Who is your FM sweetheart?

So I'm wondering which players you guys love. Those players that you absolutely must sign and when you do you don't want them to ever leave and why you don't wanna see them go.

Personally mine is Billy Sharp.

I'm sure some of you on here have heard about the tragic loss of Billy's 2 day old son a few months back and how he requested to play the week after and scored the winning goal.

Out of my respect I decided to purchase him in FM. He became my top goal scorer and was the reason my Hull side won the championship.

For a long time it was Carlos Vela, who in FM 2008, despite being a journeyman at best in RL, somehow went on to develop into the best player in the world. Seriously. But since then in subsequent editions he has sadly never repeated this incredible feat. Now I regard his atrocious, wasteful forward play with nothing but disdain, and he can rot on loan to Salamanca in the Spanish second division for all I care. You broke my heart, Carlos.

For a long time it was Carlos Vela, who in FM 2008, despite being a journeyman at best in RL, somehow went on to develop into the best player in the world. Seriously. But since then in subsequent editions he has sadly never repeated this incredible feat. Now I regard his atrocious, wasteful forward play with nothing but disdain, and he can rot on loan to Salamanca in the Spanish second division for all I care. You broke my heart, Carlos.

I was going to say Carola Vela too, and in fact, I think you should give him another shot. He's got pace, composure and stays cool as a cucumber in high pressure matches: the perfect title contender poacher.

I was going to say Carola Vela too, and in fact, I think you should give him another shot. He's got pace, composure and stays cool as a cucumber in high pressure matches: the perfect title contender poacher.

I appreciate what you are saying, but frankly, watching him slam it into the side netting for the umpteenth time when two players were arriving unmarked for the square ball is just too painful. *sniffle*

My favourite player from FM11 was Agustin Torassa. He cost 14k to loan for a season, always wanted to come, and always had a close to goal-to-game efficiency ratio for me. I signed him to Schalke where he did more than his share to win me the title first season.

Also Emmanuel Emenike was a sort of "sweetheart" for me, but playing him felt a bit like cheating...

I had a Greek regen called Alexandros Oikonomidis in FM10, played AMC and was the best player I have ever seen on anyone's save. Bought him from PAOK as soon as he entered the game (£1.8m fee), and he just became insanely good. He would get at least 30 goals & 30 assists in the league alone every season, sometimes getting 35/40 of each in a particularly good season. I love him so much I'm tempted to edit a player on my FM12 save with his stats and attributes just so I can manage 'him' again.

Same sort of situation with Jorg Oswald, another German/Spanish regen I had. Bought for £975k from Augsburg at the age of 17, he became my favourite player and the best left-back on the game, before I sold him to Real Madrid for £30.5m at the age of 30.

In terms of real players, I liked managing Nicolas Lodeiro and in the lower leagues Ben Whelehan is my favourite player. I've always wanted to manage Jeremy Mathieu as he was always my first signing in any PES save I would have as a young lad, but I can't bring myself to manage in the dull Spanish league.

Ruben Yttergård Jenssen is a player I sign whenever I can afford him. His potential fluctuates between games but whenever I sign him I never want to sell him, our club always becomes on his favourite club list and I always become part of his favoured personnel. A match made in heaven.

Ognjen Vukojevic, I don't "always" buy him, but I love rocks you can build a team around... and in FM11 on my Newcastle save we made it to the Champion's league and drew Madrid in the groups, he got sent off for an horrendous challenge on Cristiano Ronaldo, he got 2 games off, Ronaldo had a season ending knee injury. I mean, in real life, I would hate a guy who did that, but it is just a game....

I appreciate what you are saying, but frankly, watching him slam it into the side netting for the umpteenth time when two players were arriving unmarked for the square ball is just too painful. *sniffle*
It isn't just Vela who does that to be fair.

Even players I've trained to look for the pass rather than the shot always go for the shot. I have a winger with 7 for finishing (fantastic stats otherwise though) who has said preferred move but he never, ever passes it.

Eden Hazard. What a player! In my Arsenal save, he's a lock for a 7.+ rating and either an assist or a goal (or both). He's set records for most assists and MoM's in a season multiple times.

