Stay away from that Trap(ani) door: an Italian lower league adventure

withnail316

Wasn't too happy with the way my other thread was progressing, so I've decided to start again with a little more detail. Here we go then, technical stuff first:

11.3 with no edits (although I'm using the original data-base)

Loaded all leagues from England, France, Germany, Holland, Italy, Portugal and Spain

Medium player data base, 49,000 players.

English manager with Scottish roots, with a Sunday League reputation.

Ambitions

As I'm sure some of you know, my team Notts County have a link with Juventus which goes back to the dawn of time (possibly). As I'm setting out in this career to pretty much avoid England (at least for a good couple of decades or so) I'd love to acquire the Juve job at some point down the line. Still, that's a long, long way away just yet.

In my entire FM11 career, I've only played in two of the countries loaded (England and Holland). I'd therefore like to try at least two of them, but I've already decided that Italy will be my home to start with. Hopefully I can stay in a job for more than a few games!

trapanicrest.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Trapani Calcio

(from Wikipedia)

Trapani Calcio is an Italian football club located in Trapani, Sicily. The traditional club colours of Trapani is maroon, known in Italian language as granata. During the club's history they have played mostly in the Serie C and D leagues, and currently play in Lega Pro Prima Divisione. To date the highest league position the club has finished was 4th in Serie C1 during the 1994–95 season. Throughout their long history, Trapani have won at least six recorded league championships in various divisions.

Trapani's main rival clubs are S.C. Marsala 1912 and G.S. Mazara 1946, from the neighbouring cities of Marsala and Mazara del Vallo. A rivalry with U.S. Città di Palermo is also existing, but lightened by the distance in terms of divisions; Palermo and Trapani have in fact both played together Serie C1 for a very short amount of years.

Did you know?

Infamous Italian defender Marco Materazzi made 13 league appearances for Trapani in 1993-94. He also scored 2 goals for the club as they narrowly missed out on promotion to Serie B.

First impressions

So I've got a bit of a mixed feeling on my first day at the club. There are plenty of positives, the club has a bank balance of more than £2m, and to go with that there's a decent amount of cash in the budget, too. Also, there's a decent stadium, one of the biggest at this level with a capacity of 10,000 and it is in a good condition. However, the squad is absolutely awful despite the assurances of my Assistant Manager. Time to hire some scouts, I believe!

For the record, the club expect me to steer clear of relegation, and have given me a transfer kitty of £170,000, with £15,750 for wages. The club is spending £8,000 a week, so that's a reasonable amount of money to play with. Hopefully I can attract a few decent players.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

trapanicrest.jpg

A very busy first few weeks in charge. A huge turn over in players, with 20 players coming and 6 leaving. Pretty much the entire squad when I first arrived is on the transfer list, and because the club is pretty healthy financially I'm prepared to let them all leave on a free. Just get off my wage bill!

Anyway, players are in are below (if no nationality given they're home grown)

GK Phil Imray (Eng/NZ) free

RB Fabio Di Fausto free

LB Allessandro Cibocchi free

ST Gianluca Palmiteri free

AM Cristian Puruchini (ARG) free

ST Maximo Irrazabal (ARG) free

AM Aimane El Gueribi (FRA) free

CB Xavier Meride (FRA) free

ST Badawassi Lorie (TOG) free

ST Guilherme Mauricio (FRA) free

CM Kuami Agboh (TOG) free

CB Arnaud Faget (FRA) free

CM David Dargelosse (FRA) free

CM Luca Ferrari free

CM Luis Fernando Centi free

CM Claudio Pani free

LB Luca Lacrimini free

ST Papa Dieye (SEN) free

CB Carlo Teodorani free

Plenty in then, the majority thanks to my scouting appointments, but a couple down to past knowledge. (Yes, I know that's frowned upon, but with a totally unfamiliar league, a familiar face or two helps! I'm setting up to take my 4-3-1-2 system into Italian football initially, but if I need to change it then I'll look into it. I'm still a little short defensively, so hopefully I can find a couple of gems over the course of the season.

I sacked a couple of younger players who had no future at the club (or in the game, in my opinion) as well as allowing 6 to leave on free transfers.

Thankfully, there's not too much pressure with the job, and I'm pretty sure what I've brought in will be good enough to keep me up.

Friendlies

The early cup ties caught me by surprise! Three friendlies cancelled thanks to the draws, but have to roll with the punches...

FR Trapani 4-0 Trapani U20s

A good solid win against the youngsters was ideal for confidence. 2 goals from Guilherme Mauricio and a pair of own goals set up a good victory. Just as importantly, no injuries picked up.

