Blue Square to Premier League

Has anybody managed to start off in the BSN/BSS & managed to make it all the way to the top with or without staying with the same team.

Im in 2021 with Darlington, i took them over after 3 years with Gainsborough when i had just won promotion & Darlo had been relegated to the Conference. Im now in league 1 & considering resigning so that i can apply for some positions in the championship.

I know its rare IRL for manager to start at the bottom & work up but how successful have you all been?

I'm in 2025 with Gateshead, I holidayed my first season so that they would be promoted to the BSN and I've been manager of them ever since. I've won the Prem and Champions league the last 3 seasons running and this season completed the Quadruple.

So yes, it is possible and a lot of fun. Although it's pretty difficult at some points.

Only from Oxford starting in BS, accepted Spurs job at end of 2nd Season and won Prem with Spurs 3rd season.

I usually start with Spurs, but a change to start with a different Spurs team.

Originally posted by David Sullivan:

I want to know if anyone has managed to get to the top as a manager but by changing teams a few times instead of sticking with a club for 20 years & achieving it that way.

If you are looking for a challenge like this, then this thread might help, it's a bit like Gundo's and Dafuge's challenge combined and it can be carried out as a career as well.

I've done it both ways, but enjoyed it more when I took a team all the way rather than jumping ship a couple of times.

When I have moved I only ever got jobs for clubs in the division I was managing in.

The chances are you won't get offered a job at a championship side if you've only managed a team in League 1 and not pushed them towards promotion (which I assume is the case if you want to resign).

Personally, I'd wait until you're offered something or until one of the sleeping Giants in League 1 sack there manager.

My most fun career progression was on FM06, where I went: Weymouth, Northampton, Bristol City, West Bromwich Albion, Lyon, Bayern Munich.

I would say it is certainly possible to jump 'above your station'. On FM07 I was managing Exeter in League 1 and was offered the England job.

Archived