Broken Game

This is my first post to the forums. I have been playing the game since its release date. I have played several successful seasons with Manchester United due to the talent in the squad.

I have found have attempted to play the game in several other leagues from blue square premier on up the leagues without any success. I played multiple seasons in each league mind you, it was not a 1 and done type deal.

I give you that background so you know I am not a rage quitting flamer who is pissed because I lost.

Without going into details I thought I would give me thoughts on the game. It’s a broken game that steals any joy from the game. The tactics part of the game, the whole point of playing football manger, is completely broken. I would use stronger language but don’t want to get banned. Where do you start, matches engine not reflecting the tactics assigned and trained, getting pounded into the ground by far weaker teams on a regular basis (yes I know it happens in real life sometimes, but it’s rare), dominating a team and creating many “clear cut chances” only to loose 1-0 on there wonder long shot or fluke goal, remarkably stupid decision making by players, kicking the ball out of bounds when there is no pressure on them, not shooting from point blank range, a complete lack of realistic crossing/ cut back options in the 3d engine, “his 1st goal ever, 1st goal of the season, etc” A complete inability of defenders to tackle, same BS goals over and over and over, aka goal kick leads to header back over defenders head, finished by striker.

I think that rant gives enough examples of why the tactics portion of this game are laughable at best. I could get started on injuries, like how all 6 of my strikers and center backs are all injured on 3 different teams within a month of starting the season with a very light training schedules, but I will spare you.

All I am saying is that I am tired of bringing in the right players, training the right formations and tactics, only to be pounded into the ground by inferior opponents, dominate the opposition to loose on yet again another fluke. Hold 75% of possession but fail to care out a single chance, loosing my team to injury, and watch a team predicted to finish first get relegated for yet another season and despite sticking with the game for multiple seasons, find it impossible to make the tactics portion of the game work.

In this Christmas season, the only real joy to be found in this game is to play a top 4 club and let the vast talent gloss over the brokenness that is this game.

I am very open to hints, tips, explanations and help.

Merry Christmas

cant really offer any advice that hasnt already been given a thousand times in countless threads before this one...

but i will say i haven't found anywhere near the level of brokeness you have... sure it needs some polish and tweaking.. but the tactical side of things has improved vastly imo and i find it no trouble at all to get it doing what i want..

i could suggest you check out the tactical theorems etc in the tactics sub forum?

i dont belive its a broken game, its the BEST football managment game out there by far,

however i do agree that the tactical side of it is just plain stupid and nothing more, i mean a most basic 4-4-2 man utd side should be able to beat a team like soilhull moors easily, however on fm if your tactics are not right then there is a good chance you will lose which, like i say is just plain stupid

Tactics 33 %, team talks/morale 33%, players 33%. The tactical aspect is only a part of this game due to SI's wish to allow different coaching styles.

So if you suck at tactics, you can still enjoy success if you handle the two other aspects well enough. A good tip is to download a successful tactic and take a look at it to see -why- it is successful. It is true that many of the tactical instructions do something else than you would think they do, so I can understand that you observe that the ME doesn't really reflect what you intended it to do.

...I posted a thread recently about a team going 36 games unbeaten only to lose 3 (now 4) times in a row. I'd also point out that this team normally would have 60-70% of the ball and would made on average over 550 completed passes to the opponents 100-200... Things go wrong in football, it happens.

In fact the other night Derby lost 1-0 having been the better team against Ipswich for a goal that never went in the net. Again, these things happen! Get over yourself, sort out your tactics and get that team playing.

...I posted a thread recently about a team going 36 games unbeaten only to lose 3 (now 4) times in a row. I'd also point out that this team normally would have 60-70% of the ball and would made on average over 550 completed passes to the opponents 100-200... Things go wrong in football, it happens.

In fact the other night Derby lost 1-0 having been the better team against Ipswich for a goal that never went in the net. Again, these things happen! Get over yourself, sort out your tactics and get that team playing.

I agree with this.

I was expecting more sarcasm and hidden sentences mate!

This is the reason that FM is so good. It replicates the randomness of football, and how important each aspect of management is.