FR Trapani 2-0 Trapani Reserves

Another comfortable win, but the first half was pretty sloppy. An angry half time team talk and the second half was much better, a goal apiece from Badawassi Lorie and David Dargelosse gave me the victory.

FR Trapani 1-1 Paganese

My first game against a team outside my club was against a side a division higher. A good start, Guilherme Mauricio scored an early penalty and we looked pretty comfortable. I made several changes in the second half, and although I conceded in injury time, I still couldn't complain too much.

FR Cologna Paese 0-1 Trapani

Not impressed with this performance. A game against a non-league side, I expected a good comfortable victory. Instead, I had to settle for a single goal victory thanks to my left back Luca Lacrimini's stunning strike.

Cup ties

IC Ternana 2-3 Trapani (aet)

My first competitive game, and it was a trip to the 22,000 Libero Liberati, home of Serie C1/B Ternana. I fell behind early on to a simple header from a corner (I HATE conceding goals like that!) but the side rallied. Guilherme Mauricio levelled just before half time, only for me to fall behind again in the 90th minute. Of course, I then went all out attack, and somehow Badawassi Lorie levelled in injury time. Extra time was mental, they dominated from start to finish. However, from my one chance in the 118th minute, midfielder Claudio Pani nodded in from close range, and I was through.

Serie C Cup Trapani 2-0 Milazzo

The lower league cup brought my first competitive home game against fellow Serie C2/C side Milazzo. A pretty comfortable game, an early goal from Mauricio set me on my way, and a header from Kuami Agboh gave me a solid home win.

Serie C Cup Vibonese 0-0 Trapani

Not much to say about this one. Not many chances, but another clean sheet in the cup.

Serie C Cup Trapani 4-0 Siracusa

The third game in the group brought about my best performance so far. Kuami Agboh scored another header from a corner after 3 minutes, and a double from big centre half Xavier Meride had me through the group stages. A late own goal, and the finest win of my tenure was secured.

Serie C Cup Gela 1-4 Trapani

Well this one was a surprise! Gela are a side from the division above, yet we ripped them apart. Young Italian striker Gianluca Palmiteri scored his first goal for the club to give me an early lead, and despite Gela equalising straight away, Aimane El Gueribi scored a thunderbolt to put me back in front. Senegalese striker Papa Dieye scored the third with a close range header, before a late own goal put the icing on the cake.

I used to love Trap Door! "Bert!" :D How doyou find the formation you've chosen? Does the narrowness of it cause any problems?

Believe it or not, I chose my club because of the potential thread title ;o) ...now for my next career I need to add Optimus Prime to the title!

As for the formation, it's absolutely fine so far. It is a favourite system of mine, but I do need fit full backs (and that can cross!) for it to work. Having two defensive-minded midfielders really helps though, so even if I'm caught on the break I've still got defensive options.

I would suspect that higher up the Italian football echelons I'd have a couple of problems, mind.

The start of the league

SC2/C Avelino 0-0 Trapani

My first league game was against one of the pre-season promotion favourites. It finished goalless, but I have no idea how, especially as Avelino had two men sent off. Still, a good solid point away from home, can't complain too much.

SC2/C Trapani 2-2 Brindisi

My first home game was a real roller-coaster. I fell behind twice, the first from another corner (:mad:) but Mauricio grabbed his first league goal with a delicious chip, and despite them scoring 10 minutes from time, Papa Dieye rescued a point three minutes into injury time.

IC Pescara 3-1 Trapani

My reward for progressing through the first round of the Italian Cup was a trip to Serie B Pescara. I expected to get beaten, and that's exactly what happened. They demolished me in the first half, three early goals and I was as good as done. A late consolation from Badawassi Lorie was the only reward for my fans who'd made the trip, and so my unbeaten run was over.

SC2/C Isola Liri 0-1 Trapani

The epitome of dour. A late goal from young striker Gianluca Palmiteri though was enough to give me a first league win.

SC2/C Trapani 4-1 Vibonese

My second game in a few weeks against Vibonese, and this time I got the victory. A double from Mauricio and a screamer from Peruchini set me on my way, before a late tap in from Dieye rounded things off.

SC2/C Catanzaro 0-5 Trapani (change of approach!)

Lorie, OG, Centi, Palmiteri, El Gueribi

SC2/C Trapani 4-0 Pomezia

Lorie (2) Mauricio, Meride

Serie C Cup Lecco 1-6 (SIX) Trapani

Undoubtedly my best performance so far. A thumping win, despite playing for 88 minutes with 10 men. An early red card for Giacomo Filippi, yet we ran riot. Gianluca Palmiteri netted a hat-trick, before Pagliarulo, El Gueribi and Papa Dieye really rubbed it in.

