Come-Bye: Controlling the Herd.

Paolo Willenté

Going to be honest, I chose this team purely on the name. I wanted to do a Scandinavian youth career because of the length of the season. Felt like I could plough through relatively quickly. (Having tried a similar challenge in Scotland I was getting frustrated by the long seasons and lack of progress). But I digress...

I’ve chosen SportsKlubben Herd to take forward as my team. They are currently situated in the 3rd tier of the Norwegian league system and are in Group 2. As a Semi-Professional team, one of the main initial challenges will be to push for Professional status.

I would post screenshots to facilities and what not but they are all **** so I won't bother. One thing I noticed though is that out pitch is "Synthetic. New type - soft". So make of that what you will. Maybe it means I won't have to fork out to replace it as often...

Here is the only information Wikipedia has on them:

SK_Herd.gif

Sportsklubben Herd is a sports club from Ålesund, Norway. It has sections for association football, handball and swimming, and was founded on 22 August 1932.

The men's football team plays in the Second Division (fourth tier) from 2011. It was promoted from the Fourth to the Third Division following the 2008 season. Ahead of the 2009 season they signed Lasse Olsen and Karl Oskar Fjørtoft for both playing and non-playing capacities. In 2010 it contested a playoff to win promotion, and succeeded by beating Sunndal 8–2 on aggregate.

You know the challenge; get to the top of European football using only the young lads coming through the youth system. Simple...

Please ask if you want any more info/pics etc

For ref. I started the game in Norway - January 2012

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
| Season |        League        | Position | Norwegian Cup  | EURO Cup | Champions Cup | Av. Attendance | Club Value (£) |
|--------|----------------------|----------|----------------|----------|---------------|----------------|----------------|
|  2012  | Second Division Grp2 |   10th   |   2nd Round    |    -     |       -       |      224       |       45k      |
|        |                      |          |                |          |               |                |                |
|        |                      |          |                |          |               |                |                |

For the record: Soft synthetic pitches have longer filaments, more rubber granulates, and is frequently "plowed" to ensure it all doesn't get packed together. Being on one on a hot summer day smells like you're standing in a tire yard, but at least the injuries (both repetitive strain injuries and impact injuries) are considerably fewer.

Also, good luck! :)

Right, so I don't think I'm going to be able to update this as much as I'd like to with work and stuff, but just as a quick update...

Half way through the season of 24 games long. The media prediction for this season is 11th out of 13 teams and I'm currently sitting pretty in 10th position.

A pretty rocky start which lead to A LOT of tactic changing and the realisation that every one of my players is terrible, means that it has been a slower start than I would have liked.

I had said to the board at the start of the season that I'd avoid relegation, hoping that I'd over achieve (in a kind of anti-jinx way). Sadly, I think consolidation in this league is going to be the first task.

The finances have spent the season so far in the red. However, there is talk of a takeover so we shall see where that goes. A fans trust apparently.

Screenshots to follow when I get home...

Mid Season Update (ish)

League Table

Results

As you can see, I've had a tough time keeping the ball out of my own net so far. More so at home as well. Having switched to a 4-5-1 recently I've managed to put a few points on the board, but still not really showing the signs of progression I'd like.

Still, as I said before, I'll be happy if I can stave off relegation to nothingness this season and then hope I get some youngsters good enough to slot straight in next season.

SK Herd - Norwegian Second Division Grp 2 - 2012

Season Report

Competition

League Table - Past Positions - Results

Having expected to struggle in the league by the media, it was no surprise that the whole season came down to the last game. We struggled for the first half of the season due to not having a reliable tactic to all back on, and that didn't really change during the second half of the year either. Luckily we managed to scrape together enough points to stay in the league and do it all over again next year.

Norwegian Cup

Knocked out in the second round by the team that finished 3rd in our league this year - Kristiansund. We were only expected to get to the first round however so this worked out OK.

Squad

Squad

The only real stand out player was Eirik Hoseth, but his age means that the performances will probably start drop sooner rather than later. But he will be in the team for as long as he keeps playing well. We still don't really have a main goal scorer. Thomas Pederson has been playing mainly on the left (AML in a 4-5-1) so 9 goals from there is a nice total, but can't rely on those every year. Someone needs to step up.

Summary

Pleased to have survived this year, but really need to crack on next year and get some early points on the board. The new owners have got the finances up to -£5,665 which is better than a poke in the eye but as long as we are still in the red we won't be able to make any facility improvements. Need to change that.

More screenshots available on request

Mo IL, although "play for" is an overstatement.

He drafted some of the biggest local talents in other, smaller clubs in order to 'build a team for the future', then after 1 month of training he started going way over budget by hiring full-time players from clubs at the other side of the country that were no better than the seniors already in the club. Due to a board that had no idea what they were doing and didn't stop him before it was too late, the club eventually went bankrupt, lost most of their good players and promising youngsters, and dropped out of the Second Division in 2010 due to a poor squad with a lack of width.

Also, it should be noted that I'd left by the time us "talents" were shoved to the B and U19-sides.

Anyhoo, Charles Berstad isn't a name that rings well around those parts anymore :p

Ah ok, so he thought he could translate FM to the real world and it back fired. Still, small world though! Ha!

Mid Season Update

League Table

Results

Team

A much improved start to the season. We've actually got a + goal difference and are currently only 4 points off our whole total for last season. Hopefully that means we are pretty much safe, but I'm not counting my chickens...

I'm currently still playing with the 4-5-1 tactic which we are pretty au fait with now. A big reason for our success so far is keeping the morale as high as possible, even if it means telling the odd white lie. Pedersen has also continued his scoring form but I have been playing up top occasionally.

Just had this epic game...

bigwin.jpg

4-1 down at half time. A rollocking in the dressing room spurred the boys on to fight for the win. Obviously disappointed to concede that many at home, but it was against one of the top teams in the league so just pleased with the 'score one more than you' policy for now.

Archived