Any way of stopping the following....

Well I have a youngster who has me as favoured personel, the club as favoured but his contract is cming to the end and his agent is refusing to talk to me. He has just agreed to quit internationals for me...he is 20years old, this shows how much he likes me and the team. But it seems I am about to lose him as united just offered him a contract, is there any quick way i can keep him?

This is badly unrealistic IMHO.

In this situation IRL, you'd have a quiet word at the training ground vis a vis the problem agent, and he'd likely be out of the door. The agents are currently just a pain, until they are fixed.

I have now lost the star striker to united. Which just isnt right, Malaga as a favoured club, me as a favoured personel. Commited to the club enough to retire from internationals at the age of 20....and yet leaving for a new club. This would not happen at all

Commited to the club enough to retire from internationals at the age of 20...

Up until that point I sympathized with your situation, but that is simply so not cool. The international scene should be the height of any footballer's career, and the club managers who shut their players away from the experience should be thankful that more team members haven't realized what a buffoon they're playing under.

EDIT: In hindsight, I realize it was a bit rash as I know very well it's just a game. I just tend to get personal on this subject :p

The problem I have is that unless you really do something to upset the player, the agent should at least listen to an offer. They may not accept it for whatever reason, but an agent should at least listen to it. I have had teams (full disclosure, this is an edited league) where I have the ability to offer players 5 times their current wages and the agent won't even open. In real life he would say "my client really isn't interested in a move to your club; however, we will look at your offer as a courtesy" and then see if you make him an offer he can't refuse. If your client is on a 800k a year contract and a club comes in that might offer 4 million a year, you are going to look at that offer no matter what.

Well I have a youngster who has me as favoured personel, the club as favoured but his contract is cming to the end and his agent is refusing to talk to me. He has just agreed to quit internationals for me...he is 20years old, this shows how much he likes me and the team. But it seems I am about to lose him as united just offered him a contract, is there any quick way i can keep him?

Load up FMRTE, destroy the lad, make him useless, and laugh at Man U.. That way it wont exactly benefit you.

I agree with Lenzar. I hope SI implement more interaction with players. For instance, in this example, bypassing the agent and saying to the player "Your in my first team plans and I feel you can become a great at this club. I would like to offer you a bigger/longer contract" and so on. A few items to pick from could let the player know he's wanted and therefore, sack the agent and sign your contract.

I also feel it's really hard to predict how some players react to conversation. Anyone done a guide for this?

Up until that point I sympathized with your situation, but that is simply so not cool. The international scene should be the height of any footballer's career, and the club managers who shut their players away from the experience should be thankful that more team members haven't realized what a buffoon they're playing under.

EDIT: In hindsight, I realize it was a bit rash as I know very well it's just a game. I just tend to get personal on this subject :p

No I agree on the whole international scene being the height of a career and that's why I never normally ask a player to retire unless he is in his 30s and i wants him for a few extra year. The only reason I did it this time was when that united offer came in I wanted to see how committed the boy was to the club, and what better way of testing it?

I still think you read the situation badly & that encouraging the player to quit international football at 20 years old was a bit of a silly gambit which, ultimately, would be a factor in his decision to move to another club (where he CAN play for his country).

I can not try again at a later date though now. As he has agreed to sign for United. Despite Málaga being on course for their 4th title in 5 years. Ahh well he has been dropped to my U19 team for the rest of his days here. Shame he is going, he is going to be so talented.

indeed it is. I will probably leave him at united, or wherever his career takes him. I have a youngster of my own coming through the ranks and this one will be "raised at club (15-21)" instead of 0-21 so is much more valuable to me for the champions league.

Archived