Messi Retires at 31

Although he has suffered a crutiate ligament injury he would be fit by the summer and would only be 32, however he has announced his retirement. This seems a little odd. If he was 34 or 35 then fair enough, but he is young enough to come back from this injury, and looking at his previous stats, even if he was half the player he would still be exceptional.

lionelmessioverviewprof.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

lionelmessioverviewinfo.png

lionelmessihistorycaree.png

Anyone else had anything similar?

I could see that happening.

He is widely considered to be one of the greatest players ever and I think everyone expects him to keep producing at the highest level. If someone turned round to him and said "After this injury you will not be as good"; I'd suggest he'd retire having played the best football around for over a decade rather than become a bit part player.

What the hell? Why would he retire when he's still obviously producing at a high level.

Ridiculous.

Now I fear for any of my players getting a long term injury.

i wouldnt worry, my 37 year old centre back missed 5 months of the previous season with a bad injury, he never retired, the chances of a player retiring are very very small.

Nope I wasn't his manager, he was EPIC at Barcelona. I'm Malaga and we've not been able to touch Barca because of Messi.

He is retiring from all football, not just internationals so this is a real mystery to me as he is still world class.

His injury history showed a lot of injuries through his career, 4 or 5 a season, so I'd say he is injury prone in my game.

His injury history showed a lot of injuries through his career, 4 or 5 a season, so I'd say he is injury prone in my game.

That would maybe be the reason, i seem to remember him being very injury prone in older versions and his stats would dive by the time he was 31/32, i guess in this example he has decided enough is enough, shame he would still be amazing with those stats.

Only in Italy. Macheda at 28 scored 71 goals for Juventus. - was in all competitions though. I think he scored 57 in Serie A

if that happened to me i would have unistalled the game

Macheda is not a 71 goal man!

ok but thats in about 4 competitions though not just the league

There is also a Keirrison save where he scored 150 goals in all competitions, scoring that many then at least 70 of them would be in the league. I think the user was called Santy.

if that happened to me i would have unistalled the game

Macheda is not a 71 goal man!

Still didn't win the league though :lol:

But Macheda always turns out to be a beast in the game, he currently is at Numancia on my new save and he's scored 23 goals in 35 games.

im sorry but that could only happen if theres cheating going on

Nope it was a tactic which i tried out also, your team would just bang them in on a regular basis, I tried it with my Inter side and Eto'o scored 12 goals in 3 games - this was on fm11. I stopped using the tactic because it felt far too easy. It was a bizarre formation where you would also concede stupid goals.

That would maybe be the reason, i seem to remember him being very injury prone in older versions and his stats would dive by the time he was 31/32, i guess in this example he has decided enough is enough, shame he would still be amazing with those stats.

That could well be the reason, but he's still good enough in my game. I only took the Argentina job so I could work with Messi as there was no chance of buying him and I wasn't going to leave Malaga. Well, I had 2 games with him. Never mind.

Nope it was a tactic which i tried out also, your team would just bang them in on a regular basis, I tried it with my Inter side and Eto'o scored 12 goals in 3 games - this was on fm11. I stopped using the tactic because it felt far too easy. It was a bizarre formation where you would also concede stupid goals.

this is all getting too much for me.

i always have top strikers but never anything close to these

Only in Italy. Macheda at 28 scored 71 goals for Juventus. - was in all competitions though. I think he scored 57 in Serie A

If this is in FM12, then the Man Utd researcher should be absolutely ashamed of himself. I'm a Sampdoria fan, and I can say with good authority that Macheda is very average indeed. I'd give him -8 PA, or 150 if I had to give an exact figure. Judging from the stats, it seems he's got -10, which is ridiculous.

Haven't seen many retirements due to injury on my save, but the amount of good young players that retire because they can't find a club is rather ridiculous. U-21 players from the bigger footballnations in the world shouldn't have that much trouble finding a club. Sometimes I think that many players highly overrate their own value and I find it rather messed up that they rather retire than play for some of the teams that come in from them. With all the clauses and contract opportunities most players that have been out of a club for awhile should be able to settle with a smaller team with a contract that allows them to move up the ladder rather freely.

This seems as good a time as any. What exactly ARE the cruciate ligaments and why does damage to them cause such problems?

From my very basic understanding of knees, it is the ligament that keeps the top half of the knee in place with the bottom half. That is, its the connection of the femur to the tibia. With it torn it means that the knee can make movements that its not meant to. That is, it can rotate and slide across in ways it was not designed to do, causing further damage. Below is a diagram of the knee from wikipedia showing its location. Its size and location from what I know mean that it is hard to heal properly because in normal operation it comes under a lot of stress, so having it mend properly is of paramount importance, at least if you want to be back to how you were.

Knee_diagram.svg

For Messi, at 31 to do his ACL would be a disaster. Even if he recovered he'd be a shell of the player he was. Generally people don't heal as well as they get older and so even if he came back it would take a lot of time to get his sharpness back, both in terms of acceleration, speed, agility and most importantly balance. These are 3 attributes that without, Messi would not be the player he was. In truth I wouldn't be surprised if a 31 year old Messi decided to retire at 31 having done his ACL. Its also worth noting that some injuries can recur if such activities are performed again and maybe the ageing Messi didn't want to cripple his knee by doing his ACL for a second time.

The odd thing is, from what i can tell, messi hardly ever gets injured in real life considering the beatings opposing players try to impose on him, so i dont think he shouldnt be so injury prone....

I've always have had an issue with how injury prone messi in the game.

Crazy Paving I'm guessing you've never had knee ligament damage. Sometimes one injury like that is enough to end someone's career.

Thankfully I've not, but I'm sure that isn't a prerequisite to be able to comment on a 31 year old player retiring in a computer game? He was fit for the Copa America prior to his retirement and after a couple of games where he lacked sharpness, he was still rated 5 stars and performed well. So he wasn't too concerned about playing again? Sorry but players do come back after crutiate ligament injuries, even at 30/31.

The odd thing is, from what i can tell, messi hardly ever gets injured in real life considering the beatings opposing players try to impose on him, so i dont think he shouldnt be so injury prone....

The last couple of years yes, but previous Messi used to drop with injuries all the time, he was very injury prone until Barca hired people just to work on his fitness and developed special training programmes that help keep him fit for longer periods. They spend a lot of money making sure he can make it onto the pitch for every game possible.

In my game Mario Balotelli got injured with knee tendonitis in 2015 for 4 months and his stats have taken a massive hit, he is now what I would consider to be a decent Championship player, he has been released by Man City and hasnt been picked up yet by anyone, so maybe he will retire. Steven Gerrard in my game also had quite bad stats after an injury at the start of game (or thereabouts) and retired pretty quickly and has been a youth coach ever since. All in all its pretty realistic I think.

In my game Mario Balotelli got injured with knee tendonitis in 2015 for 4 months and his stats have taken a massive hit, he is now what I would consider to be a decent Championship player, he has been released by Man City and hasnt been picked up yet by anyone, so maybe he will retire. Steven Gerrard in my game also had quite bad stats after an injury at the start of game (or thereabouts) and retired pretty quickly and has been a youth coach ever since. All in all its pretty realistic I think.

If the injury affects their stats then I would agree with that, however in my game Messi was just as good, he lost 1 off his pace but all his other stats stayed as they were.

i feel like we should be able to talk the press and try and convince players not to retire in situations like this. i was all set to scoop up andres lindergaard on a free after he had been out of work for 6 months when he announced his retirement at 30. i could only offer him a staff contract after that despite the fact he would go on trial with me. i wanted to be able to tell him he was still really good and should keep playing.

Archived