SC2/C Trapani 1-0 Milazzo

Meride

SC2/C Campobasso 0-6 Trapani

Lorie (3) Centi, Meride, Palmiteri

Serie C Cup Verona 1-0 Trapani

SC2/C Trapani 0-2 Melfi

SC2/C Neapolis Mugnano 0-1 Trapani

Mauricio

SC2/C Trapani 1-0 Vigor Lamezia

Maximo Irrazabal (first goal of his career)

SC2/C Latina 2-3 Trapani

Mauricio, Meride, Dieye

SC2/C Trapani 2-0 Fondi

Centi, Meride

SC2/C Matera 0-2 Trapani

OG, Palmiteri Both Aimane El Gueribi and Guilherme Mauricio, two of my key men, were injured in this match. Both are expected to miss three months of the campaign.

SC2/C Trapani 4-1 Aversa Normanna

Lorie, Centi, Meride, Dieye

trapanicrest.jpg

Mid-season break 2010/11

It's been a decent season so far, but of course, nothing is won in the first half of the season. Having said that, it's very nice to see the table at this stage of the season:

traptable15.jpg

Having only lost 1 game in the league, I really can't complain about my form. I am slightly nervous about the sheer number of injuries I'm picking up, and to vital players too. If I'm honest, I've never known anything like it! Of the 15 league matches, there's only been ONE where none of my players did not pick up some kind of knock, which has been a bit of a shock considering I generally like a small squad. Pesky Italian defenders!

As a result, I've asked the board to expand my wage budget, and to my shock they agreed. I've now got a couple of grand to play with, and I'm aiming to sign at least a new centre half and centre midfielder. I'll also look to use the agreement with Lazio the board agreed earlier in the season, and hopefully bring in a couple of youngsters on loan.

Overall though, I'm really pleased. Hopefully I can keep this run of form going.

Great start! Hopefully you can keep it up!

Fingers crossed. After a start like this, I'd be disappointed if I don't at least take a play off spot, but the injuries are worrying. At least I've got a month or so now to identify a couple of new targets. My scout keeps recommending a left-back (who is brilliant) yet it is one of my strongest areas. Really should save the money for a player I actually need, though!

Fingers crossed. After a start like this, I'd be disappointed if I don't at least take a play off spot, but the injuries are worrying. At least I've got a month or so now to identify a couple of new targets. My scout keeps recommending a left-back (who is brilliant) yet it is one of my strongest areas. Really should save the money for a player I actually need, though!

I get that a lot. Be careful, in my first season, I was 6th until 10 games to go, when I nose-dived.

A fairly quiet winter break, it would seem.

Had a bit of a struggle in the transfer market, I could only identify two players who were available and could make a difference to my squad. As I said previously, I was after a central defender and a midfielder, and so the signing of Reinhard Breinburg, a defender who is equally adept in midfield, was a bonus. I also finally took up my scout's suggestion of signing left back Benjamin Genot, which means I'm now pretty happy defensively.

I'm still short of options in my trequartista role, with two of my three options suffering with injuries. I've another 2 weeks or so to pick up another one, but I'm pessimistic. I'm just going to have to hope the second half of my season is a little kinder on the injury front.

SC2/C Trapani 0-0 Avelino

SC2/C Vibonese 0-4 Trapani

Palmiteri (3) Centi

SC2/C Brindisi 2-1 Trapani

Lorie

SC2/C Trapani 0-1 Isola Liri

SC2/C Trapani 1-0 Catanzaro

Mauricio

It's been an awkward spell, which included two back to back defeats. Luckily, the other sides towards the top of the league are taking points off each other, so I'm still 6 points clear at the top with 10 games left to play.

SC2/C Pomezia 2-2 Trapani

Meride, Lorie

SC2/C Milazzo 1-1 Trapani

Dieye

SC2/C Trapani 1-0 Campobasso

Dieye

SC2/C Melfi 1-1 Trapani

Meride

SC2/C Trapani 1-0 Neapolis Mugnano

Dieye

A better run of form, but a long way away from how I was playing early on in the season. To make matters worse, my injury list is nothing short of horrific. In all my time playing FM, I've never ever known anything like it. The match against Mugnano was the sixth time I've suffered three injuries in one match this season, and I'm generally getting at least one or two every game. It's like a squad full of Darren Anderton's!!

