Earning my Spurs at the Lane

dburns1993

Spurs-badge.jpg

Tottenham Hotspur Football Club, commonly referred to as Spurs, is an English Premier League football club based in Tottenham, North London. The club's home stadium is White Hart Lane. The club's Latin motto is Audere est Facere ("To Dare Is to Do"), and its emblem is a cockerel standing upon a football.

They won their first trophy in 1901 when they won the FA Cup. They then became the first club to do the FA Cup and League Cup double in 1960-61 season. they successfully defended the FA Cup in 1961-62 before becoming the first British team to win a UEFA club competition when they won the European Cup Winners' Cup. They won the FA Cup for a third time in the 1960's when they won it in 1967. Following more domestic cup success, they won the 1972 UEFA Cup to become the first British club to win two different major European trophies. The 1980's saw them won several trophies including another UEFA Cup crown in 1984. Further domestic success in the 1990's and another League Cup won in 2008 saw them become one of only two British clubs to win a major trophy in each of the last six decades.

It is now my job to add more prestigious trophies to the trophy cabinet such as the Premiership and the European Elite, the Champions League but first things first we need to establish ourselves as the best team in London and then England before we target European success.

I will update after pre-season, each month in-game, after the January transfer window and an end of season review.

Game specifications: Version 12.0.4 (Every league in the world loaded with Argentina, Brazil, England, France, Germany, Holland, Italy, Portugal, Russia, Scotland, Spain and Ukraine as playable.)

Day One

Squad Analysis

Goalkeepers - Gomes, Brad Friedel, Carlo Cudicini

Overall, I think we're well stacked up in the goalkeeping although the age of the three goalkeepers concern me with Gomes being the youngest at 30 so I think one of my concerns will be to buy in a young keeper who can be tutored by one or more of my current keepers before taking over between the sticks.

Full backs - Kyle Walker, Vedran Corluka, Sebastian Bassong, Benoit Assou-Ekotto, Danny Rose

On the right side of defence, we have the future England right back in Kyle Walker who is only going to improve with regular game time. His back up will be Vedran Corluka who is only four years older at 25 but is highly experienced as well as being highly versatile. He will also act as a great tutor with his 17 for Determination . On the other we currently have Benoit Assou-Ekotto as the undoubted first choice, with his back up being either Sebastien Bassong who is maybe better suited to a central role but does a good job as a defensive full back. With a bit of defensive training and some time, Danny Rose may have the makings of a good full back, if not his pace will make him a good option on the wing if he can improve his crossing and dribbling. Walker and Rose could hold down the full back positions for the next ten years, plus there is always the option of bringing back Gareth Bale.

Centre backs - Ledley King, Michael Dawson, William Gallas, Younes Kaboul

In the middle we have the aforementioned Corluka and Bassong who would prefer to play in the middle but such is the strength, they operate on the flanks. That leaves us with the injury prone and aging trio of Ledley King, William Gallas and Michael Dawson who on their day, are three top defenders but injuries have prevented them from reaching their full potential, particularly King who could have been England's top defender. This leaves Younes Kaboul who should see plenty of game time due to injuries from the other three. For the future, this is a position that will need to be strengthened in the upcoming years.

Centre midfielders - Sandro, Scott Parker, Jake Livermore, Luka Modric, Tom Huddlestone, John Bostock

My favoured formation uses a ball winner and a deep lying playmaker in the two midfield slots, something similar to what 'Arry uses and what has been called by many as the best midfield in England. There seems to be the perfect combination and depth for these two roles with experience and youth for both roles. For the ball winner role, we have the experience of Parker, the all round game of Sandro and the youthful promise of Livermore. For the deep playmaking role, we have the genius of Modric, the guile and brains of Huddlestone as well as young but talented Bostock who may be suited further forward but time will tell. Hopefully, Livermore and Bostock develop enough to prevent me needing to buy a new midfielder but the overall age of the midfield isn't too old bar Parker.

Wingers - Aaron Lennon, Steven Pienaar, Gio dos Santos, Niko Krancjar, Andros Townsend, Gareth Bale

Once again, almost a perfect set of wingers where we have the pace and trickery of Bale and Lennon, the skill and unpredictability of dos Santos, the industry and hard working Pienaar, the majestic Krancjar coupled with the youthful speedy dribbler in Townsend. Regarding the future on the wing, I see no reason to buy a left winger unless we shift Bale to left back whereas on the other side Lennon still has another ten years in him yet.

Attacking midfield / Second striker - Rafael van der Vaart, Harry Kane, Jermaine Defoe

This is where I think we may need to strengthen as I'm unsure we can cope with an injury to van der Vaart even with the likes of Krancjar to fill in. Also with him and Defoe not getting any younger I may consider bringing in someone young straight to develop them and I'm unsure as to using Defoe in a withdrawn role but in real life that's where he's been used more so we'll see how that goes in pre-season before re-evaluating. I have high hopes for Harry Kane and see him as a massive part of the future at the Lane.

Strikers - Emmanuel Adebayor, Roman Pavlyuchenko, Souleymane Coulibaly

As good as Adebayor is, I can't see staying here after his loan finishes unless he agrees to a massive pay cut which is unlikely and coupled with the age of Pav, I think this is one position we'll need to strengthen sooner rather than later. Coulibaly should have a bright future and I'm hoping him and Harry Kane will save me forking out on a new striking partnership in the years to come.

General squad analysis

Overall, I'm very happy with the depth in the squad in most positions although the age of some players in key positions concerns me but with a first season budget of £12m I'm confident of finding the right players to both further improve the depth but reduce the average age and wage of the club

Staff Analysis

Assistant and Coaches

I see no reason to keep too many of the current coaching staff so expect a complete overhaul in that department.

Scouts and Physios

I see no reason at all to keep any of the physios while the scouts we currently are good bar Richard Allen but as we develop I'm sure there will also be an overhaul with the scouts as we increase our knowledge of the world's top youngsters.

General staff analysis

I can definitely sense a complete overhaul and any existing staff will be lucky to keep their job apart from maybe two of the scouts.

Will update again at the end of August after the transfer window.

Archived