Play out of defence/ Play through defence

Are you Italian?

there's a poor translation in the Italian language that makes it confusing.

Play out of defence is an instruction to your own defenders to play short passes to a midfielder.

Play through defence is an instruction to your attacking players to play short pass and move football in an attempt to brake down the opposition defence.

I understand it as following:

Play out of defence: You're instructing the players to play the ball, out of own defence, with a more simple passing.

Play through dfence: You're instructing the players to play through the opposition defence, instead of long shots.

Might be wrong, but that's how i understand it.

-EDIT-

whilewolf beat me to it :D

Thanks for the help, whilewolf grow up. It is easy to see unless you have never got an English GCSE grade before which I doubt you have. Roykela thank you very much :)

whitewolf gave you a perfectly legitimate answer, he wasn't trolling.

Play out of defence, as roykela says, encourages your defenders to play short passes. This contrasts with "pump ball into box", which encourages them to play long passes down the middle of the pitch, and "clear ball to flanks", which encourages them to play long passes to the wings.

Play through defence stops dribbling. All your attacking midfielders and strikers, as well as your most advanced wide players, will have their "run with ball" decreased one notch. Contractingly, "run at defence" increases dribbling for these players.

From wwfan

There are four new shouts:

1: Play Ball out of Defence

2: Run at Defence

3: Play through Defence

4: Hit Early Crosses

Roughly (it's been a while):

1: Minimises passing length in the back two strata

2: Increases dribbling a notch in the top two strata and/or most advanced wide player

3: Decreases dribbling a notch in the top two strata and/or most advanced wide player

4: Increases crossing and reduces cross from a notch for wide players

Archived