Player's contract demands too high so I've dropped him - question, though

As the title states, I have a player who is demanding a 100% wage increase and to be moved to "key player" status. I've tried to meet in the middle, but his agent won't budge. Fair enough, I get that. It can happen.

The thing is, I've decided to drop the player because of it. I don't want him in my team if he is going to hold me to ransom. I'm not looking for a critique of my decision or anything like that. It's just annoying me that I can't make clear to the player or to the football world why a seemingly important player is not getting in the team. Granted, I admit the reason might never come out in real life. But there'd be speculation, especially with his contract nearing an end. Instead, all that will happen is the player will get fed up of not playing. I won't be able to tell him why.

Is there a way to mention this to player or to the media? If not, wouldn't it be good if you could make it known to a player that his agent's intransigence with contract negotiations has cost him his place? Or perhaps I'm the only person to drop a player because of this and nobody else but me cares.

Hold a meeting with the player in the 'player interaction' and see if there is anything on there which you can say!!! Otherwise, let his contract run down and his wages demands may decrease because he knows he is running out of a contract if you know what I mean. Thats risky though depending on how good he is because clubs will be sniffing around.

Does the player really want to stay at your club? I think in this version players will sack agents if contract negotiations constantly break down, but they really want to stay, you could keep trying to offer him a contract until he maybe gets fed up of his agent.

Either that or just sell him and cut your losses, thats what i personally do in that situation, i sell and move on when it gets to that stage.

He's a 31 year old striker (almost 32) who has been scoring plenty of goals. I want him for next season, but because of his age, I feel there's an element of risk. In the Greek league, I'd only pay £26,000 a week to a player I felt was a virtual certainty to be brilliant. This guy would probably have another good season, but he also might not, seeing as he'd be 32 (33 in the January).

I really just wish there was some way of telling him I'd dropped him for being too demanding in contract talks.

No one player is bigger than the club :thup:.

Agreed. This is why I won't be held to ransom and why I've dropped him. But I can't convey this to him, or to the media. And the media won't speculate about it anyway, which they should do.

Archived