SC2/C Vigor Lamezia 0-3 Trapani

Lorie (2) Mauricio

SC2/C Trapani 3-2 Latina

Agboh, Lorie, OG

SC2/C Fondi 1-0 Trapani

SC2/C Trapani 2-1 Matera

Centi, Mauricio

trophytrap1.jpg

promotiontrapcrop.jpg

(A statue after one season? Result!)

SC2/C Aversa Normanna 2-1 Trapani

Ferarri

Final table

finaltabletrap.jpg

Serie C Super Cup

Another tournament that caught me by surprise! I was due to play the winners of the other regional divisions, who were San Marino and Pro Vercelli. The first fixture was played between those two sides, with San Marino winning 3-0.

Serie C Super Cup San Marino 0-3 Trapani

A goal in each half from Guilherme Mauricio put us in complete control, before Badawassi Lorie grabbed a late third. Very comfortable.

Serie C Super Cup Trapani 2-0 Pro Vercelli

Another early strike from Mauricio, and a towering second half header from Papa Dieye, and another trophy for the cabinet.

trapsupercup.jpg

Cheers Daz. It's been a bit of a slog, but really enjoyable. Looking forward to next season already.

I must admit to being tempted with going to Italy once I am finished with Santa Clara after reading this thread. But the co-ownership does my head in. I understand it perfectly but it is just plain weird!

I must admit to being tempted with going to Italy once I am finished with Santa Clara after reading this thread. But the co-ownership does my head in. I understand it perfectly but it is just plain weird!

I've not encountered co-ownership at this level yet, but I'm sure I will further on down the line. It's something I intend to avoid if I can, but I'll cross that bridge when I have to. My biggest concern is finances, but I'll come to that!

trapanicrest.jpg

Season summary: 2010/11

League

Media prediction: 15th (of 16)

Finished: 1st (promoted)

Cups

Italian Cup: beaten in 2nd Qualifying Round

Serie C Cup: beaten in 2nd Round

Serie C Super Cup: Winners

Top scorers

Badawassi Lorie (35 app/15 goals)

Guilherme Mauricio (31 apps/ 14 goals)

Gianluca Palmiteri (24 apps/ 11 goals)

Papa Dieye (25 apps/ 10 goals)

Xavier Meride (38 apps/ 10 goals)

Positives

Well, I have to say that was one of my most enjoyable seasons ever. It was a total unknown for me, as I have absolutely no knowledge of Italian football beyond Serie B, and so to finish up as champions was brilliant. I'm quite happy with the vast majority of my signings, although I think the best was either Xavier Meride or my poacher in chief, Guilherme Mauricio. Meride scored 10 goals from defence, and finished the season with an average rating of 7.37.

Concerns

You'd think this section should be empty after a season like that, wouldn't you? Well, unfortunately I do have a few worries. The first one is simply the age of my squad, as pretty much all of my key players are 29 and over. Indeed, both Meride and Mauricio are 36, so I'm going to need to replace both in the next 12-18 months. My second worry, and perhaps even more concerning is financial. The club have lost £800,000 since I took over, and that's without me spending a penny on transfer fees, and having the third highest crowds in the division. Hopefully the crowds will increase again next season. My third concern is some of the contracts that have been offered to players before I took over. There's so much deadwood still hanging around with 2 and 3 years left on their contracts, and absolutely no interest in them from other clubs.

Ambitions

The aim for next season will be survival of course, but I'm determined to bring down my squad's average age. I'd also like to give the club a more Italian feel, and so ideally all of my transfers in the summer will be domestically based.

trapanicrest.jpg

2011/12 Season preview: Serie C1/B

Media prediction: 16th (of 18)

Board expectations: avoid relegation

It's been much quieter as far as transfers in are concerned this time around, but I'm certain that the players I've brought in will increase the quality of the squad. Although I'm a little concerned about money I decided to spend a few quid, which is quite a rarity for me! Anyway, here's a quick list of the players to come in:

32yrs GK Anthony Basso (FRA) free

29yrs CB Yoann Bourillon (FRA) £20,000

20yrs CM/AMC Riccardo Pasi £30,000 (from Parma)

20yrs CM Alessandro Florenzi £100,000 (from Roma)

22yrs CF Antonio De Matteis £10,000 (from Isola Liri)

19yrs CF Mattia Gallon (loan from Cagliari)

I also allowed several players to leave, including Maximo Irrazabal. Decent player, but just too injury prone for my liking. In the end I let 10 players leave, but only two were my signings. I made about £20,000 in transfers, but my wages are well under budget. I've got high hopes for the two midfielders, both are 20 year old Italians, and I also see De Matteis as the long-term replacement for Mauricio. He's only 22, but there looks like plenty of talent there.

