corner kick, cleared, the ball always goes back to the corner taker who is OFFSIDE

this is something that has been present since at least last year.

To elaborate: your player takes the corner kick. the defending player clears the ball upfield. meanwhile, the corner taker is making no real effort to get back onside. one of your defenders who collects the cleared ball then kicks it straight to your corner taker.

It happened a good ten times in yesterdays 3 hour session and EVERY time the bloke was offside. thats not an exageration either. is it possible that either the defender knows whether his team mate is offside, or the corner taker makes an effort to get back onside.

please tell me i'm not the only one who has this. or is it my tactics ;)

Don't see that at all? is there a way to alter the tactics creator for taking corners?

i've never touched any of the corner-taking tactics. maybe thats the problem. i just leave it as the default.

i dont mind saying, my blood was boiling yesterday with this. i was having a poor run of games and it just compounds the issue when i'm trying to exert abit more attacking pressure on the other team and i keep getting offside flags.

never happens for the opposition. or at least, not to the same degree.

I haven't tinkered too much with the corner thing.

Isn't there an option to train players to be not in offside positions too?

I was at the Arsenal game the other day and Van Persie had to give out for Walcott being offside all the time.

It's part of the FM11 match engine that was deemed polished enough to retain for 2012. Along with super-powered set pieces, balls hitting players in the back, goal kick - header - one on one and defenders running into a wall of treacle.

In short, you learn to accept and ignore it.

I've found having a player 'offer short option' seems to reduce the amount of times it happens because: (a) if the ball is played short to that player the defenders don't rush out and (b) if the ball is half cleared my player can pass to the player who had been the short option rather than the corner taker.

The advantage/disadvantage is that I'm scoring a lot of goals from the corner being taken short then put on the head of the big defender at the far post. I had left corners on mixed to avoid getting unrealistic amounts of goals at the far post. I don't think it's as many as setting the delivery to far post but probably a little higher than it should be for realism.

I aim for far post from corners (best corner taker) and have a player, best jumper / header attack far post and another in front of keeper. I've not seen any offsides I don't think as you suggest across 3 seasons so far

near post is where a fair few of my defenders get goals.

i got vidic to score a hat trick.. but only 1 was from a corner, 1 was from a cross after a cleared free kick and another a penatly :p

ok i know exactly what you mean, it gets cleared to the defender hanging back, who picks up the loose ball and passes to the guy in the open, aka corner taker, mine was doing that but kept getting back onside beforehand.

i'm hesitant to make any changes to the corner taking routine incase i stumble across the corner bug which allows your defender to score loads of goals. i'd rather have loads of offsides than a high scoring defender. of course, i'd rather neither, but there you go :)

This bug was fixed in an FM11 patch. Arguably though in FM12 the corner taker is too accurate. In either case I'm not scoring loads of goals from corners and there are plenty of AI teams with high conversion rates each seson

Yes, it is very annoying.

Another annoying, but less common thing is when the ball gets cleared back to the corner taker and instead of him crossing the ball straight back in, while all my big defenders are in the box, he lets it go out for a throw in and therefore killing the momentum and the chance to make something happen as then the defenders go back. That tactic would only be useful for Stoke.

Yes, it is very annoying.

Another annoying, but less common thing is when the ball gets cleared back to the corner taker and instead of him crossing the ball straight back in, while all my big defenders are in the box, he lets it go out for a throw in and therefore killing the momentum and the chance to make something happen as then the defenders go back. That tactic would only be useful for Stoke.

i have found that using the 'cross balls early' shout, that would stop this from happening. also stops players from trying to run along the goalline, into the penalty area, instead of crossing it although i would epect the players to cross early *sometimes* without me having to explicity tell them.

• 1 month later...

Here's the deal... I had this happening to me all the time, so my corner instructions are as follow: 1 player offer short pass option, 1 CB in near post and the other at far post, 1 player lurking outside area and one to pressure on the opponent's goalie, one more coming out from the back and all the others to stay back at all times. End result: no more offsides right after a corner kick and no more balls in the back of my net following a corner kick in my favour. Which is, BTW, one of those things to make me really ill, my players taking on a corner and suffering a goal on the counter. :)

I have a player lurking outside the box who has the ppm shoots from distance and I usually dont have this problem, and getting cool looking goals are a bonus. Even if the lurker doesnt have the ppm, he will still usually not pull the corner kicker offsides since he'll wait for a better angle to pass it back to him after the clearance if he passes to him at all (tough to get the ball to the corner kicker from right outside box with all the defenders in between), its more likely that he drops it back to the retreating CB's instead

Yeah me too. I vary my set pieces as well but may start putting some one lurking on the edge of area with long shots often after reading Slich's post to see if it helps. If not the next player to stand offside like this will be sold or put on full aerobic training until his contract expires.(only joking although that is how I feel abut them sometimes)

• 1 month later...

Quite infuriating. Why can't SI get corners right? They always have problems.

I leave my corners on default so that the corner bug doesn't get abused, because of this I have to suffer ******** players.

Wow, really? That word gets censored...

Quite infuriating. Why can't SI get corners right? They always have problems.

I leave my corners on default so that the corner bug doesn't get abused, because of this I have to suffer ******** players.

Wow, really? That word gets censored...

The way PaulC explained it was that they've reached the limits of tweakability on corners, which is one reason they're working on a new ME version.

Archived