That weird feeling you get after moving clubs

I don't tend to move clubs very often on FM so I don't have much experience of it, but I've just gone and done it. I wonder if anyone else ever gets a slightly low feeling afterwards? It's hard to explain but you suddenly start asking yourself if you've just ruined your game by moving.

I was managing Panathinaikos and got to the end of season three with two Greek titles and one Greek Cup win under my belt. I also got them to the Champions League Quarter Finals this season. Firstly, I don't feel I could have done much more with them if I stayed, but also, I always planned to make the move to a Russian, Turkish or Ukrainian club in the end. Anzhi Makhachkala didn't renew Gadzhiev's contract and offered me the job, so I took it. £53m to spend! But I suddenly find myself missing the warmth and familiarity of the Panathinaikos green. I was attached to some of the players and loved managing them. I've managed to sign a couple for Anzhi but I'm worried it won't feel the same.

I know some of you will say it's an exciting feeling and I was excited when the offer came in, but now I just can't wondering if I've made a mistake. A few wins and I'll probably forget all this. But I do feel a little... melancholic.. right now.

I never move clubs now. I'd rather start a new game then do a career game.

Since I generally spend 20ish seasons with a club (or a save), when I did move once, I felt really awkward. Players I found and watched them since they were 16/18 were all gone and some weird players I didn't know were there.

I hated the feeling of alienism.

Since then, I don't do a career game anymore. My saves are about managing one club only.

I get what your own about 100%, I did this after 3 and a half years at Malaga I got offered the City job, and took it, 2 weeks in I was like, no my time at Málaga was not over, reverted back to my older save and played on, now into my 12th season at Málaga and still feel that connection, the only time I wont be managing Málaga this year....if i start a new save.

That's another thing. I refuse to even look at Panathinaikos now because I know the new manager will ruin them. Players that played week in, week out and rarely went below 7.00 will suddenly spend three years without playing a match. No, I just won't look.

That's another thing. I refuse to even look at Panathinaikos now because I know the new manager will ruin them. Players that played week in, week out and rarely went below 7.00 will suddenly spend three years without playing a match. No, I just won't look.

I moved clubs a lot on FM10 by 2030 I have managed Auckland City, Wellington Phoenix, FC Tokoyo, America(MEX), Real Madrid, Botafogo, Velez, Seattle, Ismaily and Stoke City. I had a player who I signed for 4 of those clubs after he was already at Wellington. When I was at Seattle he retired and I hired him as my assman he then came to Ismaily with me as assistant and then took over as manager of them once I left. I didn't play many more seasons but he continued to lead them to domestic success after I left which was great. Worth noting despite the player not being that good I signed him for Real Madrid and capped him for Brazil.

I liked moving clubs but it always took a bit of time to get used to being somewhere different. Once I had played 10 or so league matches, signed my own players, set my tactics and training and hired some staff the club felt more like mine and I never looked back.

The thing is I do not sign new players.

I grow and develop them.

I'm very much a chequebook manager. That's the main appeal of Anzhi. They've not had much success so I'm hoping to be the first to win the title with them.

I hate seeing my teams being ruined after i've left.

Xabi Alonso is slowly dismantling my Liverpool side in my current game.

I went to Liverpool after managing Barnet for 6 seasons bring them to the Premier League and an FA Cup success right before I left. They replaced me with Walter Zenga and he has ruined everything I have built at Barnet. He transfer listed all the good players in the squad and sign players like Dean Brill and a bunch of crap French players.

I know how you feel. I remember on FM07 when I had a great team with Tottenham; AC Milan decided to approach me, so I took the job. Somehow shelling out £50m for Robinho wasn't as fun as buying Igor Budan for £6m - who scored in two consecutive UEFA Cup finals - which I won. He was a total misfire at first, but became a RIGHT CULT.

Good old days.

I rarely move clubs because I become too attached to the project and I want every single player in the squad to have a huge trophy collection.

On fm11 my Inter side was the best side I ever had on FM, 20 years leading them to glory after glory, had players break Inter records etc, it got tiresome winning all the time but I just couldn't part ways. So I just waited until fm12 came out.

Why is it that the new manager always rips up your good work?

That really annoys me! I got Saints into the Premiership, brilliant players, won the champions league twice in a row. Brilliant youth team that would be ready for the first team in a couple of seasons. Left as I had gone as far I as I could really, within 3 seasons they where back in the Championship.

I nearly cried :(.

+1

It even worst when you build your club around a attacking-passing philosophy, then you have to watch the new manager implementing a new philosophy while disregarding what ever happened before him and even worst he blows the money you saved for that 110 thousand stadium on fooking target men.

I move clubs often, and I only stay if I get the Forest job. In FM11 I managed Farnborough, then Sheffield United and then Barcelona.

Because each move was a significant jump forwards I absolutely loved moving clubs. My wage budgest for Sheffield United was over 10 times that of Farnborough and both were in the Championship.

Then after a very productive few seasons I eventually got the Barcelona job, and again I felt so free to do whatever I wanted, it was probably harder to spend my wage budget than to keep it low, I usually had £2-3 million pounds per week spare, and being Barcelon I could sign 99.99% of all the players in my database.

Never ended up as Forest in that save as FM12 came out, but I've managed to get signed for Forest now and I don't plan on leaving until they've become the most successful club ever.

Probably won't ever get though though, FM13 will probably be out before I get anywhere close to my goals :D.

Im the same, havent managed to get the feeling in FM12 yet, keep starting new games. however in FM11 i did a career game with AC Milan, was 6 seasons in, had won everything possible and brought in some great young players. i got offered the Man Utd job and took it, within 2 weeks of the save i regretted it.

I ended up signing a bunch of Milan players, (well over paying for them) and still didnt enjoy it. ended up reloading one of the backup saves before i took the Man Utd job and didnt look back!

That really annoys me! I got Saints into the Premiership, brilliant players, won the champions league twice in a row. Brilliant youth team that would be ready for the first team in a couple of seasons. Left as I had gone as far I as I could really, within 3 seasons they where back in the Championship.

I nearly cried :(.

I think this phenomenon proves once again just how bad the AI really is at team building and management in general.

The only time i've ever considered moving is when i'd been at Newcastle for 15 years or so. Then, literally on the day I was about to click resign, they announced they were building a new stadium after me! I couldn't leave then :D

Also I wouldn't want to see someone not play the team the way I do.. or they might sell someone, can't be having that!

I now what you mean, im more a Mourinho kind a manager, two/three years in a team and then next project.

What I felt strange was that, at the end of the season 2, loosing only 1 game in the league and reaching the Champions League final (3-2 defeat with Barça...can anyone win this Barça..they are really impossible to beat) i managed to try to coach in Spain and England, Liverpool, Everton, Tottenham, Real Madrid, Atletico, Valencia and Villareal all firing their coaches. And to each and every one they not only hired another coach but severall notices came up with the clubs "laughing" at my attempt to coach them.

That´s not realistic. Ive won the fifth most important league in Europe and went to the UCL final beating City, Bayern, Atletico, Valencia, Liverpool and Man Utd on the way to the final. How could i not be suitable to coach them???

now starting third season in Rennes, let´s see what happens in the summer!

I think this phenomenon proves once again just how bad the AI really is at team building and management in general.

It's as if the game completely ignores what's gone before and does a load of calculations and decides several players who were always in the team during a very successful period should suddenly rot in the reserves. All new managers have their own ideas and like to bring their own players in, but the AI does it in a totally unrealistic way.

They also randomly shuffle shirt numbers around in a stupid way, which annoys me.

On FM11 I spent 6 seasons with Wigan, won the Premiership and signed Neymar etc as well signing some youth players (didn't have one decent youngster come through my own ranks in 6 years!). Only left to manage England - I don't like simultaneous club/national management - and was runner up at Euros, World Cup and Euros again (God I hated finals). After leaving England, I was offered the City job. Did not like it one bit and resigned after 21 matches, undefeated mind (tho not very difficult).

Just had no passion for them. No motivation. No gazumpa.

I get what you mean, OP.

The only time i've ever considered moving is when i'd been at Newcastle for 15 years or so. Then, literally on the day I was about to click resign, they announced they were building a new stadium after me! I couldn't leave then :D

Also I wouldn't want to see someone not play the team the way I do.. or they might sell someone, can't be having that!

oooh this brings back bad memories, 10-12 seasons or something at bremen multiple league and cl success amazing team stadium was at its cap limit 50k or something asked them mulitple times to build a new on they kept planning and then it would randomly cancelled. saved over my game with another save by accident, last roll back was 6months ago so i quit, holidayed took the inter job, went to check what players i could steal of bremen, new 69k seater stadium ><

Know what you mean.

Spent 20-something years at a mexican club, forgot which one, on FM11 and won everything.

Even the Libertadores when i was included in that.

Felt that i had acheived everything i could there, so i decided to move on to Europe.

Was then i realised how smooth everything was when i had built the club up, from the bottom, to the worlds best team.

Everything, with the new club in Europe, went straight to hell. Was struggling big time.

Felt bad for leaving my "creation".

And it's not the first time it's happened. Probably won't be the last either :p

I tend to remain at the same club for the length of a save game. The only time I've moved clubs a few times was on FM2008, and after leaving my first club Tiro Federal, the save game was never the same (although that was also partly because I believe FM08 to be the worst FM game). I always regretted leaving Tiro Federal, especially as Ossie Ardiles quickly ripped up a team that had finished 3rd in the Clausura the previous season, and had qualified for the Copa Sudamericana. Because of the relegation rules in Argentina, it took 3 years of finishing bottom of the table for them to be relegated, which shows what a good job I did.

The only other save games where I've moved were FM2005 from Worcester City to Crewe, and FM2009 from TP-47 in Finland to Lazio. Both were good moves as I took Crewe to the Premier League, and I won the Champions League at Lazio (they were in Serie B when I took over).

I´ve tried starting an unemployed game for a career save and work my way up. I´ve tried starting with a lower league team. I´ve tried starting with a top league team. I´ve tried starting a team I think I know, I´ve tried starting a team I don´t know. I can never get into it. For the last 4 years or so I have been stuck on the same team, Manchester City. Which means I know them better then the back of my hand, and although they weren´t my favorite team when I started playing them, they now are. I started playing them because of the sugar daddy which allowed me to do what I pleased but now I don´t care about that at all, I just love all (or there about) the players in the team which means it has become impossible for me to manage any other team. I am a bit bummed about this but I get alot more bummed if I manage another team so I guess I´m stuck. :p

I know what you mean mate, the season you start you become so attatched to it you've built that team etc and then you go to another team and start again. I've had mixed success with that on my fm saves sometimes I leave and I think to myself why have I done that and other times I'm glad i left when i did

Guest narekmelik

Aren't they also wearing green? I know how you feel, man. I moved from Boca Juniors to Hamburg once after six seasons. It was a terrible decision. Palermo and Palacio were so good together! Good times, good times. Never managed to stay with the same club for so long since.

Aren't they also wearing green? I know how you feel, man. I moved from Boca Juniors to Hamburg once after six seasons. It was a terrible decision. Palermo and Palacio were so good together! Good times, good times. Never managed to stay with the same club for so long since.

No. They wear a very unpleasant shade of yellow, with black trim.

I totally understand.

I just brought Sheffield United from League one to Premier League and after about 10 games I got offered the Real Madrid position. Real had had a little dry spell and they were 12th in the League. Got over 350 million to spent in transfers.

As soon as I clicked Accept Offer I felt bad. I had sold my soul, because IRL I can't stand Real and I like to play by making free transfers and growing own player.

Got that same feeling. Was at Bayern for like 10 years. Hated the german league but I found so many young players to bring up through the youth club that they were all becoming superstars. But I just found the german league too damn easy so I had to leave. Now Im at Chelsea and basically stripping the club apart and trying to bring in new players but damn I miss my old players. Wish I could have taken them with me.

I've had this a few times but the worst case was on FM10 in a journeyman game. Actually it was two-fold, I had managed in France but they/I was awful so left & went to Macclesfield, after that was offered Saints job, who had been relegated from Championship to L1, which I took. 4th season in and we had survived our 1st season in EPL when Villa and Champs League came a-knocking, so I took it. After a couple of months I realised I had made a mistake, but decided that I shouldn't go back to a previous save as you can't in real life so just resigned and ended up at Leverkusen.

I decided to check back with the EPL to see what was going on, only to find that 3 weeks after I left Villa had been taken over by a mega rich new owner and were rolling in it:eek:

So I felt bad about leaving Saints and kicked myself for leaving Villa :rolleyes:

I never move clubs. I want to make sure that the star youth striker who came through my academy stays at the club and becomes the all time top scorer. I want my staff to consist entirely of former players at the club. I want to be listed as a "Legend" on the club info screen. I feel attached to my players, even the David May's of this world. It takes me a long time to really get to know the squad too, and I don't like the feeling of it not being "my" squad.

The downside of this is that along with the preference to stay put, I also get bored when most of the challenge is gone. Once I start winning titles with relative ease the game starts to lose it's charm.

When I get a new computer sometime in the new year and will be able to run more leagues I might try one of those journeyman games which I haven't done since the CM3 engine days (mainly 01/02)

I've not played much since moving clubs, but the feeling is fading since the season started. It still bothers me that a really good squad at Panathinaikos is being ripped apart, but so be it. I'm more excited about the future than anything else now.

I agree it just isn't the same after leaving a team you have been with for a fare few years. I moved clubs a couple of times on FM11 and the save didn't last more than a couple of seasons after that. Career games just don't seem to give me the same buzz as staying with a club for 20-30 years.

I had a rare experience where I'd left my treble winning Greenock Morton side for AC Milan (took me years to get that far) and Craig Levein took over...he basically kept the same players but changed to his preferred formation, and came within 2 minutes of repeating the treble when a 90th minute own goal cost them the league.

It was the following season where his crappy signings took them back to mid-table mediocrity despite their shiny new stadium and red-hot youth prospects (most of whom I then took with me...)

Archived