verge of giving up!

Well after my succesful time at grimsby town currently in league 1 i seem to be able to do nothing, signings come in which are meant to strengthen the squad and no - i try different tactics, use the same pre game team talks i always have and i even hold team meetings like crazy but nothing seems to be getting them up to anything near competitive - i even have a loosing streak at home games!

I try houghs new tactics, i try mininal fuss's latest tactic and tbh nothing works any better than any other.

Anyone got any ideas of what i can try?

Bear in mind budget is appauling!

P.S sorry if this is in the wrong forum i didnt know where to write it

Thanks

I'd imagine that constant changing tactics that the players are unused to won't really help...also constant team meetings and saying the same thing in team talks will make them lose their impact.

Plus, I'd imagine that you're struggling as you're now in League 1 having started out much lower. A struggle is no doubt to be expected. Just try to turn it around. I'd keep going until they sack you. Don't shy away from a challenge!

Yeah, I used to have the same sort of trouble as the OP. I'd be changing tactics almost every match, but now that I'm a bit wiser I've realised that it's better to have an average tactic and stick to it rather than changing tactics and tweaking every game.

Better to have a good tactic and stick with it of course :cool:.

When nothing works = you cant stop conceeding and can hardly score playing defansively with counter attacks works nice. Resist temptation to attack stronger teams. Set deep defense, narrow(er) tactics, counter attacks, wide midfielfers to run with the ball. You want fast striker /and amc in attack, hardworking if possible. I would also play some form of 4 - 5 - 1 tactics which allows at least 9 players to work in defence. If defence just sucks its absolutely necessery to field anchor DM.

Also put striker on closing down often to disrupt oponnents deep playmakers.

If you don't coneede you can't lose, and you will eventually score. Go for 1-0 or 2-1 wins. Works nicely for me, trying to save Hansa Rostock from relegation in my game.

When nothing works = you cant stop conceeding and can hardly score playing defansively with counter attacks works nice. Resist temptation to attack stronger teams. Set deep defense, narrow(er) tactics, counter attacks, wide midfielfers to run with the ball. You want fast striker /and amc in attack, hardworking if possible. I would also play some form of 4 - 5 - 1 tactics which allows at least 9 players to work in defence. If defence just sucks its absolutely necessery to field anchor DM.

Also put striker on closing down often to disrupt oponnents deep playmakers.

If you don't coneede you can't lose, and you will eventually score. Go for 1-0 or 2-1 wins. Works nicely for me, trying to save Hansa Rostock from relegation in my game.

I have great success taking advantage of being an underdog in almost every match by using an attacking formation and tactical setup. I took Bradford from L2 to CH in two seasons, leading the division in January. Most of the players have CA of L1 standard but I dominate most matches anyways. Of course, I started the season well and kept going - it is much harder to turn things around when morale and form is poor. Rather than defending with everyone hoping for the best (which may work of course) I prefer punishing their confidence and careless defending, so I use the same 4-2-4 tactic both away and home against any opponent regardless of status.

You can find my tactic thread a bit down on the tactic uploads page, forgotten and lonely *snif* :D

I would love to get responses; both good and bad, ideas and questions!

Well done getting grimsby promoted all the way to L1. Usually when I'm on a bad run, I tend to try to go ultra defensive, no goals conceeded = at least 1 point (depending on whether or not your team scores). Not conceeding any goals will help boost morale, and usually when your ultra defensive, sometimes you can sneak a goal and win the match 1-0.

i in league one with halifax and sitting in the play-off spots, but at the start off the year we had a horrible run 10 points out off 11 games and knocked outta the cups too.. simply change off tactic's and dropping the players which wore playing poor and everything seems to be going well now

Archived