Actually a Forum request.......

Could we PLEASE have "Preview Post" added?

I can't tell you how many times I've messed up a post by not finishing tags properly, or putting wrong links in wrong places, and only found out when its been posted, and had to do the whole post again.

With preview post, I'd spot these mistakes before I actually posted, saving a lot of time.

What does everyone else think?

Could we PLEASE have "Preview Post" added?

I can't tell you how many times I've messed up a post by not finishing tags properly, or putting wrong links in wrong places, and only found out when its been posted, and had to do the whole post again.

With preview post, I'd spot these mistakes before I actually posted, saving a lot of time.

What does everyone else think?

Excellent idea.

icon14.gif

If no, perhaps allowing the 'edit' function, but with a 'one strike and you're out' policy for anyone abusing it. Unless it's not possible to set individual permissions, rather than rank ones; or if there's a more serious reason why it's disabled, that I don't know about.

Certain icon14.gif to this, if it's possible, though.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hershie:

Excellent idea.

icon14.gif

If not, perhaps allowing the 'edit' function, but with a 'one strike and you're out' policy for anyone abusing it, would be worth atleast a trial. Unless it's not possible to set individual permissions, rather than rank ones; or if there's a more serious reason why it's disabled, that I don't know about.

Certain icon14.gif to this, if it's possible, though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh the irony. icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hershie:

Excellent idea.

icon14.gif

If not, perhaps allowing the 'edit' function, but with a 'one strike and you're out' policy for anyone abusing it, would be worth atleast a trial. Unless it's not possible to set individual permissions, rather than rank ones; or if there's a more serious reason why it's disabled, that I don't know about.

Oh the irony. icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Point proved icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NepentheZ:

Excellent idea.

icon14.gif

Oh the irony. icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Point proved icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Or how about a Mrs Doyle-like 'Are you sure?', 'Are you sure you want to do that now?', 'Are you really sure you want to post that, father?' type message, so you also avoid accidently posting too early, or prompting you to proof-read. icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by joeyt:

I agrre.

Also come up with a way to check that if you put something in the wishlist it hasn't already been said without going through 40-odd pages of posts </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think you're asking a bit much there. icon_biggrin.gif

The only thing that can be done for the wish list is this...

When the new wish list topic is opened, (or lets just open a new one) - members have the ability to edit post 1 - so that the idea's mentioned in the topic are listed in a brief bullet point format, under different categories.

E.G

OP-

Stats

<LI>Top 5 Club Scorers

<LI>Top 5 Club Assists (etc)

Skins

<LI>New Skin Feature 1

<LI>New Skin Feature 2

And so on, and so forth, just like, a brief overview / guide on whats already been mentioned, and the response its got.

This may cause carnage, but...

How about moving to a different forum then? Sure, people will complain that their post count or whatever might be reset, but I think the majority of people will give it up to be able to preview posts or, god forbid, edit posts

Or maybe something less controversial, get the people who do make the forum software to make a few changes?

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">How about moving to a different forum then? Sure, people will complain that their post count or whatever might be reset, but I think the majority of people will give it up to be able to preview posts or, god forbid, edit posts </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's not always just as simple as moving software. There are a lot of things to take into consideration. We do have some plans in place for the future of the forums though that should be happening soon.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Or maybe something less controversial, get the people who do make the forum software to make a few changes? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's not simple either. We can't force the people who create the software to implement a feature. All we can do is make suggestions.

Just like you guys can't force us to implement something into FM, although your suggestions are still welcome icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">How about moving to a different forum then? Sure, people will complain that their post count or whatever might be reset, but I think the majority of people will give it up to be able to preview posts or, god forbid, edit posts </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's not always just as simple as moving software. There are a lot of things to take into consideration. We do have some plans in place for the future of the forums though that should be happening soon.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Or maybe something less controversial, get the people who do make the forum software to make a few changes? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's not simple either. We can't force the people who create the software to implement a feature. All we can do is make suggestions.

Just like you guys can't force us to implement something into FM, although your suggestions are still welcome icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So basically, you're saying, no matter what we suggest... you're going to do what you want icon_biggrin.gif

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">So basically, you're saying, no matter what we suggest... you're going to do what you want </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, I just said we couldn't be "forced" to do stuff. We discuss and consider an awful lot of suggestions from the community. icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">So basically, you're saying, no matter what we suggest... you're going to do what you want </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, I just said we couldn't be "forced" to do stuff. We discuss and consider an awful lot of suggestions from the community. icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ter, why can't we edit our posts?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Ter, why can't we edit our posts? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ITs been abused in the past. Id like this feature but I wouldn't want SI to get new software etc just for it.

icon14.gif to the original idea.

Ter, for large enough software contracts, companies often are willing to add features for other companies.

I'm not sure this would qualify; but its certainly a possibility to put to the developer in those terms: "This feature is important enough that we are considering changing vendors."

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by htfc_ttid@yahoo.co.uk:

This hosting software does certainly seem to have it's limitations.

Edits, previews, polls and the like would be nice. icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Edits and Polls are a possibility. Previewing posts isn't. Unless it's been added and I don't know about it icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by htfc_ttid@yahoo.co.uk:

This hosting software does certainly seem to have it's limitations.

Edits, previews, polls and the like would be nice. icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Edits and Polls are a possibility. Previewing posts isn't. Unless it's been added and I don't know about it icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Perhaps, and this is just a wild stab in the dark here icon_biggrin.gif

You give me MOD capabilities, so that I can edit my own posts icon_smile.gif

That way, I no longer care about the Preview Post feature. icon14.gif

Failing that, I'm not exactly an expert with sites, but I know my fair share, and considering a whole host of FREE forums have this feature, along with things like WebWiz, I cant imagine it too difficult to implement.

A friend of mine is a web designer, I could get him to code it for you to enter it, of course only if the host would allow it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by backpackant:

Maybe there could be some sort of search facility? That way people could look up subjects so there aren't 18 posts a day on the same subject.

Wait... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

that's just TOO logical to actually work icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Neji:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Ter, why can't we edit our posts? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ITs been abused in the past. Id like this feature but I wouldn't want SI to get new software etc just for it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can I ask how it was abused. I really don't see how can you abuse it?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Neji:

ITs been abused in the past. Id like this feature but I wouldn't want SI to get new software etc just for it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Abuse editing your own posts? I don't get it...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DietSpam:

Abuse editing your own posts? I don't get it... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was abused by people swearing and abusing other people and then editing their posts afterwards so as not to get caught by mods. And this was when the forums were relatively sane so god knows what would happen if people were allowed to edit their posts these days.

Archived