Odd ratings

I play on both psp and iPhone versions as west ham and am regularly told that James Tomkins is the best defender at the club but try as I may with different tactics, different personnel in different leagues he consistently has lower average ratings then pretty much all of my other defenders and is some distance behind the midfielders. Anyone have similar experience or know why this is?' I've tried in his recommended position obviously. Cheers

• SI Staff
I play on both psp and iPhone versions as west ham and am regularly told that James Tomkins is the best defender at the club but try as I may with different tactics, different personnel in different leagues he consistently has lower average ratings then pretty much all of my other defenders and is some distance behind the midfielders. Anyone have similar experience or know why this is?' I've tried in his recommended position obviously. Cheers

Could it be that while he is arguably the best player he doesn't suit the style of football you play? - for instance he might be an unintelligent but athletic defender who is brilliant at timing tackles but not so great as part of your 'offside trap'?

thanks for the quick response Marc.

I've literally played the first season ten times between iphone and psp (by the way the challenges are great :thup:)

no matter whether I play 3 at the back, direct, short, long, offside trap on or off, counter attack on or off, played next to a guy with leadership skills etc he just seems to get the same 7 average. winston reid who is not as good according to the coach is up at 7.5 most attempts

on the psp i've played ten years in the future and whoever I buy is better than him according to the coach for a few months then he's back to best defender without having the ratings to back it up...maybe he improves the ratings of those around him cos he's so good..?

any pointers on how I can get the best out of him specifically would be appreciated as it's bugging the hell out of me!!! (was the offside trap comment a specific hint?)

Thanks for the response Marc. I'm out and about at the moment (and don't know how to post screen shots - but sure I can work it out from the net somewhere). Will put some up when I can but probably be after Christmas (hope you all have a good Christmas by the way)

The two players in particular that I compare in the first season are James Tomkins and winston Reid of west ham. Tomkins is the better defender according to the coach but his (tomkins) average rating at the end of the season is much lower (7.0ish for Tomkins v 7.3ish for reid) and jack collison and mark noble end up with 7.7/8 ish in midfield.

Interestingly I just played a season on the iPhone with Tomkins in a defensive midfield role (part of 4-1-2-1-2) and he averaged near 8 and got championship player of the year

Marc, I'm afraid that I haven't been able to find a way to get screenshots of the iphone. i've got 2 save games - one with 34 games played at centre back with an average of just over 7.3 (managed to increase it by taking offside trap off as you suggest but still below winston reid who is, according to the coach, not as good) and one with 34 games played in defensive midfield with average just under 7.9. do defenders have lower averages as part of the game design? or do James tomkins' hidden attributes make him a better midfielder (although he then seems to be overtaken as best defender at the club in the summer 'roll' into the next season. happy to share the save games with you if they'd help at all?

tomkins' visible attributes are

crossing 9, dribbling 12, heading 18, passing 12, shooting 5, tackling 15, technique 13, aggression 11, creativity 4, decisions 15, leadership 9, movement 8, positioning 12, teamwork 15, pace 16, stamina 16, strength 16. preferred and recomended role; central def

Marc, I'm afraid that I haven't been able to find a way to get screenshots of the iphone. i've got 2 save games - one with 34 games played at centre back with an average of just over 7.3 (managed to increase it by taking offside trap off as you suggest but still below winston reid who is, according to the coach, not as good) and one with 34 games played in defensive midfield with average just under 7.9. do defenders have lower averages as part of the game design? or do James tomkins' hidden attributes make him a better midfielder (although he then seems to be overtaken as best defender at the club in the summer 'roll' into the next season. happy to share the save games with you if they'd help at all?

tomkins' visible attributes are

crossing 9, dribbling 12, heading 18, passing 12, shooting 5, tackling 15, technique 13, aggression 11, creativity 4, decisions 15, leadership 9, movement 8, positioning 12, teamwork 15, pace 16, stamina 16, strength 16. preferred and recomended role; central def

If you pre4ss the home button and power button at the same time mate it'll take a picture and put it in your photos app

• SI Staff
do defenders have lower averages as part of the game design?

The way the games designed positions should on average has similar 'average' ratings - however some positions have far more 'volitile' ratings (ie. higher peaks/troughs to ratings) than others in general; for instance a striker on a scoring run will tend to get a higher average than a solid defender because he's more 'visible/noticable' (same as in real-life).

You'll also find that some formations bias towards players in a specific position scoring higher than in others - for instance if you play an attacking style then you'll find that your attacking players will probably rate higher than your defensive players, simply because the style of play is intended to create chances (making the attackers look good) while putting more pressure on the defense (ie. they're less likely to have defensive support from the rest of the team and indeed might have pushed up themselves in some cases).

or do James tomkins' hidden attributes make him a better midfielder

This could also have a large bearing on things.

I think his visible stats suit both a DMC and DC role but possible are skewed slightly towards the DMC slot because of his (relative to other stats) low positioning ... this means defensively his positioning isn't that stellar, forgivable if he's a DMC with defenders behind him (and his pace to make up for any lapses) ... but as the last line of defense it could cause a goal to be conceeded, just a thought.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived