New to the game

I have had an interest in FM for a good long while, but the iPhone handheld version is my first purchase. Honestly, I'm a bit lost... Looking for a link where I can get a decent introduction to the game, and maybe some place where I can learn more about football in general. Thanks.

Also, any recommended starting advice to get my feet wet and learn the ropes?

• SI Staff

Hi,

Welcome aboard - when you say 'about football in general' do you mean the game, rules etc. or just about the teams and players in real-life?

With regards to starting, initially consider leaving the 'assistant help on' that'll guide you into the game somewhat, your assistant will also offer advice and information when you start looking at renewing contracts and suchlike - use that where applicable.

With regards to tactics either adopt one of those suggested on the forums or leave things 'simple' initially - I'd suggest a 4-4-2 with pressing, hard tackling short passing and everything else set as default ... its a reasonably balanced and sane tactic which should do reasonably well ... as you get to grips with things try tweaking things around slowly, if a change works stick with it - if something doesn't revert back to your last 'sane' tactical setup (part of the trick is to change things slowly and note what has changed whether in terms of personnel or tactics when things start going wrong).

If you have any questions about terms used in the game or specific questions feel free to post them here and either myself or one of the other chaps will do our best to assist you.

Hope this helps,

Marc

For in-depth information on things like tactics, formations, who to play in which positions, etc. check out the Tactics & Training subforum. It's mainly aimed at the PC version, but some of the things apply to the handheld versions also.

The Tactical Theorems & Frameworks for example is an awesome thread, although as I warned, quite in-depth and a lot of it is specific to the PC version.

The FMHVibe fansite has created an in depth guide for FMH11. This is slightly more biased towards PSP players, but I would definitely recommend as a start point. The site requires a free registration, and then you can download it here.

Thanks... will read this as well.

You guys are awesome.

Archived