Reinstalling the game?

Since I can't find any way to roll back the current patch (which Steam ran automatically even thought I checked the box for no automatic updates), I wondered whether this would work...

If I go out and buy the disc version of the game, can I reinstall it and get the old version back? Or will Steam automatically update it again during the verification process?

Obviously, I don't want to spend another 29 quid or whatever if I am just going to end up with the same problem?

Thanks in advance, particularly if I can get some sort of official response from the SI team.

That wouldn't work. You need to activate the game via Steam even from the disc version, and it will automatically updated to 12.1.0 when you do so. You cannot play without activating via Steam.

Game has already been activated so he can delete local content and reinstall from the disc. The patch download may start but he can stop it before it finishes then he can tick "Do not update" and then set to offline mode.

To be certain he can then block Steam from using the connection.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry Cougar, but you are wrong; you can't install from offline mode. Then as soon as you re-install from disc, Steam AUTOMATICALLY switches your setting from "Do not update" to "Update". I have sat and watched this happen three times. There is NO WAY to stop the update once it has started and there is NO WAY to roll back to the original version of the game. I do not want to update because my created nation will not work with the updated game (the game freezes on March 5th 2012), but I am having no choice in the matter. I want to use the game for which I have paid money and I can not do so. This is for me totally unacceptable.

Something needs to be done about this for the next version or a lot of people are going to just drift away. I can't believe it would be that difficult a thing to implement.

Sorry Cougar, but you are wrong; you can't install from offline mode. Then as soon as you re-install from disc, Steam AUTOMATICALLY switches your setting from "Do not update" to "Update". I have sat and watched this happen three times. There is NO WAY to stop the update once it has started and there is NO WAY to roll back to the original version of the game. I do not want to update because my created nation will not work with the updated game (the game freezes on March 5th 2012), but I am having no choice in the matter. I want to use the game for which I have paid money and I can not do so. This is for me totally unacceptable.

Something needs to be done about this for the next version or a lot of people are going to just drift away. I can't believe it would be that difficult a thing to implement.

Well I don't know what you are doing different but I have done just that as recently as November for another game.

Install from disk, pause/freeze/cancel download of game/patch, when game is installed go into options and select "Do not update this game"

Archived