is it me or have transfer budgets gone abit overboard

newcastle have turned into new chelsea on mine buying players left right and center,they bought lucho gonzalez for 10m which i thought woz a tad unrealistic hes usely about 15m at least also dout he'd join newcastle,think they spent about 40m in total

newcastle have turned into new chelsea on mine buying players left right and center,they bought lucho gonzalez for 10m which i thought woz a tad unrealistic hes usely about 15m at least also dout he'd join newcastle,think they spent about 40m in total

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by metropolistechnique:

It is well known that Mike Ashley is 'well off'. Newcastle's transfer budget should be very large. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, isn't he a Billionaire who owns a big Sports store range or something like that?

(Or at least a multi-multi-multi-multi (bastard) millionaire)

i agree with u all but just because a club as a very rich manager dose't mean there guna get millions and millions to spend,w all know newcastle are in desperate need of players so why did't they spend in january

also look at QPR they have 1 of richist chairman in world dont they and they have't been given millions yes i know there in championship and its hard to get star players to join that division but u throw enough money at someone and u would be suprised who they would join

besides all this i woz't really moaning about game i just thought certain transfer budgets are too high

QPR signed loads of players in January, but they did it sensibly, buying players to move them forward from the position they were in. Probably half of those or more will be discarded for next seaosn if QPR are going for a promotion push.

As for Newcastle, January is not a good time for signing key players. Bringing in players who are no better than what you already have is not much use. Who knows how much money Keegan actually had available to spend?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by metropolistechnique:

My guess is just that SI predicted at the time that Mike Ashley wuld be making a lot of money available to spend, which Ashley has practically said he would.

It's a surprise to some that Newcastle have not splashed out, as pretty much every player on earth was linked to them once Kev was back. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

6 points off relegation, a 6-0 humbling agaisnt Man Utd and a set of players who just haven't cut the mustard. All this may have forced the village idiots hand, no-one wanted to sign for them.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by turn it upto 11:

on my game fisrt season sunderland spent about 40 million in january, on about 3 players, i wouldnt have thought anyone worth about 15million would go to a relegation candidate. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A lot of people have said this may be a bug but I think it is true to life as if you've got it to spend, people will ask for it.

If Sunderland have 40m to spend then it stands to reason that someone selling a 5m player will try and milk every penny they can for him. Look at SWP for example at Chelsea, he was never a £24m player but Man City knew Chelsea had the cash and so could afford to pay over the odds.

I think this has an effect in the game i.e as Bayern I had 100m to spend, bid up to 20m for Huntelaar but they kept asking for 40m, Porto came in with a far smaller budget and they accepted 15m.

QPR signed afew glamdring mate not loads and if u add up wot they spent probley dose't even break 2m,and as for newcastle its no secrect they need plenty of new players and january woz perfect time for them to strenghten there team yet they did not and probley reason why they are still struggling makes no diffrence if its january august or wotever if you need new players which newcastle do then u buy or at least try it mite be too late at end of season

im not disputeing owt any 1 says its just a freindly debate

i just think transfer budgets maybe slightly high for certain teams thats all,ive just seen afew unrealistic transfers since installing new 8.0.2 patch

on a whole vo i love new patch

Depends how you define "few" or "loads". Compared to most teams QPR signed loads, although I can't be bothered taking the time trying to find a website which lists all the transfers in.

As for signing players in January, of course it makes a difference - far fewer players are going to want to move to a club in January and far fewer clubs are willing to sell good players half way through the season. You seem to be arguing against your own point anyway - now what you are saying is that the game is realistic and real life was unrealistic!

Whils t I agree that some transfers are a little OTT in the game, surely this is mirrored from real life. Even bit part league one players lately seem to be going for daft money.

Billy sharp, David Nugent as just 2 examples of way over priced players being bought recently.

I think overall in the world in general, players valuations and what clubs accept and offer for them is getting silly.

so wot u saying glamdring newcastle should wait till summer to sign new players better yet really good players cos thats wot they need but there is the little possible fact they could get relegated yet they had january to at least try buy to help them out like alot of other teams have

as for QPR they signed 5 players i think not loads is it some of the players they signed wher already there on loan likes of rowan vine

and maviarab all my point is i think certain teams have a little too much money,this is only my view not an arguement to any 1

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">all my point is i think certain teams have a little too much money </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would agree to a fair point there wally, both in game and in real life. I mean with all the debt say Liverpol and Man U have, how is it they can still pay out 25+ million for players etc ?