How many times do you see new managers come in with the same players and tweak tactics to find the success that the team previously couldn't with the old tactics!

This is my first post to the forums. I have been playing the game since its release date. I have played several successful seasons with Manchester United due to the talent in the squad.

I have found have attempted to play the game in several other leagues from blue square premier on up the leagues without any success. I played multiple seasons in each league mind you, it was not a 1 and done type deal.

I give you that background so you know I am not a rage quitting flamer who is pissed because I lost.

Without going into details I thought I would give me thoughts on the game. It’s a broken game that steals any joy from the game. The tactics part of the game, the whole point of playing football manger, is completely broken. I would use stronger language but don’t want to get banned. Where do you start, matches engine not reflecting the tactics assigned and trained, getting pounded into the ground by far weaker teams on a regular basis (yes I know it happens in real life sometimes, but it’s rare), dominating a team and creating many “clear cut chances” only to loose 1-0 on there wonder long shot or fluke goal, remarkably stupid decision making by players, kicking the ball out of bounds when there is no pressure on them, not shooting from point blank range, a complete lack of realistic crossing/ cut back options in the 3d engine, “his 1st goal ever, 1st goal of the season, etc” A complete inability of defenders to tackle, same BS goals over and over and over, aka goal kick leads to header back over defenders head, finished by striker.

I think that rant gives enough examples of why the tactics portion of this game are laughable at best. I could get started on injuries, like how all 6 of my strikers and center backs are all injured on 3 different teams within a month of starting the season with a very light training schedules, but I will spare you.

All I am saying is that I am tired of bringing in the right players, training the right formations and tactics, only to be pounded into the ground by inferior opponents, dominate the opposition to loose on yet again another fluke. Hold 75% of possession but fail to care out a single chance, loosing my team to injury, and watch a team predicted to finish first get relegated for yet another season and despite sticking with the game for multiple seasons, find it impossible to make the tactics portion of the game work.

In this Christmas season, the only real joy to be found in this game is to play a top 4 club and let the vast talent gloss over the brokenness that is this game.

I am very open to hints, tips, explanations and help.

Merry Christmas

ANother person who cant take losing and rages. Very pathetic sorry mate.

I have found this above aswell, BUT, i seem to be able to overcome this within the match by EITHER:

1 - Overload the players to try and push for that equaliser or winner.

2 - Use a more attacking tactic and introduce more attack minded players to push for that goal.

3 - Use a counter-attacking tactic (this is better IMO than above) and go out all for nothing! (usually end up salvenging something from the game 8 times outta 10)

4 - Cut my loses and just accept that it happens (maybe far-to-often ingame than RL, but no matter what people say, it wont be changed, modifed or accepted as a "bug").

I do feel your pain, but when i dominate a team, 68% Posession, 18 Shots on target, 2 Off, 6 CCC, 2 Pens compared to 32% Posession, - 1 Shots on target, 1 off, 0 CCC, 0 Pens, 10 players for 62 mins, 9 players for 18 mins. They scored a wonder goal Messi would be proud of.

Is the above realistic? Sure, does it happen? Sure, (See Inter vs Barcelona Champs League) - The above was just one of those bad days in the office, as i went on to beat Lazio (3rd in League) 7-1 away from home with 3 First teamers out due to injury/suspention.

:)

When I wrote this I was a flaming looser. I have learned a lot more about this game and tactics over the last few days. I have found a little more success but there are still certain aspects of the game that cannot be changed with tactics or any other method that are driving me crazy.

1st is the inability of my players to tackle. They just don't in this game and haven't in the past two versions of the game I have played. no amount of tactic wrangling will change this.

2nd is being dominated and beaten by the bottom of the table teams EVERY GAME without fail. without fail my seasons go as expected, loosing, winning and drawing games in a normal football way, however than the match against the bottom of the table teams comes, and I get hammered. I tested countless tactics, mentalities, formations, players in one of my games (restarted about 10 times) and lost every time. I know upsets happen in soccer, but 1, I am getting raped every-time I play a bottom of the table team. 2, It happens without fail the game I'm predicted and should dominate, I am run of the pitch.

