Young captain

How young is too young to be a captain?

My current Cap is getting on a bit (and I suspect he has a high dirtiness attribute) and my 22 year old DM is obviously going to get the job eventually.

Will making him a captain have unforseen consequences on his development? Or will my team react badly to having a baby put in charge?

Advise appreciated.

22 is not too young. I had a player bought him in a January transfer window when he was 21, chipped in 35goals that season and I knew he would eventually be captain. When it came to choosing the captain for next season he was about 10th or 11th on the sorted list of people for the job, but i chose him anyway. After one season he was then second on the list, we won the league that season with him putting in exceptional performances.

I would say give the lad a chance, what harm can it do?

I have had a few experiences with this.

I once had a young defensive mid who was my club's best player by far at only 22. My former captain had chucked a wobbly about not playing every game so I decided to release him and promote the kid to captain. He said he was "too young to be captain" and he was never the same. I have no idea why this happened, but hey, I guess he just wasn't up to it. I think his average rating went from ~7.4 the previous season to ~6.7 that season. He recovered once I dropped him, but he was always a ~7.1 player after that.

That left me very cautious about giving kids the armband. For my Rams side on FM10 I had a striker, Simon Gillett (regen) who came through the ranks. He hit 4 goals in a preseason friendly which got him into the main squad at 16. He worked best off the bench at the time, but by his 17th birthday he demanded a starting place. He ended up scoring about a goal a game by 20 years of age and was a club legend at 20 as well. I gave him the armband and he only became better. So its not all bad. Depends on the player really.

Owch! That was NOT popular.

Ex-captain flew home from holiday, kicked down my office door and threatened to kill me. (Or maybe demanded a transfer.)

Vice captain angry because he didn't get the job.

New captain stressed-out and unhappy.

Three players unhappy with my choice.

I'm sure it'll work out in the long run.

Archived