Mirrored perfectly in the game to me. Though it does make you wonder at times where all this 'cash' appears from.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">so wot u saying glamdring newcastle should wait till summer to sign new players better yet really good players cos thats wot they need </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Forgot to add that. I personally think Newcastle did the right thing. Panic buying is never a good thing, and statistically, January transfers are not seen to be very good business since the inception of that window. I think the success rate statistically for 'good signings' is about 18% or somehting daft like that (would need to check for an accurate figure) where as its much higher for summer signings.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wally13:

so wot u saying glamdring newcastle should wait till summer to sign new players better yet really good players cos thats wot they need but there is the little possible fact they could get relegated yet they had january to at least try buy to help them out like alot of other teams have

as for QPR they signed 5 players i think not loads is it some of the players they signed wher already there on loan likes of rowan vine

and maviarab all my point is i think certain teams have a little too much money,this is only my view not an arguement to any 1 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I count making loan signings permanent as a new signing icon_razz.gif

I didn't say I thought Newcastle should sign no-one, just that it is difficult to find players who will improve the squad in January. Keegan tried to sign Woodgate, but failed. How many other players he tried to sign, but wasn't able to who knows? My point isn't specfic to Newcastle anyway, your original point was that Newcastle are spending too much in game and that is unrealistic.

yes but like i said mav summer mite be too late to spend for newcastle if they get relegated which come on is't impossible no matter how big a club they are,im a leeds fan and look at us now cercumstances mite be diffrent but u know wot i mean dont u,dose't matter how big club is if yor **** you go down and thats that,im just shock newcastle did't at least bring 1 or 2 in they did't have to spend billions just tighten up abit at back

I'm sure that if Keegan could have got the players he wanted the money would have been there quite easily for him. And yes, Newcastle are in real danger of going down, you seen their remaining fixtures? not pretty if your a fan is all I can say. And look at Man City too as an example of a fall from grace.

Also a problem Keegan would have had, is that to any player of real quality, Newcastle appear to be a club in free fall, would you agree to go there? And to add something else, Keegan has been out of the game for a while, has little current knowledge of european football, and there have been so many different appointments at the club recently (Dennis Wise as DoF?) it makes you wonder who is actually running the place...

So yes relegation is a very real threat, but still think he did right thing in not bringing in panic buy players that would be no better than he has already. Subjective point though, good discussion.

yes good discussion,like i say i love game and so far have't had problems with patch unlike alot of others,

just quickly going back to transfer thing it would of been nice maybe if si could of maybe lowered clubs rep abit cos like i say newcastle signed lucho gonzalez on my for 10.5m and hes worth more than that and i dout he'd join newcastle well at moment anyway

No problems here too, but I'm happy to spend hours pouring overm my tactics (not just formation), analysing my team talks, ensuring morale is high and a multitude of other things. As I said in a different thread, FM08 is no longer a pick up and click and play game, its far more complex now which suits me perfectly as I have plenty of time on my hands at the moment.

As for Gonzalez yeah I have to agree with you there, but such is the beauty that is football and FM icon_biggrin.gif

Newcastle still have a reputation that is well disproportionate to their success (or lack thereof) and with money behind them and Keegan's reputation who knows who Newcastle will attract in the summer (sure some people think he's a bad manager, but others think he is an inspirational manager who they would love to play for - since he doesn't want to sign "everybody" the ones who don't want to come are irrelevant). The point is FM08 has to try to imagine what will happen and what will be realistic in the future not just now because people play the game for tens of seasons.

It may well be that in summer, if Newcastle stay up which is far from a foregone conclusion, they will still struggle to attract big names - the people putting the attributes into the game now though have to make a judgement that may be right or wrong.

Just look at Derby in real life - appalling this season yet the American backers are making all the right noises about bouncing back and being contenders in the future. How do you implement that in a game that gets its information fixed now - it may turn out to all be hot air or they could become the new Chelsea in years to come. Most likely somewhere inbetween along with the plethora of other clubs that are now millionaire's playgrounds.

It is well known that Mike Ashley is 'well off'. Newcastle's transfer budget should be very large. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Its also well know he is tight as fook and is desperate to offload Newcastle asap.

And if you think Gonzalez was bad.,..check this one out.

For an amibitios player with offers from Bayern, Valancia, Marseille, Arsenal, Porta AND PSV he opted for....

Derby who sat 16th in the EPL at the time for 50k a week...crazy world icon_biggrin.gif

Dia at Derby

From Dia's perspective, Derby were probably the only one offering those kind of wages and maybe the only ones offering him key player status. Plus if they get relegated he can no doubt move elsewhere and leave Derby to sink further without him.

Players like Ravanelli have moved to Derby in the past, although admittedly he was at the wrong end of his career and was pretty useless.

No prblem wally, happy to help. Despite it being a 'dark' skin, I stil think its the cleanets looking and most uncluttered one out there.

And as for daft transfers. Its football, even in real life strange things happen weekly. I just laugh it off most of the time and as long as it doesnt directly affect me don't worry about it heh

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wally13:

and maviarab all my point is i think certain teams have a little too much money,this is only my view not an arguement to any 1 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Im a QPR fan and we signed 8 players for £5-6m and that was to see us safe. We will spend at least that in the summer too and youll probably see at least £20m spent in our 1st season if we get promoted.

Archived