amc on the edge of the area and a fast striker staying forward is what i've found most effective if the cpu doesn't score for quick counter attacks, scored a few too.

So, as stopping goals from corners/set pieces seems fairly hard to do... Have you tried stopping corners and free-kicks being given away in the first place? Tone down the defensive tackling, try and keep them more central so they don't get those rebounds off the fullbacks. I know its not fixing the problem itself, but if you have already tried everything to stop the goals, limit the source instead.

Aye, this is probably what I am doing wrong.

Archived