Manager Retirement Age. What do you think??

Hello all,

A bit of background into why I have thought of this. After my motherboard decided it was time to pack in, I lost everything on my computer so had to reinstall everything, which in turn I had to start a new game on FM12.

When adding a new manager, I noticed for the first time you have to put a D.O.B. between the ages of 25 and 70, because I hadn't noticed it before I reinstalled FM11 from my Steam account and on FM11 it doesn't state the D.O.B. is restricted.

So does this mean that when you reach 70 it is your last year has a manager and you are forced to retire, or do you not age past 70.

Now I know my next bit will stir opinions.

I personally believe we has managers should bide by the same laws of the AI managers in the sense has when Sir Alex gets to a certain age he will decided to retire from the footballing world. Some club owners will feel the need to have a younger person in charge i.e. you get to 60 and the board decided they want a fresh approach and sack you, with only 10 years left in the game you are presented with a choice find a new club for the remaining 10 years or retire there and then.

I am not suggesting that this will be a game over scenario and the game automatically closes to the main menu. You will obviously have the option of adding a new manager either back at the team you have been managing for the last 30 years or maybe a fallen giant and try and spend the next 30 years getting them back to the top.

If this restriction, that is currently in place, is only a cosmetic feature i.e. you just don't age over 70 then I personally would like to see a tick box next to the D.O.B. to enable forced retirement at the age of 70.

What do you think??

It would be illegal to sack someone for turning 60 (at least in UK law).

And I am totally imposed to any kind of forced retirement at any age.

I feel the problem is some people view being a football manager or a football player is the same has being an office worker for example but what people need to realise is the sport industry has to be viewed differently. Even though under law it is not viewed differently.

Under law the employer would have to have valid grounds or they will face a tribunal. Football has to be viewed differently because if has a chairman I feel that my current manager is getting long in the tooth and isn't adapting to changes in the game then I would look to bring in someone to bring a fresh approach.

Obviously, there is always the option of not renewing the managers contract (which thinking about I should have said in the beginning not sacking).

Whilst I would still like to see Sir Alex if possible still managing Utd when he is turning 90 but if we are all honest no-one in their right mind would still be working on a full-time basis or at all.

Whilst the majority will want to keep working as long has possible, there comes a time when you think I've had enough, for the FM perspective it would have to be a set Age

I feel the problem is some people view being a football manager or a football player is the same has being an office worker for example but what people need to realise is the sport industry has to be viewed differently. Even though under law it is not viewed differently.

Under law the employer would have to have valid grounds or they will face a tribunal. Football has to be viewed differently because if has a chairman I feel that my current manager is getting long in the tooth and isn't adapting to changes in the game then I would look to bring in someone to bring a fresh approach.

Obviously, there is always the option of not renewing the managers contract (which thinking about I should have said in the beginning not sacking).

Whilst I would still like to see Sir Alex if possible still managing Utd when he is turning 90 but if we are all honest no-one in their right mind would still be working on a full-time basis or at all.

Whilst the majority will want to keep working as long has possible, there comes a time when you think I've had enough, for the FM perspective it would have to be a set Age

Football is viewed differently to office work, for example, but it is still subject to the same laws of employment. You can't legally fire someone based on their age. It's illegal. Simple as that.

Can you even give a real-life example of a manager pushed aside because of age?

Indeed, managers in their 60s are often highly sought-after: England went for Capello, Chelsea went for Ancelotti, Fulham for Hodgson (and then Liverpool and West Brom), Gradi stepped down at Crewe a few years back citing age but was persuaded to return, Bobby Robson managed at Newcastle in his 70s and only left mainly due to ill-health. I can't think of a manager pushed out because of age and age alone. Of course I can't. There would have been a tribunal had there been a case of this.

Football is viewed differently to office work, for example, but it is still subject to the same laws of employment. You can't legally fire someone based on their age. It's illegal. Simple as that.

Can you even give a real-life example of a manager pushed aside because of age?

Indeed, managers in their 60s are often highly sought-after: England went for Capello, Chelsea went for Ancelotti, Fulham for Hodgson (and then Liverpool and West Brom), Gradi stepped down at Crewe a few years back citing age but was persuaded to return, Bobby Robson managed at Newcastle in his 70s and only left mainly due to ill-health. I can't think of a manager pushed out because of age and age alone. Of course I can't. There would have been a tribunal had there been a case of this.

I did say in my last reply that Sacking was the wrong term to use. Just not renewing a contract.

But leaving real-life aside I think it would make it more challenging and interesting for games who want it hence why I said there should be a tick box to enable it. So you start at age 25 and you will have 45 years to make something of your career and then you start again to try and better it in the next 45 years.

But maybe its just me who thinks it should be implemented

The thing is Welsh lad, one of these options added opens the game up to more arcadey options, you could tie your idea into the idea of challenges from another thread, you could have say 10 years to turn a club into the best in the world or things like that, all it takes is one of these ideas before the game starts going down the wrong route imo anyway.

I can't see how this option will open it up to more arcadey options. With the challenges your talking about self governance then and the temptation is there to stray from the rules.

I also think it will be useful for those who take the Hall of Fame serious, because by managing forever you will inevitably become number 1 because everyone else is retiring.

I just think it makes logical sense that you can manage forever. With FM12 giving a restriction on the D.O.B. and it means nothing is ridiculous in my opinion. Unless in FM11 it didn't need the restriction but in FM12 there was a underlying flaw with manager D.O.B. parameters that was causing crashes in testing.

Yeah but, you already have it in your own power to make it realistic. Just retire at an age you feel appropriate. If others manage into their 90s, does it matter? You wouldn't be seeing it and it wouldn't affect you. SI don't need to make it impossible to manager forever because, if you don't like the idea of managing forever, you're already free to retire whenever you like.

Ancellotti 60? He isn't even 50 mate. He was still playing in the early 90s.

EDIT: Damn, he's 52. He wasn't yet 50 though when Chelsea appointed him though (by 9 days :D).

Ancellotti 60? He isn't even 50 mate. He was still playing in the early 90s.

EDIT: Damn, he's 52. He wasn't yet 50 though when Chelsea appointed him though (by 9 days :D).

Whoops! I was actually thinking of Scolari, although he was 58 or 59 when appointed.

Archived