New Laptop Help

Hi,

I am getting a new laptop. I am looking at getting Dell Inspiron from Argos:

Dell Inspiron 15.6 Inch Black 500GB 2.13GHz Laptop.

CPU and Memory:

•Intel Pentium dual core P6200.

•2.13GHz processor speed.

•4GB DDR3 RAM memory.

•500GB SATA hard drive.

Display features:

•15.6 inch display.

DVD optical drives:

•DVD+RW/DVD-RW(read/write).

Graphics:

•Shared graphics.

•Intel with HM57 graphics card.

Interfaces and connectivity:

•3-in-1 media card reader.

•3 USB ports.

•1 Ethernet port.

•1 HDMI port.

•Bluetooth.

Multi-media features:

or

COMPAQ Presario CQ57-356SA 15.6" Laptop

Dual-core AMD E-300 processor

Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Memory: 4GB

Hard drive: 500GB

which is from PC World.

How well would they run FM12 and which is best value for money. 1st one from Argos is £350, 2nd one from PC World is £299. Or does anyone know anything better? I am looking to spend £350.

Thanks

Both of these have rather weak and outdated processors. You really should look to get a laptop with a Intel i3, or preferrably i5 processor now. And then again, of the latest generation - these have 4 digits in their model name - example: Intel Core i5 2410M. Those with just 3 digits are of the previous generation. Example: Intel Core i7 720M. If you come across one of the latter, they are still good processors, but you should get a substantial price reduction then, because then you are doing the shop a huge favour for taking outdated hardware off their hands.

I mention this because processor and RAM (memory) are the important factors when playing FM. More powerful processor and more RAM means you can play a bigger database and more leagues, faster.

They will both be ok if you only have 1 or 2 leagues playing, but their prices ares still too high for outdated hardware, as Wakers also is saying. If you buy a new laptop, buy one that is modern. I can't give you any specific suggestions, because I don't live in the UK and don't know what prices you have on laptops there, but I am sure you can get a better one for your money than those 2 examples you're looking at.

Hi mate,I higly reccomend you this laptop (from PCworld.co.uk 399£) TOSHIBA Satellite C660-258 15.6" Laptop - Black

Processor - Intel® Core™ i5-2430M (2.4GHz, 3.0GHz with Turbo Boost, 1333MHZ, 3MB cache)

Operating System -Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

RAM 4GB DDR3, 8GB maximum expandable memory

Graphics card - Intel HD Graphics 3000

Screen type LED backlit

Screen resolution 1366 x 768

Screen size 15.6"

Screen features TruBrute high brightness LED backlit, widescreen

Hard drive 500GB, SATA, 5400rpm

Optical disk drive DVD SuperMulti Dual layer

Memory card reader 2-in-1 (SD and MMC)

USB 2 x USB 2.0

Modem/Ethernet Ethernet RJ45

WiFi 802.11 bgn

Video interface VGA

Audio interface Microphone in

Headphone out

Sound Stereo

Webcam 0.3mp

Keyboard & Mouse Full size keyboard with numeric keypad

Multi-touch touchpad

Battery Li-ion, 6 cells, Up to 6 hours 30 minutes

Above is a good suggestion - hardware inside is up-to-date, and it's a good price, I think. The drawbacks is the low screen resolution, low speed harddisk, and lack of USB 3 ports. But considering the price, not major concerns.

Definately a better choice (read: more bang for the buck) than the two the op is currently looking at.

Hi mate,I higly reccomend you this laptop (from PCworld.co.uk 399£) TOSHIBA Satellite C660-258 15.6" Laptop - Black

Processor - Intel® Core™ i5-2430M (2.4GHz, 3.0GHz with Turbo Boost, 1333MHZ, 3MB cache)

Operating System -Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

RAM 4GB DDR3, 8GB maximum expandable memory

Graphics card - Intel HD Graphics 3000

Screen type LED backlit

Screen resolution 1366 x 768

Screen size 15.6"

Screen features TruBrute high brightness LED backlit, widescreen

Hard drive 500GB, SATA, 5400rpm

Optical disk drive DVD SuperMulti Dual layer

Memory card reader 2-in-1 (SD and MMC)

USB 2 x USB 2.0

Modem/Ethernet Ethernet RJ45

WiFi 802.11 bgn

Video interface VGA

Audio interface Microphone in

Headphone out

Sound Stereo

Webcam 0.3mp

Keyboard & Mouse Full size keyboard with numeric keypad

Multi-touch touchpad

Battery Li-ion, 6 cells, Up to 6 hours 30 minutes

That's about as good as you get for £400 and under. Go with that. Far better than the two in the opening post.

• 2 weeks later...

Great suggestion, can we set the forum up to automatically answer with that one?

Is Intel HD Graphics suitable for the 3D engine

If that is the 1GB 3000 thingy it should be fine for FM 3D with the detail turned right down, if not will run 2D fine. If anyone has experience to the contrary as we have been asked this about 3 times already in the last few days.

Archived