Most unlikely place you've seen a good player come from

So, what's the most unlikely place you've seen a good regen come from.

I've currently got this young defender/midfielder called Mohamed Haule who I signed from Siofok, a Hungarian Club. They apparently picked him up from Mafunzo FC in Zanzibar and he plays for his native Zanzibar with pride whenever he can. He is in fact their captain and only player in the game and is a solid Champions League quality player who a host of clubs including [but not limited to] Werder, Palermo and Shakhtar are after. For those who don't know, Zanzibar is an semi-autonomous island of Tanzania and are only an associate member of CAF and so do not play any matches for the ACN or World Cup.

In FM2007 (or maybe 08), I had two players in consecutive years show up in Mozambique who were stunning. A Drogba-esque wrecking ball of a forward, and a silky smooth MC playmaker. Never seen any other player from there with any talent at all.

I had a player from Mayotte way back on CM03/04. Signed him from Leeds, dont know where the hell they managed to pick him up from. Probably France. He played for Mayotte rather than France the silly boy.

Had an Ethiopian right back, went to Pelotas in Brazil then signed him on a free for my world-conquering Southampton side when his contrat expired. Wasn't world-class by any means, but had great pace/stamina/acceleration and would occasionally have 'god games' where he'd score a hattrick from right back. Used to feel sorry for him when he got called up, the rest of the Ethiopian team was so far behind him it just seemed a pointless exercise travelling.

Took over the Nepalese job in FM07 and was amazed to see a 17yo CB with fantastic stats already there who i signed for my club team. He went on to play for Man u and was world class. Few years later a midfielder appeared as well who became world class.

I had the best player in the world come from the USA. Nearly 900 appearances for Liverpool, 650 goals. Which is impressive enough for a striker, but if you consider he slowed down and converted to a CM in his latter years, it's even better. Played until he was 38 at a very high level. For his first 8 years at Liverpool I managed him, then someone else took over.

Him in his prime....consider that he played for over 10 more years too after this.

His goalscoring record for most of his career, don't actually have one for his last 3-4 years. It was still good though.

His final goal tally in the overall team after he'd retired.

That whole team was amazing though, not just him. Him and Taylor up front, with Withe and Lawless on the wings as inside forwards also scoring bucketloads. Was sad to actually leave them but thought the time had come.

I had the best player in the world come from the USA. Nearly 900 appearances for Liverpool, 650 goals. Which is impressive enough for a striker, but if you consider he slowed down and converted to a CM in his latter years, it's even better. Played until he was 38 at a very high level. For his first 8 years at Liverpool I managed him, then someone else took over.

Him in his prime....consider that he played for over 10 more years too after this.

His goalscoring record for most of his career, don't actually have one for his last 3-4 years. It was still good though.

That whole team was amazing though, not just him. Him and Taylor up front, with Withe and Lawless on the wings as inside forwards also scoring bucketloads. Was sad to actually leave them but thought the time had come.

Wow, looks like a beefed up version of C. Ronaldo. I guess you can only get stats like that when the player is one sided though, because if a player is two-footed it 'eats up' a lot of CA points and a world class player ends up with loads of 15s rather than 18s - 20s for most stats.

I had a save on FM10 where Arsenal were the top team in the world in about 2040. Their best player was a world-class striker from Burundi.

Interestingly, I also once had a save (might've even been the same one) where Arsenal's captain was an Italian named Giovanni Ingleterre - Italian for 'Johnny English' (almost). I'm still not sure if it was a ****-take by SI.

A bit off topic but I had an American regen with the same name come through on my FM11 long term save. He was a ST and signed for Chelsea I think, was nowhere near as good as this guy though. Freaky, unless its hard coded in?

Back in either 07 or 08, in one of my games, Luxembourg produced a string of decent regens - none were world class, but there were at least 4 solid premiership level players, and about the same number who would've done well in the Championship. Sadly for them, they were still using a greyed out goalkeeper...

A bit off topic but I had an American regen with the same name come through on my FM11 long term save. He was a ST and signed for Chelsea I think, was nowhere near as good as this guy though. Freaky, unless its hard coded in?

That is a bit weird. Though I do notice regens with the same names as previous saved games come through, who get to a similar level. My guy was on FM10 I think.

I once picked up a player from Swaziland (if I spelled that right) who was in my first team the first and only time ever I won the Champions League in a FM game. He was in the Champions League 'dream team.'

Great midfielder. I've only had a few better than him over the years. Not sure what his name was again though.

Gintaras Pinkevicius is, easily, my best player ever. A player from Lithuania and the only one of intense quality. I picked him up from Kaunas, a Lithuanian club. He ended up being the best striker I've ever had, counting all FMs.

And in my lower leagues saves, I've once had a central defender from Pakistan. He was a regen at a English LL team in the BSN/BSS. He was good enough to hold onto his first team position all the way up to League 1. He became a back up player when I got in the Championship -- and he retired during my spell in the Championship.

Archived