How does FM use real club names?

Hi, any and all input to this question will be really appreciated.

I've been playing FM for a really long time now, and I've always wondered why some competitions don't have the official names, and why some clubs don't have official logos, kits, or graphics. I found on FM's official Wiki site that some clubs and leagues don't have official logos, kits, and other official graphics, because FM doesn't own the respective licenses, but what about club names?

All clubs have the real names, so does that mean that the licensing is only needed for official graphics, and that the use of club names doesn't require this licensing? What's the loophole here? :)

Thanks

Gino

Use of club names is usually licensed by the national FA they belong to, club badges etc would be licensed by the club presumably, player names are licensed through FIFPRO as you'll read in the splash screens.

Use of club names is usually licensed by the national FA they belong to, club badges etc would be licensed by the club presumably, player names are licensed through FIFPRO as you'll read in the splash screens.

Thanks for the answers so far guys.

Kriss, thanks for the info. I have a question though. If SI does have the FIFPro license to use real player information, then why don't they also use the player's pictures. I presume that the license grants the ability to use the name and likeness of the player. Also, if SI had each country's FA license, why isn't FM using the official competition names. I would also presume here that the license provided by an FA would grant permission to club names and competition names.

Is there maybe a loophole that allows management games like FM to use player names, statistics and club names without requiring a license, as long as trademarked graphics and trademarked league names aren't used? Does anyone know?

I mean I do see way too many poorly produced and mediocre management games out there, that could never afford any licensing, using real club and player names. That can't be a coincidence.

I think the images come under the FA's rather than FIFPRO. The issue is SI do not have a complete license from every FA. Portugal (with SPB, FCP and SPL) being examples of not having a license for club names, Germany being another example. There was a breakdown in one of the blogs over what licenses they have and havent got. It can be found here:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/276024-FM12-blogs-licensing

Hopefully that clears everything up a bit more on what you see and what you do not see.

Archived