Here's a couple of images:

pasitrap.jpg

florenzitrap.jpg

dematttrap.jpg

My immediate concern is that I've only played one friendly so far, with 5 days left before the first Cup tie. This is simply because my players fitness has been ridiculous, an entire squad below 70%, hence taking on a second fitness coach. It looks like the cup ties will simply be warm up games! However, plenty of time to go before the league starts. Can't wait to get underway!

A statue after one season? :eek:. A great season overall and always nice to claim some silverware :thup:.

However, it's looking a bit worrying on the financial front. 113% is a lot. Are you prepared to sell players to make up for the losses or do you have a different strategy to help with the finances...apart from having a rich, Arab tycoon take over? ;)

A statue after one season? :eek:. A great season overall and always nice to claim some silverware :thup:.

However, it's looking a bit worrying on the financial front. 113% is a lot. Are you prepared to sell players to make up for the losses or do you have a different strategy to help with the finances...apart from having a rich, Arab tycoon take over? ;)

Yeah, a little silverware is always nice. Nothing like going up as champions.

And yes, the finances are worrying. It's frustrating that the reason for the problem is down to the board, not myself. However, I'm not going to hit the panic button just yet. Although I'd rather not sell any of my first teamers, the truth of the matter is that nobody is irreplaceable at this level. If there are any decent offers, I'll definitely consider them. First priority though is to shed some of the fat from the reserve team, and after that I'm prepared to let a few of the coaches and scouts go. (I've got FIVE scouts: I could easily let a couple leave if need be)

Ultimately I'm losing about £70,000 a month, or £16,000 a week. If I can halve that then I'll feel better, but I'm not going to take any drastic action just yet. I've played a few games of the new season (update to follow) but my crowds are yet to settle into an average. Once I know that, I'll have a rough idea. (I also have a possible short term solution, but I'll come to that!)

trapanicrest.jpg

Friendly

Trapani 2-0 Trapani U20s

Palmiteri, Lorie Had 6 of my squad still on extended holiday by the time this game came around, so I was more than happy to take a two goal win. As I said further up though, the severe issues I had with fitness meant this was the only friendly I'd get to play.

Cup ties

Italian Cup 1stQual Benevento 0-1 Trapani

Pasi

IC Ascoli 1-1 Trapani AET (3-4 on pens)

De Matteis

IC Alessandria 0-0 Trapani AET (4-5 on pens)

Played from 70min with 9 men after an injury and red card… and excitingly, the reward for this improbable victory was a trip to play Napoli at the 60,000 San Paulo. Now I'm not expecting a sell-out, but any kind of half-decent gate will help out my finances.

Start of league

SC1/B Benevento 0-0 Trapani

A good start to the new league season, against a side who hadn't been beaten in fifteen league games.

SC1/B Trapani 2-0 Gela

Dieye, Mauricio

After the game, the announcement was made regarding season ticket sales:

tickets1112trap.jpg

That's a huge growth, so hopefully my gates will climb significantly this season.

SC1/B Viareggio 0-2 Trapani

Centi, Dieye

SC1/B Trapani 1-1 Andria

Pasi

SC1/B Trapani 0-2 Foligno

An extremely frustrating home defeat, including a missed penalty.

However, after five games I'm sat 8th in the table, so I can't complain too much.

SC1/B Ternana 3-2 Trapani

De Matteis (2)

SC1/B Trapani 1-0 Foggia

Dieye

Serie C Cup Como 1-3 Trapani

Dieye (2) Di Fausto

SC1/B Trapani 4-1 Virtus Lanciano

Mauricio (3) OG

SC1/B Taranto 3-2 Trapani

Pani, Dieye

table9games.jpg

Here's the table then with a quarter of the season gone. 5 points behind leaders Pescara, but also only 5 points outside of the relegation play offs. Pretty much the epitome of mid-table, and so frustratingly inconsistent all over the field.

SC1/B Siracusa 2-2 Trapani

Dieye, Bourillon

Serie C Cup Virtus Lanciano 1-3 Trapani

El Gueribi, De Matteis (2)

SC1/B Trapani 3-0 Cosenza

De Matteis, Gallon (2)

SC1/B Pescara 4-1 Trapani

Gallon (utterly schooled by the league leaders. Ouch)

SC1/B Trapani 4-1 Barletta

Pasi, De Matteis, Gallon (2)

That's me done for the night, a good place to stop. Three wins in 5, and on the fringes of the play offs.

Archived