That said, if those two things where taken care off, than I could really see this game being more enjoyable. The frustrating part is that there is nothing you can do about these two things, so what's the point in playing the game.

I do know this is the best game on the market, but I am on the verge on just quitting. The only thing keeping me playing is my desire to understand how it works and why these things don't work.

Details

I am playing Leeds United.

Playing 4-4-2

2 strikers (poacher/attack, Deep Lying forward/Support)

4 mid (2 wingers, 1 ball winning midfield/defend, 1 advanced playmaker/support)

4 defense (2 FB/auto, 2 CD/defend)

Default player instruction except long-shots all set to rarely

Team instructions is balanced and standard.

Have changed team tactics in all ways form very defensive to very attacking in an effort to figure my problems out with no avail.

I really feel there are those die hard supporters of this game that pass the obvious broken aspects of as part of football and than those who are realistic and notice the problems but get labeled flaming losers.

I just want to understand what's going on and how to fix it.

When I wrote this I was a flaming looser. I have learned a lot more about this game and tactics over the last few days. I have found a little more success but there are still certain aspects of the game that cannot be changed with tactics or any other method that are driving me crazy.

1st is the inability of my players to tackle. They just don't in this game and haven't in the past two versions of the game I have played. no amount of tactic wrangling will change this.

2nd is being dominated and beaten by the bottom of the table teams EVERY GAME without fail. without fail my seasons go as expected, loosing, winning and drawing games in a normal football way, however than the match against the bottom of the table teams comes, and I get hammered. I tested countless tactics, mentalities, formations, players in one of my games (restarted about 10 times) and lost every time. I know upsets happen in soccer, but 1, I am getting raped every-time I play a bottom of the table team. 2, It happens without fail the game I'm predicted and should dominate, I am run of the pitch.

That said, if those two things where taken care off, than I could really see this game being more enjoyable. The frustrating part is that there is nothing you can do about these two things, so what's the point in playing the game.

I do know this is the best game on the market, but I am on the verge on just quitting. The only thing keeping me playing is my desire to understand how it works and why these things don't work.

Details

I am playing Leeds United.

Playing 4-4-2

2 strikers (poacher/attack, Deep Lying forward/Support)

4 mid (2 wingers, 1 ball winning midfield/defend, 1 advanced playmaker/support)

4 defense (2 FB/auto, 2 CD/defend)

Default player instruction except long-shots all set to rarely

Team instructions is balanced and standard.

Have changed team tactics in all ways form very defensive to very attacking in an effort to figure my problems out with no avail.

I really feel there are those die hard supporters of this game that pass the obvious broken aspects of as part of football and than those who are realistic and notice the problems but get labeled flaming losers.

I just want to understand what's going on and how to fix it.

Reccy has got it spot on mate, there's no point in being the superior team if you don't play attacking football to take advantage of it.

Firstly, welcome to the forums.

There is a mass amount of quality threads in the Tactical forums - refer to Cleon's or the late SFrasers threads all quality.

In regards to tactics, you will need to adapt them on a continued basis, as teams will evolve around you and play counter or defenvise against you if you are favourites and at home.

It is a good game, it can be frustrating at times, but the little wins make it worth it.

PS - going more attacking in various tactical settings is still no help, still yet to beat a bottom of the table team

Im using a tactic called "Goals Galore" for my main tactic, and a 4-2-3-1 counter-attacking for when im behind. 70% of the time, i stick with my main tactic through-out the match, (usually mainly becuase i forget to change), but i have a team i have created for these tactics, players i know can play very well in these and have had alot of success (alot more before the latest patch mind) and most of my players are pacey, (i believe pace is over-powered within the game atm).

My Full back/Wing backs (cant remember which) are good crossers and love getting forward and very quick.

I have a Holding Midfielder (Like a Scott Parker type)

Skilled Wingers.

These seem to gel and get it right most of the time, occastionally you'll lose, and it gets very frustrating, i will add, its seems alot harder than before the latest patch, morale has been effected and has an effect on match-day.

It's all about finding out what your team can do and creating something which sparks within that group. Im not the best person on tactics, I've been quite lucky in what i know and it seems to have worked.

Hope this helps.

Archived