Struggling! iPhone FM2012

I bought this app with high hopes, but I am really struggling!

Regular on the desktop version but it feels like any knowledge you have on that version of the game goes out the window. I started a game with man utd who I have gone on 45 win streak in my first season on the pc version but really struggling on this version. Struggling to beat Barnsley, just beating Luton and then getting whooped by man city the stoke.

Anyone have any general tips?

• SI Staff

I'd keep it simple initially, use something fairly basic as a formation - say a 4-4-2 and use default tactical roles or set them sensibly according to the player profiles where practical (ie. don't have two people set as Poachers up front, try and play complementary roles for each 'unit' on the pitch - ie. in attack say have a poacher and a target man, in central midfield try and ensure one role is more attacking, the other more defensive or both balanced etc.).

If you're playing as Utd you've got a quality squad available - I'm sure you'll find your feet, if not take a look at some of the recomended tactics posted on this forum, they might help inspire you?

It seems to have worked wonders, kept things standard at the start and got some good pre-season victories and ground out some victories at the start of the season.

One thing I've really noticed is you seem to have to change your formation a lot more on this version of FM, in order to account for the opposition and the football they play. I find myself playing 4-3-3/4-5-1 against those who try and dominate the middle of the park, otherwise i seem to get absolutely battered with my 4-4-2.

This differs completely to the desktop version where by i rarely change my formation other than the odd away tie in europe.

Two things to take account of. One is team form. Once your team is on a roll, it's easier to go on unbeaten runs, therefore it's important to be solid early on. Second is that unless your team is MUCH better than the opposition, tactics control the game. So if the computer plays a formation that tends to beat 4-4-2 (think rock, paper, scissors) you need to play a formation that counters theirs. Sometimes it isn't obvious what this might be :) However, once you have a world class team, as long as the formation suits the players, you can impose your will on other teams. But be prepared to change formation when playing in the Champions League.

Archived