Board lowered my salary :(

So, i took over Saarbrucken, only managed 28 games of the season. Took them from 20th to finishing 9th, went as high as 6th. The board takes out a 6.5m loan I guess to help pay off the 5.5m loan they had previously. They then proceed a couple of days later and cut my wages from 85k/w to 70k/p. Now, I'm forced to pretty much gut the team, which has a lot of players with wages that seem to be pretty outrageous, and basically make the team up of my younger players, I'm talking most of them are going to be u19's playing senior level football.

This is the German Division 3. Bundesliga I believe is the league name, correct me if I'm wrong please. Granted, my profile is semi-professional, regional reputation, but I took over a team that would have been relegated and finished it at above mid table, and that's all I get out of all that? I'm also now placed 18th for the start of the season, relegation candidates.

The expectation the board has for me is to finish top half for this new campaign, which is actually the first I will be judged on. Currently, I'm head hunting my highest paid players, releasing them on frees, and will use my youth kids in their place. I've always been told it's a bad idea to do that, but with no money, I have no other option. Thankfully, I have a great youth coach, and a great youth program with this team, so we'll see what happens.

I'm using Mr Hough's Boots to asses tactic, with his second take, the swarm, as my back up tactic for when the slumps start.

Saarbrucken were basically the only ones to accept an application I sent out. I had England, Scotland, Germany, France, Italy, and the US all active, and this was the only team to take a chance. I guess that's how they see it, taking a chance on a virtual no name to take over a club that they know is struggling. Maybe this is more realistic than I first thought, I just wanted to see what other people thought about it.

I guess it's normal, but I think I got hired to a team/division above my own weight class, being a semi pro former player now manager of a professional German 3rd Division team.

Do some heavy scouting for free players. I would release anyone on an astronomically high wage, release any rubbish prospects (likely to be most if not all of them), and focus on building a 21-man squad of free transfers. Retain anyone who is half decent but on an acceptable wage or who is a good utility player, release them if you get a squad good enough afterwards. Get them on a 24/30 month contract so you don't have to worry about the best ones leaving for free at that awful period when you turn professional and struggle to reach their demands for pro contracts, but also means you can release/sell any deadwood at minimum loss. Consolidate first season if they don't gel quickly, then build for top-half/play-offs after that. Scouting is key in this sort of situation imo.

That's how I'd play it anyway, hope it goes well for you... other than against my old local team Bielefeld! (Assuming they're still lurking in 3. Liga...)

Oh they are still lurking, but when I took over the squad, the first game I beat em 6-1, the next was 4-0. Sorry :), were storming games for my squad though. Most of those players are gone though, they had huge wages.

The team is already professional, just not seeing professional level money yet. I am, but it's being absorbed in those stupidly high loans (the 5.5 and the 6.5m loans).

I've already gained a few good free players, and I'm looking for more. However, I'm not finding any for the positions I need, which is making things a big tough, but I have decent depth for now.

I had the exact same situation mate. Had just gotten Canvey Island promoted to League 1, with a wage budget of £12.5k a week (which was a miracle enough!).

Unfortunately the club was struggling for cash, as the board had decided the previous season to build a new stadium, and took out a £5.5million loan to pay for it.

This meant my budget for the new season in League 1 was... £11.5k a week!

Was considering chucking it, until I managed to sell one of my best players for £750k to Norwich. The board immediately pumped up the wage budget to £28k a week, without me even asking.

As such, now sitting in 4th having been able to re-sign my best players to new contracts, and even bring in a couple of guys.

Stick it out mate, it's worth it in the long run!

I had the exact same situation mate. Had just gotten Canvey Island promoted to League 1, with a wage budget of £12.5k a week (which was a miracle enough!).

Unfortunately the club was struggling for cash, as the board had decided the previous season to build a new stadium, and took out a £5.5million loan to pay for it.

This meant my budget for the new season in League 1 was... £11.5k a week!

Was considering chucking it, until I managed to sell one of my best players for £750k to Norwich. The board immediately pumped up the wage budget to £28k a week, without me even asking.

As such, now sitting in 4th having been able to re-sign my best players to new contracts, and even bring in a couple of guys.

Stick it out mate, it's worth it in the long run!

Seems like a bug. Had the exact same thing happen to me. I get promoted to League 2 in England, and board decides we need a new stadium (nope, we didnt) and takes a huge loan. My wage budget is cut and the club has insecure status now. The loan amount is also totally unrealistic considering it's several times higher than what the club is worth.

Seems like a bug. Had the exact same thing happen to me. I get promoted to League 2 in England, and board decides we need a new stadium (nope, we didnt) and takes a huge loan. My wage budget is cut and the club has insecure status now. The loan amount is also totally unrealistic considering it's several times higher than what the club is worth.

Maybe not a bug. Maybe just a stupid board and chairman. Got dollarsigns in their eyes when they got promoted and thought the fanbase would grow like crazy. A stupid board that might even ruin a club (Leeds!) exists IRL, why not ingame?

85k/w to 70k?

70,000? Thats the pay(in game) of being at a PL club in your 2nd /3rd year

The team is listed as professional, as are all the teams in the German 3rd division up to 1st. There are only 3 divisions to play in anyway for Germany, so I guess it's the equivalent of the top 3 divisions in England, but of course the reputation isn't quite the same.

My team does fairly well at the moment, even with 5 injuries, and 4 17yr olds starting. I do have excellent players whose potential are mostly 4 1/2 to 5 stars according to my assistant manager (De Roo from Holland). I found some good deals, and have quite the talented u19's team with guys I hope will make a great addition to my starting team in a few years. Lots of talent in Germany from what I've seen so far.

Maybe I shouldn't complain about the salary lowering, but they have a 4.5 mil loan they aren't done paying, and took that 6.5m loan at just about the start of the season. No reason behind it, they just took it out.

Lol! Yes guys, team wages not manager :).

First contract I had when I took the team over was for 3,300. After I finished in 9th last season, they gave me a new one, then an extension a week later and I'm now making 5,570 and will be there until 2015 or 2016 somewhere around there. They must have really enjoyed it when I took the team over and dug them outta the hole the previous manager dug them into, financially and by team performance.

Archived