So, Villas-Boas became England manager....

And failed DISMALLY in the qualifying for Euro 2016. England finished 4th out of a group of five, Scotland (yes, Scotland) winning the group, Austria second and Ukraine third. England did manage to finish above Azerbaijan however.

During the campaign they lost to fierce rivals Scotland, both home and away.

I was shocked that he wasn't immediately sacked after the campaign, but put it down to a weird bug perhaps that meant he was only going to be sacked after the European Championships. But they've just finished and he is still in a job.... He didn't take over half way through the qualifying campaign or anything, he was their manager throughout the entire duration of the qualifiers. It's probably the worst England qualifying campaign I've seen in any football manager game I've played, yet he still has a job.

So my question is:

......WTF? :confused:

Very strange. In my save Simon Grayson (I'm not English so I had to look "who the hell") got the England job in 2016, won the qualifiers for next World Cup and the World Cup of 2018 AND DID NOT LOSE A SINGLE GAME, not even friendly.

And....After the Final in July 2018: "England sack Grayson"

Just like IRL England never hires an English manager in ANY of my saves. Hopefully after the Euros they hire a good English manager and maybe turn their fortune around....btw not English or British or even a fan of the national team but it seems England has an abundant of talent but perennial underachievers.

They won't hire anyone decent dont worry. I won the spanish league 3 years in a row. The champions league one of them and the spanish cup 6 times in 7 years. I think thats a crediable record. Add to that my copa america win with Uruguay and the olympics win and I nthink that is good enough to manage England. But no when ever I apply I get laughed off. Just taken the Argentina job instea though, was offered Argentina, Brazil and Italy.

I've seen Steve McClaren take the Arsenal job after the first season. He got sacked about 12 games into the second season.

Ohh great Steve, he took the England job on mine and lead them to World number 1 and World cup winner...not sure how that came about.

The England job has been perculiar in my save. I had Capello stay until 2014, replaced by Carlo Ancelloti who stayed until October 2015. At this point England were top of the group and had qualified for Euro 2016 with ease but Italy had struggled, but still qualified and sacked their manager, so Ancelotti took that job. Enter Jose Mourinho. England with the Special One won Euro 2016. Of course Italy with Ancelotti went out in the group stages so he was sacked. Mourinho decided to end his England reign on a high. Guess who was re-hired?!? Carlo Ancelotti. Who remained as manager until after the World Cup 2020 when he was sacked for only reaching the 2nd round. He was promptly re-hired for a second time by Italy. England meanwhile, they hired Owen Coyle (wtf?) who failed to qualify. Sacked. So was Ancelotti for the second time by Italy. And then Ancelotti became England for a third time. And that's the messed up, freaky story of England so far.

The England job has been perculiar in my save. I had Capello stay until 2014, replaced by Carlo Ancelloti who stayed until October 2015. At this point England were top of the group and had qualified for Euro 2016 with ease but Italy had struggled, but still qualified and sacked their manager, so Ancelotti took that job. Enter Jose Mourinho. England with the Special One won Euro 2016. Of course Italy with Ancelotti went out in the group stages so he was sacked. Mourinho decided to end his England reign on a high. Guess who was re-hired?!? Carlo Ancelotti. Who remained as manager until after the World Cup 2020 when he was sacked for only reaching the 2nd round. He was promptly re-hired for a second time by Italy. England meanwhile, they hired Owen Coyle (wtf?) who failed to qualify. Sacked. So was Ancelotti for the second time by Italy. And then Ancelotti became England for a third time. And that's the messed up, freaky story of England so far.
That's amazing :lol:.

I don't mind the odd little eccentricities in FM as it's difficult to be 100% true to life, but stories like the above seem to be quite common unfortunately and it removes the immersion.

I'm glad to report that he has finally been sacked, but even the timing of that was bizarre.

A couple of months ago he drew to Armenia at home and got battered 4-1 away to Norway.

But the game that sealed his fate, after EVERYTHING, was a 1-0 FRIENDLY defeat away to France.

In the media they explicitly stated that the pressure was off for the match, and that is was just a glorified training session for both manager. It's so weird that after all of the dismal qualifiers he has taken charge of, the loss that gets him the sack is a narrow defeat against the number 2 team in the rankings.

England were at 26 by the way, which is by far the lowest ranking I've ever seen them have in FM, and to give you some idea at how badly the last 4 years have been, they won Euro 2012. So they've gone from European Champions with Cappello to Scotland's bitch with Villas-Boas. Quite remarkable really, I'm pretty sure I could have gotten better results by blindfolding myself and just hitting spacebar over and over.

Eugh, the England job is getting silly now.

13/11/2016: Terry (nearly 36) named new England captain by Mancini.

14/11/2016: Mancini set to drop Terry as captain.

Ridiuclous.

Sounds like IRL really. My favorite managerial appointment on my current save has to be Steve Bruce as Arsenal manager, he was hired straight after Wenger. I guess they wanted a change in style, he's finished 6th twice and still in the job in 2015...

Something does not seem quite right with international appointments. I took on England and won the Euro Championship 2016 with them. I resigned 2 days after the final to take on the Spain job and lead them to World Cup glory. 2 weeks later, England approach me and I tell them to get stuffed. Fast forward 2 years later and I resign after winning the World Cup 2018 with Spain. 2 weeks later...both Spain and England approach me to manage them again.:confused:

It's gone beyond silly now and it's just annoying.

England have won their last 6 matches under Mancini and have qualified for the World Cup, finishing top of their group.

So what do the FA do? They sack him. He qualified for the only major tournament that would fall under his reign, something Villas-Boas never managed, and yet they still sack him. So it seems that not qualifying will let you keep your job as England manager, but if you qualify, you get sacked.

And who do the FA choose to replace him?

Andre Villas-Boas.

UTTERLY, UTTERLY RIDICULOUS.

England have won their last 6 matches under Mancini and have qualified for the World Cup, finishing top of their group.

So what do the FA do? They sack him. He qualified for the only major tournament that would fall under his reign, something Villas-Boas never managed, and yet they still sack him. So it seems that not qualifying will let you keep your job as England manager, but if you qualify, you get sacked.

Andre Villas-Boas.

This just made me Lol at work too so got a few strange looks...How and why would a game be so stupid to do such a thing ?

This just made me Lol at work too so got a few strange looks...How and why would a game be so stupid to do such a thing ?
I found it funny at first and glad it made you laugh, but it's beyond funny for me now.

I'm so pleased that I'm not interested in the England job at the moment because I want to put all my effort into my club job, but usually unless I end up at Forest (which I have done) I always try to get the England job at the earliest opportunity. My reputation is good enough to get it right now and I would be going (even more) balistic if this was happening whilst I was applying.

Can you just imagine if this happened in real life? There would be riotting at the FA's head office, I mean there really would.

And I don't think AVB would be safe to live in England if this train wreck of a situation came true.

• SI Staff

Andre Villas-Boas.

Do you have a save game from just before Mancini's final game in charge of the England side? If so could you please upload the save game to the FTP.

FTP Details - http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/276528-FTP-Instructions

Cheers,

Ben

Do you have a save game from just before Mancini's final game in charge of the England side? If so could you please upload the save game to the FTP.

FTP Details - http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/276528-FTP-Instructions

Cheers,

Ben

I don't have one from just before, he was sacked on 18/10/2017, the closest save I have before that is 14/9/2017, and the closest the other side of his sacking is 5/11/2017.

Are any of those okay?

Archived