UEFA Coefficients Explained - How exactly do they work?

Co-efficients are the bain of my life :D

Despite winning the Europa League with Basel in 2012 and 2013 and reaching the European Cup Semi Final in 2014, the other Swiss teams are a collective pile of poop, so our co-efficient for Switzerland isn't going anywhere.

The Turkish, Greek, Russian and Ukranians can field 2-4 good teams in Europe so collectively, they always out-do us :(

Interesting read!

But how are the points each team start out with calculated? You know, every team (also those that haven't qualified for Europe) get a certain amount of points to start with depending on league I presume...

The club coefficients is 20% of the nation coefficient, plus whatever the club earns for itself that season. However, a team doesn't earn any club coefficient for any result in the qualifying rounds, except for the points they earn for getting knocked out at certain rounds which is:

0.25 Euro League Round 1

0.5 Euro League Round 2

1.0 Euro League Round 3

1.5 Euro League Round 4

0.5 Champions League Round 1

1.0 Champions League Round 2

No points given for being knocked out in Champions League round 3 and 4 since the team moves to the Euro League instead of being knocked out.

One thing I am curious about though, is if the coefficients is calculated for the year after in the game as its supposed to be. For example, the results in 2011-12 is only supposed to affect the coefficient for the 2013-14 season not the 2012-13 season, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I don't particularly mind since its easier to calculate but was just curious if other people saw differently

Archived