Team Talk/Assistant Advice Problem

I wonder if anyone else has had a similar issue to me. I'm managing Panathinaikos and think I've done a pretty good job in getting the club to the Champions League Quarter Finals in my third season. Anyway, we've been drawn against Barcelona. We lost the first leg 2-0 at the Camp Nou. As I type this, I'm currently 1-0 up in the home leg (2-1 down on agg.) at half-time. It's been a great performance to get to 1-0 up at half-time against Barca, who are obviously far better than us. My assistant's team talk advice, however, is "tell them how disappointed we are after watching that rubbish".

This seems a bit harsh! It's not as if we're even playing rubbish. We've competed well against bloody Barcelona and are 1-0 up on the night! Is it just a case of the game not implementing this properly so it sees us as being 2-1 down and this not being good enough?

Rule No1 - Don't rely on your Assistant Manager to either do or give advice regarding team talks. If you do a search you'll see plenty of evidence for this ;)

At best use it as a guide but over-ride with your own view if you feel different. After all, you are the manager and he is the assistant :D

I think I just told them I was pleased with how they were doing in the end. Barca turned it round and won 3-1 (5-1 on agg). I don't think there's any shame in reaching the Quarters with Panathinaikos, though. Won a group that included Man Utd, PSV and Villarreal, and then knocked Inter out in the First Knockout Round.

Archived