Challenges for PC Version

Would you like a challenge mode for PC?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like a challenge mode for PC?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided
    • Tell me more?

Personally I would like this, wondering whether others would. I think it could work in a similar way to the tutorials.

A bit of background:

Seeing the release of FMH for the IPad, IPhone etc. I thought about the new challenges feature. This feature creates short term challenges such as an injury ravaged squad, very low team morale and relegation/title/promotion dogfights.

I then thought if this would work and whether people would like it on PC.

I voted for yes.

I think the game, as I found out, is quite daunting to a newcomer; the thought of all those possible (infinite?) seasons ahead. Short challenges like "save a club from relegation with 10 games remaining" would be very exciting, and would certainly teach you the ropes without having to worry about long-term squad management (buying and selling players etc) right away.

With them [the challenges] being an option rather than a necessity, those who don't like them wouldn't have to even acknowledge their existence.

i think it's a good idea

not everyone gets into a long-term game

and i'd quite like the idea of taking control of a team (which i wouldn't normally manage) and try to turn their fortunes around

i say put it into the PC game, the people who don't want it can leave it alone, and the people that do can try it (maybe a steam achievement for completing all of them?)

In the past SI have always said its up to the community to create the challenges hence there is a challenges forum.

Personally I probably wouldn't use the feature but would generally have nothing against it being included but I think the problem will be the amount of time SI needed to include something like this.

It's a very good idea, and something I've long thought would be a good inclusion. I guess it could work similarly to how the quickstart saves used to work. The only thing that I'd count against this idea is that it may be rather difficult to impliment, and if it's between working on this feature, or improving the game in general, I'd suggest SI put their manhours into sharpening up the game in general, as of course others have mentioned that the games primary feature is to be a long-term simulation of football management.

It's certainly one to consider at the very least I'd imagine.

Have you played Sim City? You get the option of taking over fully built cities with problems you have to fix to complete, so for example off the top of my head one city had huge crime rates you have to reduce to complete, or one had a scenario where a nuclear power plant blew up and you had to work around the fall out.

In FM terms i think the op would be meaning take over united for example 10 games before the end of the season with very poor moral. lost the last 5 games and you have to win the league to complete.

I'm going to vote no.

I would like to a see a mode where you can play your team against someone elses - in a one off game. Say a mates team or something. The outcome of the game would have no affect, and any injuries, bookings etc. are nullified after the game.

I'd like this because I like playing the managerial role - but the odd time I'd like to pitt my team against someone else.

I'd also like to be able to go on a career game because I like building teams up to the greatest. I'd love to be able to play two teams from two different eras that I managed. So if I take Sunderland to the best in the World in 2020 - then say in 2040 I'd like to pit my new Barcelona side against the 2020 team, for a laugh.

I would like to a see a mode where you can play your team against someone elses - in a one off game. Say a mates team or something. The outcome of the game would have no affect, and any injuries, bookings etc. are nullified after the game.

I'd also love this feature. I've never been interested in playing FM online but I'd love to play a few friendlies/tournaments using exported squads.

As for the original post, I'd actually quite like it. I used to love playing some similar on Brian Lara Cricket, where you got to try to recreate or change history. As long as the scenarios were based on real life (licensed leagues only then), then it could be quite good. Only big problem is since the databse would be historical it would need to be created from scratch for each challenge, which could be time consuming.

Maybe it could work with international tournaments only? Can you imagine trying to recreate the wins by Denmark or Greece in the Euros?

Personally I like the idea. There a number of reasons I do like this concept:

*I do not do long term careers, get bored quickly, so I normally play about 3 seasons, 4max and then the next FM comes out.

*Sometimes I occasionally play a LLM when I have had enough of playing with my favoured team ala 3/4 seasons.

Adding a challenge re saving a team from relegation etc with 10/15 games to go appeals to me. There are other numerous challenges I am sure that would be as interesting.

I do not see this as a gimmick as your not changing the game content or adding spurious stuff e.g marriage/golf and so on. What you are doing is giving a lot of people the option to try something else. And to a certain extent it is like Sim City in that you pick a team and try to guide it to glory or avoid ingnomy, as oppossed to a City that you try and guide to greatness and avoid bankruptcy etc. So there are similarities.

Whilst I know that I can pick a potentially poor team and try to avoid relegation at the start of the season or pick a top team and try to win the CL or PL, this idea advances that premis so that we do not have to start from scratch e.g in real life, managers drafted in to save a failing team.

My only question is would this type of inclusion create any issues, problems or impact on the game overall? If not, then it should be considered a serious addition.

I very much like this idea.

Some folks dont have time to do long career games. It normally takes me 40-50 hours or so do a season, so I rarely make it past season 2 or 3 in my save games. A challenge mode would allow you to feel like you were accomplishing something within that time frame, without having to commit to a game long term.

You can already do the 'Save team from relegation' challenge. Simply holiday the game until March, look at the league table to see who is bottom and add manager to take over that team. Simples.

Whilst that is true, it was just an example, albeit as you say simple to emulate through holidaying. However, I think the idea is to have a number of differing types of challenges.

challenges section existes, maybe SI could be more proactive in linking to the forum from in the game so things like that and editor created games get more exposure... unless this unlocks a can of licencing worms

Thanks for all the feedback guys! I do think this is a better idea now...

Archived