how to defend buggy throw ins?

yes you read right, Im conceding more than 3/4 of my goals from throw ins. you want to know how? well, throw in for the opposition in my own third, sending 2,3 men into my box, at least 2 or 3 coming short and offering short options for the throw in taker and off course, none of my players are even thinking about marking those three and it often looks like that: throw in taken short, either the player, who gets the ball, runs down the line and immediately crosses, which will end up almost 50% in a goal, or hes playing back to the guy, who has taken the throw in and hes sending the ball immediately, like a rocket into my box in which off course a striker is waiting and finishing. its such a shame, Im really getting annoyed and frustrated, that the ai is marking my short options pretty well, but I cant do the same thing. im playing a 4231 deep formation and really dont know, how to solve this problem. all of my players on the field, except the striker playing on tight zonal marking. does anyone else having such a problem? set pieces are just awful in case of defending. it really takes the joy out of the game, when you create a superb tactic, beat arsenal at emirates with 5-1 6 clear cut chances but then lose at old trafford away, even equalizin 3 times, because 2 of the goals you concede coming from corners and the other 2s from throw ins, in which carrick, whos completely unmarked gets the ball in front of my box and just sends it behind the net and once rooney wins a header against distin...

hope somebody could help me, as when Ive solved this problem, this tactic could be very amazing :D

I have not come across a way of controlling player positions when defending a throw-in without compromising my overall defensive approach, it's damn annoying when your fullbakc will leave a player unmarked because he's standing on the goal line.

There is no offside on throw-ins, and players in offside aren't marked. This means that players standing in offside on throw-ins aren't marked. If the defending is good overall, most goals will come from long-shots, set pieces and personal errors by the defenders.

I am not struggling with this problem with my tactic. The entire team is on an Attacking mentality (first click) and the four defenders all have Closing Down Whole Pitch (first click) while six other players have max closing down. So they are quite aggressive, and I think that may be the reason the throw-ins aren't so dangerous... there is less time for them to do their thing.

If you have aggressive players too I don't know what you can do other than keeping the entire team back on defensive and attacking throw-ins, like I do.

I guess it has much more something to do with either the normal throw in settings, free kick or corner settings. cause I can often see, that considering the position, where the throw in is, my team is often set up like I did in corners or free kicks. just wanna know, which of those settings are responsible for defending throw ins, cause its really awful, that 3 opposition players can move arround without being marked and can easily cross without any pressure. the most goals I concede coming from throw ins. when I could just find a solution for it, I could easily finish a season with less than 20 goals conceded with a side like everton...

There is no offside on throw-ins, and players in offside aren't marked. This means that players standing in offside on throw-ins aren't marked.
Which is why it gets my goat so much & if to add that little extra annoyance if a player takes up an offside position at a free-kick your defence will dutifully drop a little deeper to play him onside.

Archived