I also love Yann M'Vila, but I couldn't justify buying him with Arsenal because we were set at DM and in general don't need any extra midfielders (at least not at that price).

Iker Muniain - first discovered him in fm11 (as im sure alot of people did) and what a beast he is. I play him as the lone poacher in a 4-5-1 and hes just a monster. the amount of dribbles from the halfway line is insane.

Back in FM09 it was Sergio Aguero - broke His Royal Thierryness' goal record for my arsenal team and was the first team i ever "clocked" FM with. I won every domestic trophy, broke every record, all european trophys and records, then got made England manager and won the euros and world cup. I died a little inside seeing him sign for City this year.

Pablo Piatti and Chung Yong Lee in 2011

also Fernando Torres in 2007 since i always played with Atletico de Madrid or Roma,but then he only scored something like 1 goal in 20 games(no joke),

i kept rejecting 50 mil+ offers for him hoping that he would get back on form(one of which was a 53.5 mil made by chelsea :D),he never did,the club started going down the league table,and i was fired because of him :(.

Villi Savolainen. Have never seen his name mentioned on these forums but whenever I do not manage a top team he is the first player to join. Best of all: He is a free agent at the start of FM12!

In most saves he ends up being my most reliable player and captain after a couple of seasons.

The two players i've just gotta buy now are:

Eden Hazard - he never fails for me and always gets a high rating.

Iker Muniain - discovered him last year and he's now my first purchase - although in my second season and despite him playing stupidly well he just cant seem to get a callup to the spanish national team (he was the Premier league top scorer and he's in the top 3 of this seasons (were are two games behind everyone so i'm sure he'll top it again).

as i manage in Scotland i teand to try sign a quaterlet of players.

Jamie Murphy (Motherwell)

Tom Hateley (Motherwell)

David Templeton (Hearts)

Greg Wylde (Rangers)

As i teand to manage Rangers i save myself one signing. But the creativity and goals from those 4 is phenominal.

Enzo Scorza, ever since he took me (with Lincoln) from League 2 to UEFA Cup glory in FM08 I always try to bring him with me to different clubs in either new, or career, games. He carved out a nice career at Charlton (later becoming manager) in '11.

Not had a chance to sign this time around so far, as he doesn't seem to fancy playing in either the Russian first, or Welsh Premier, divisions :(

Although on my current save, it's Fergus Bell (ex-Hibs and GH Academy, according to Google), who's joined Maidenhead in the BSS and is now single-handedly dragging a team predicted 22nd kicking and screaming to the title. Finishing 5, Composure 6, and 22 goals in 25 competitive games.

I'm just waiting for him to get crocked.

Eder on FM10 for me. He inspired my Forest team to a lucky Premier League title despite us being amongst the favourites for the drop which then led to a few more trophies and an influx of talent from Rooney and Dzeko to the best regens on the game. He scored 40+ goals in the first title winning season and was still hitting 20 a season when I sold him to Valencia. Another favourite is Porarin Brynjar Kristjannson on CM03/04. An absolute God.

On FM11 a little (and I mean little, Just over 5 feet!) Macedonian regen called Igorce Apostolovski. I was Real Madrid manager and I found this 17 year old myself playing for Vaslui in Romania. Signed him for a couple of million and the man was a monster. I loved him, the fans loved him and almost all of the squad had him as favoured personnel. I believe he was a bit of a joker in the changing room. Despite his terrible finishing and composure stats, he scored and created loads playing just behind Higuain. Probably the best ever (fake) Macedonian footballer ever!

Mine has to be Nicolas Otamendi. Started on FM09 when he cost 3 or 4 mill from Velez and he did a job for me at any club, in most positions. Then last year he was brilliant when i dominated Europe with Porto and then when i signed him for Valencia last year aswell he was an absolute rock when i had 3 great seasons there. Can get him for 11million this year, sign him whenever i can.

Not necessarily a favourite from every game, but my favourite player in FM11 was Khouma Babacar. He was an absolute monster of a complete forward, created and scored so many goals.

Pretty dismayed to see how bad he is in FM12, he'd struggle to do well in any of the top leagues, not sure he'd even be that good in 2nd divisions.

Archived