Too Many top players rotting in the Reserves??

I am at the end of the 3rd season and was looking through the Premier League Clubs and was astounded how many top quality players are rotting away in the Reserves. Drogba, Sturridge and Cech at Chelsea. Lennon at Tottenham. Wilshire was in the Reserves for 2 years at Arsenal but is now in the first team. Van Persie (only 30) and Benayoun at Arsenal. Kolarov, De Jong, Di Maria, Balotelli and Zabaletta at Man City. Cahill at Everton The list goes on and on. Yes Drogba and Zabaletta are getting on a bit but Cech is only 32 so young for a keeper and even if they are past their sell by date surely they would move elsewhere? Especially Srurridge and Ballotelli wwho IRL are two of the top prospects in the game.

I have tried to sign one or two but even though I finished 5th they have no interest. Maybe they are happy picking up their paypackets in the reserves but surely players like this wouldn't hang around for over a season in the reserves. Any ideas?

I am at the end of the 3rd season and was looking through the Premier League Clubs and was astounded how many top quality players are rotting away in the Reserves. Drogba, Sturridge and Cech at Chelsea. Lennon at Tottenham. Wilshire was in the Reserves for 2 years at Arsenal but is now in the first team. Van Persie (only 30) and Benayoun at Arsenal. Kolarov, De Jong, Di Maria, Balotelli and Zabaletta at Man City. Cahill at Everton The list goes on and on. Yes Drogba and Zabaletta are getting on a bit but Cech is only 32 so young for a keeper and even if they are past their sell by date surely they would move elsewhere? Especially Srurridge and Ballotelli wwho IRL are two of the top prospects in the game.

I have tried to sign one or two but even though I finished 5th they have no interest. Maybe they are happy picking up their paypackets in the reserves but surely players like this wouldn't hang around for over a season in the reserves. Any ideas?

You're spot on. Cech and Balotelli for example will be on massive contracts and probably won't sign for the relative 'peanuts' that you can afford to offer them. Realistic and unrealistic at the same time in my opinion. Not entirely sure which side I come down on there.

I've noticed this too, especially at Man City. Something not to dissimilar, regarding squad and players career managment is top clubs inability to develop promising youngsters. Currently playing against Liverpool in October 2015, Raheem Sterling is 20, and it says he will make his debut if brough on as a sub. Thankfully I'm manager of England and have handed him 2 caps, both in which he has excelled.

Just really annoys me that the AI just ruins players careers. Especially youngsters, as when you go to buy, say Sterling at 24, he hasn't developed anywhere near like what he would have under human control and his potential is lost.

Sorry to double post, but I think it's highly relevant.. just had a look at the Man City reserve team; David Silva's last league game for City was 4 seasons ago! Lenny Nangis, a promising youngster at the start is now 21 - having been brought for £2.6 in opening season he has yet to play a game for them; yet both of these players since renewed thier contracts and have 'superb' morale.

Throw in here Soulemayne Coulibaly of Tottenham, Man City brought him opening season. In that season he made 3 sub apperances, scoring two goals, average rating of 7.5. I'm now in October 2015 and he hasn't played a game for them since.

tevez is in city reserves.

On my game Tevez has played 40+ games for the last 4 seasons and looks to do the same as a 31yo in the 5th. Don't mean to keep on, but Mario Balotelli has only just been released in June 2015. Featuring only 15 times for them on the game, all in opening season. Saying that he has averaged around 6.5 at loan spells at Villereal and Sevilla since, and looks to be doing the same at Sevilla now. What a waste

there is also cunningham in city reserves, who is premier league standard i believe

Denis as well, yet to play for them. All of his good years of development have been wasted. AGGH - getting angry talking about it.

Luca Scapuzzi, rated quite highly in real life, has retierd from the game due to City p issing his career up the wall.

most bizare one yet.... asante in birmingham reserves. stockport scout said he was premier league potential... why on earth is he sat in a championship sides reserves O.O

I rescued Jack Butland's career start of 2014/15 from Birmingham. He was sat in thier reserves, and has since become my number one. Took his opportunity when Tim Krul was out for a month or so at end of his first season, and played so well it has seen me sell Krul. Partly becuase I brought in Stergen for £2.5m, far too good of a price to turn down, but even now he's outshining the German everyone seems to love.

If it wasn't for that he'd still be number 3 at Birmingham behind Foster and Doyle. Madnessss

In fairness there are human managers who end up with massive squads and just have to leave certain players in the reserves so at least they're playing. Not an issue due to the lack of a reserve league in Scotland though :mad: SPL/SFA.

It does generally allow the human player to pick up the odd bargain (almost got Adam Johnston for Bolton on my first game, they took him off the transfer list as soon as my new budget was announced though!)...so while strange certainly, the odd bargain can't be bad.

Guest narekmelik

That is just terrible coaching. Sell them when you feel that they won't be useful anymore. It's so weird to see such players rotting in reserves.

Balotelli is a perfect example. Every week I get a News item that he has had a row with the Manager. There is then a News item that asks the public if he should be in the first team which is irritating as it's every week. I then make a comment of admiring him to try and buy him but he snaps that he only is interested in HIS managers views not others!!! What, after rowing with him and sitting in the Reserves for 2 years!!!!

Also when I sell certain players they insist I pay them a certain percentage of their wages until their contract runs out but I never see it the other way around. I can never sign say Adebayor because of his outrageous wage demands and never see him sign for me for say 90 grand per week but City pay the rest.

I manage a team in Sweden and are often forced to sell some of my best players (they all want to move on to better leagues, of course). I often check out my former stars and see what the AI made of them, and almost invariably they are given some subs in their first season, second season reserves + transfer list and set to not needed. Usually for a fraction of what they bought them from me for. Occationally I've bought some of them back, but in FM12 there's no point with all the world class 20 year olds that are out of contracts... :)

Sorry to double post, but I think it's highly relevant.. just had a look at the Man City reserve team; David Silva's last league game for City was 4 seasons ago! Lenny Nangis, a promising youngster at the start is now 21 - having been brought for £2.6 in opening season he has yet to play a game for them; yet both of these players since renewed thier contracts and have 'superb' morale.

Throw in here Soulemayne Coulibaly of Tottenham, Man City brought him opening season. In that season he made 3 sub apperances, scoring two goals, average rating of 7.5. I'm now in October 2015 and he hasn't played a game for them since.

That just highlights two bits of shoddy A.I. Not only are top class players who could play in winning teams, earning good money, happy to rot in the reserves but the clubs are happy to spend vast sums on wages and signing on fees for players they have no use for whose value is dropping every season.

Only the greediest, laziest, most overpaid and unmotivated players should be willing to run their contracts down with no chance of first team football.I'm thinking of you Danny Mills.

The Clubs should be franticly trying to get them out the door with loan offers, paying part wages dropping their asking price anything it takes.

Also when I sell certain players they insist I pay them a certain percentage of their wages until their contract runs out but I never see it the other way around. I can never sign say Adebayor because of his outrageous wage demands and never see him sign for me for say 90 grand per week but City pay the rest.

This has annoyed me for a while too.

Archived